Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell Fibe extract recording to external device?

39K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Hello,

I apologize if this topic has been discussed but I cannot find the thread.
How would I be able to extract a taping from the new fibe Pvr ?

I know there may be some hardware required to convert video onto a laptop for example

thx
JR

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I second the consumer DVD recorder option. I have owned a DVD recorder set top for years. I record very important shows off my pvr onto DVD for permanent archiving. Mind you, the stuff that has copy protection may not work, but typically I had great success with sports, news, music, etc just not HBO. also mind you, it will be in Standard Definition quality because DVD's are obviously standard definition by nature

#6 ·
1. By HD PVR 2 are you talking about the Hauppauge?

2. The Hauppauge can accept unencrypted HDMI signals (like from a personal video camera), however, the signals from the Fibe STB would be encrypted and you wouldn't be able to record them. You would need to use component video (plus audio) - discussed in the various threads already linked in post 2.

3. The signals would not come from the TV since TVs don't have an HDMI out. They would come from the Bell Fibe STB, but since you're probably using HDMI to go to the TV from the Fibe STB, you'd use component video to go to the Hauppauge from the STB.

4. If you're talking about a DVD recorder, which is SD quality, they also won't record encrypted signals via HDMI (if they even have an HDMI input) and would typically use a composite or S-Video signal (plus audio), which is usually not encrypted, but sometimes is.

See: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203...-your-digital-stb-please-read-first-post.html

And: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...077-faq-how-connect-vcr-dvd-recorder-stb.html

As you can tell by the complexity of the answers and the links, this is not for the casual user. You really need to know what you're doing and you really need to want it. For the occasional user, this is simply not worthwhile.

#7 ·
Hi,

My question is about downloading recorded tennis matches from PVR Fibe TV Bell (Arris) to a Macbook or external hard drive.

I move recently and my new place offer TV service with a different provider therefore I cancel Fibe TV. Before returning PVR to Bell, I'd like to download those matches.

Thanks for your help.

C.

#8 ·
I believe you'll find that the PVR will not work, period, without a subscription to Bell. If you wanted to download, you should have done so while still subscribed.

One option would have been through the use of a Hauppauge HD-PVR as part of an HTPC.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/14099-faq-recording-hd.html

The files are encrypted and cannot be simply "downloaded" to a computer for play. I also believe that with the firmware utilized by Bell Fibe, you need "authorization" every time you wish to play a recording, so, as mentioned in my paragraph 1 of this post, I think you'll find you can't even watch, much less "download". See also post 6 and other posts of this thread.

#9 ·
yeah you do not own the recordings, just the licence to "View" them. you could take my advice earlier and connect a dvd recorder to the pvr and press play on the pvr and record on the dvd recorder and create a DVD dsc with the recording, tho it will be standard definition and contain black bars on the top and bottom, but I know how to get rid of this but its for another story

#11 ·
no you can not play these shows from your USB drive when you get a new PVR, who ever told you that is blatantly lying to make you feel better, but its not true. If you want to transfer your shows from your Bell Fibe PVR, simply get a Standard Definition DVD Recorder or HD Capture device, press Record on it, then press Play on your recording, provided there is no copy right code embedded in the original signal put there by the broadcaster, you should be able to copy it to DVD or Digital File from your capture device. This is the only way possible, and if its copyrighted, there is no work around sorry.

#12 ·
I have a similar problem.
My Bell Fibe 4k PVR (VIP5662W) is acting up and needs to be replaced. As it is impossible to transfer the disk to the new unit, I was hoping I could somehow archive the recordings (even in SD).
The unit only has HDMI output so that is no-go but I also have on the network a secondary unit (VIP2502) with composite and component outputs (which I use with an old TV set). Before investing in a Hauppauge capture device, I would like to know if (and how!) those analog signals carry the copy-protection.
Can someone enlighten me?
Thanks.

#13 ·
My experience is that the platform enforces whatever copy protection is put on the channel by the channel owner, even in SD using composite output. That applies to most channels, so the only way you would be able to rerecord the programs would be to get a device that strips copy protection. I found that the same channels were copy-protected on MTS (now Bell MTS) and also on Shaw Cable and the same channels were able to be recorded through the composite output.

#14 ·
Here's my post from Rogers Ignite:

Short answer is no, the files are encrypted and cannot be transferred to a computer for viewing. The files are not on the box, they are in the cloud.

Long answer is you could purchase an HDMI to Component Video/Analogue Audio converter and feed that signal to an HTPC equipped with an Hauppauge PVR using 1080i output format. This is for "techies".

Another long answer is you could purchase an HDMI to Composite Video/Analogue Audio converter and feed that signal to a DVD recorder, but that would be 480i (SD) quality.
You can read the entire thread using the following link:

Here's additional information from a subsequent post:

@ColdGranite wrote: On both of these "long" answers, I am wondering if recent devices of this type are smart enough to understand DRM, thus rendering them useless?
I assume you use DRM as a generic term because the D stands for Digital. Both connections I mentioned are analogue and therefore DRM does not apply. There is analogue copy protection called CGMS-A, however, it rarely comes into play for TV programming and is also typically easily circumvented by techies.

CGMS-A - Wikipedia

People have used both methods I outlined with Digital Cable and I see no reason for them not to work on IgniteTV, although it's certainly possible that they would not work. A lot of the inexpensive converters I mentioned do not "respect" DRM and that signal is "stripped" from the outgoing analogue signal.

If you're using a digital connection like HDMI into a recording device or computer, DRM is usually "respected".
On Rogers Digital Cable a composite video output to something like a DVD recorder usually works without the need for additional effort. Same holds for component video to an Hauppauge HDPVR. Not sure if the same would apply with Bell Fibe. As mentioned, an inexpensive HDMI converter often "strips" any copy protection, but not always...

Of course what's happening is that the programme is not "transferred", but rather recorded in real time by hitting "play" on the sending device and "record" on the receiving device. So a one hour programme would take an hour to record, after setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.