Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Intermittent Lost Signal Problem

Tags
receivers
13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AlanF 
#1 ·
I have been a Bell Fibe subscriber for several years. It's been pretty solid. However, I recently moved to a new home. Bell was not servicing the location so I had to have them bring the wires to this address. I have a Home Hub 2000 and 4 Motorola wired receivers. Since the service has been installed at the new home, I've been experiencing intermittent problems with lost signals. Every once and a while, I'll get the message "Television signal has been lost. Please try viewing another channel or call..." This problem has occurred on all receivers. Sometimes the mere act of changing channels brings the problem back. Sometimes I have to wait. I can go several days without the issue occurring. Some days, it's pretty common throughout the day. I also experience some pixelation and stuttering here and there which I almost never had in the old house.

My home network is pretty simple: from the HH2000, I have an Ethernet connection to a hub in my home office. Connected to the hub is my Apple Airport WiFi router, WD MyCoud external hard drive, Dell all in one printer and an iMac. I use the Airport because older model Bell Fibe modem I had in the old home was not reliable. The HH2000 seems to cover the entire house and I can get rid of the Airport if it's causing the problem. Incidentally, I have a second hub installed in my garage to which a video surveillance (DVR) is connected. I use this to record and monitor the house via the Internet.

I have not called Bell tech support yet. I just want to make sure nothing in current my setup that is causing the problem. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am also having intermittent loss of signal (+pixelation, etc) for FibeTV. In my case, the signal loss coincides with the HH2000 momentarily dropping the DSL connection. This happens when the weather is bad (rain, heavy winds). In my case, most routing and wifi functions are done by a pfsense box.
I am troubleshooting the issue with Bell.
How far away is your house from the node? Do you have Internet drop outs as well? It would surprise me if your internal network was mucking with FibeTV.

#3 ·
Not sure how far I am from the node. I asked the installer when he came. He didn't let on that it was an issue but did say that it's at the outer reaches. Internet seems to be pretty solid, especially the HH2000. For some reason my Airport Express fails periodically and I switch to the HH2000 which I have setup as a second WiFi network and internet works. I'll check to see if the signal issue coincides with internet access.

I've read here and elsewhere that appliances like printers connected to a network can interfere with Bell Fibe through excessive multicasting (whatever that is). I'd be surprised. I have more or less the same setup as I did in my last house. Only difference is the new HH2000 modem and perhaps my distance to node which may or may not be a factor. Can Bell confirm if the node distance is an issue?

#6 ·
I just called Bell. They ran some remote tests and inform me that there's a short somewhere on my line. So they're sending a tech tomorrow. I asked about the distance to the node and they say it's not a factor in my case as they brought in 2 separate lines when they installed Fibe at my house. I remember the installer telling me that this was to provide me with a better quality and more reliable service.

#7 ·
I have a similar problem, every few days I loose both internet and TV. If the Home Hub 2000 does not immediately reconnect try making a phone call on your phone (I'm still using a plain old telephone, not an IP based phone). My Home Hub reconnects within a minute of making a call. Still working with Bell to understand the cause of the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.