Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Fibe STB firmware update starting May 4 (version 2.5.11032)

15K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  nicolasname 
#1 ·
In case Anyone is interested, it was announced today the starting Monday all STB boxes will begin to be updated.
Fibe TV Client version 2.5.11032 will resolve some issues customers may have experienced with the Whole Home PVR service:

Pausing of live TV
Accessing and watching recordings

The updates will roll out by postal code and should be available to all by the end of May

#6 ·
I hope it also addresses WiFi issues.

Since that restart feature has been added, my WiFi has tanked in speed on all devices. Reboots didn't help.

The main computer has since been connected via cat5e cable and full speed returned.

Will be keeping an eye on the version number change, then retest.

No changes have been made to the default install.

Cameron

#7 ·
Wifi wouldn't change with STB updates, there was a secondary update to the HH1000/2000, but it was completely unrelated to the STB updates.

If you're having issues with wifi, I'd suggest logging into the router, changing the channel from Auto to a fixed channel, pick 1,6,11 nothing in the middle.
It you're in a busy area, it's possible you have a neighbour that got a new router that's causing interference with yours.

#9 ·
Update number?

Nitra Is the update number hardware specific? I have older hardware (VIP 1200/VIP1232) and last night I was asked to restart for an update, and did so. I'm now running Version 2.5.11007.1001

Don't see any new changes, including the cursed ReStart feature...

#14 ·
Today I notice that in addition to the problems with my STB receiver, now my PVR software is "Restart Funky".

Since Restart was born I had given up on my STB, but my PVR at least had a working SKIP feature and didn't appear to invoke the devil Restart feature unless specifically commanded to do so.

Now, if I pause a show on my PVR so I can go take care of something, when I return and hit play, I get the silly banner telling me "This program will be available until xx:00 PM. You might not be able to watch the full program if you pause or rewind".

If I try and skip forward I get the annoying message, "Skip is not available on this program."

Sigh.

They had a perfectly nice system that they have now officially screwed. Doesn't bode well for Bell after my latest bill shows increases (again) for TV, phone, internet. Are they trying to lose customers?

elyk

#17 · (Edited)
Patch?

Got an upgrade May 13th, 3:30 AM., here in M4C-land. Version number as Nitra specified.

As a test, started watching a show that displayed the Restart symbol. Did not invoke Restart. After a few minutes, I paused the live show. Waited a few minutes and began Play again. Got the "This show will be available..." warning. Tried to catch-up, and got the "Fast forward is not available..."

Sigh...

Edit: Tried a repeat experiment at noon. It now appears that I can pause, restart, and fast-forward on a ReStart-capable channel. I can also rewind and then catch up, as long as I don't rewind past the point where I started watching the channel. If I do such an excessive rewind (which I could not have done before ReStart), I seem to be back in RsStart mode with all its limitations. And there's no warning that you're going to enter ReStart mode.

Oh. It also seems to matter if you pause a ReStart channel immediately, or if you wait a few minutes...

#19 ·
Absolutely loved FibeTV until the restart upgrade was added. Now, it is very painful to use as I consistently get locked into restart. I really wished we were able to go back to the previous firmware and get rid of the restart feature.

Hope that the update fixes this or I might have to go back to dreaded Rogers

#21 ·
got the update a few days ago; still some bugs to fix i my opinion. Initially we were able to push REWIND multiple times to rewind at multiples BUT now we need to rewind once; wait till it plays then rewind a second time, etc etc.

also noted some of the specialty channels DO NOT stay on pause longer then 2 minutes; hope they fix that...

#24 ·
Funny, I only started noticing the issues after I'd read this thread about the upgrade. I thought my box had been upgraded and that's why I was having problems. I used to be able to hit skip 2-3 times in a row but now I have to wait until it resumes playback before I can skip again. Very annoying. Can anyone say if that part was fixed in the upgrade?

Also, how do I know (where can I check) if I've been upgraded?

#27 ·
Hi, I'm an amateur at this, but my Bell Fibe using VIP1232 worked fine for a couple years, but since-Restart I have all these problems with pausing and backing-up on Restart channels, and just general crappyness.

Often when I am watching the PVR, and turn the volume up 2-3 clicks, the PVR stops playing and goes back to select-a-recording.

Often when watching live-tv, I change the volume or change the channel, and nothing happens, I click a few more buttons and nothing happens, then I start installing new batteries in the remote, and then all of a sudden -- 10 seconds later, all of the old stuff happens -- volume changes, channels change, mute is on and then off. The machine heard the click but was too busy to implement the command.

Is the VIP1232 just not able to handle the work, or is it the entire FIBE system post-Restart not able to handle the work? Is the new version of the Fibe PVR/Wifi box work any better?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.