Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Wireless Fibe TV Receiver (VIP2502)

125K views 108 replies 36 participants last post by  Costi 
#1 ·
Bell is finally launching their wireless receiver for $7 a month or $200 outright. It comes with a small 5GHz Motorola transmitter that ensures great reception. The PVR still needs to be cable-connected.

#2 ·
Wireless Fibe TV HD receiver VIP2502 - exclusive to Bell

Bell is the first and only TV provider in Canada to offer Fibe TV customers a wireless TV solution. Using the new VIP2502 wireless receiver, customers can place their TV anywhere they want in their home, without drilling holes or running wires – all that’s needed is a power outlet and wireless signal.

Already the best TV service, with Fibe TV and a wireless receiver, customers can watch what they want, when they want, where they want.

#5 ·
A 5 Ghz antenna/adapter will be attached by cat5e from an ethernet port on the sagemcom and must be a minimum 2 feet away from the sagemcom so it does not interfere with the wireless on the sagemcom.

THe new set tops come with a new firmware version on them that will be eventually rolled out to all the current set top boxes but no ETA on that. They also have a new sleek controller that should have a better layout. As well they all come with a HDMI cable as well.

About the new firmware version I dont know much about what the changes are but I do beleive there is a way to make it easier so that the guide will only show what channels you subscribe to.

#6 ·
It comes with a small 5GHz Motorola transmitter that ensures great reception.
Hmm, first time poster who can vouch for the "great reception". You don't happen to work for Bell PR do you?

Using the new VIP2502 wireless receiver, customers can place their TV anywhere they want in their home, without drilling holes or running wires – all that’s needed is a power outlet and wireless signal.
Personally, I think a MOCA solution would have been a lot smarter since a wired box would likely be cheaper, it would avoid the wireless interference issue, and every home has coax cable running through it.

Wireless is great under ideal conditions but what happens when you have competing 5GHZ wireless signals?

#7 ·
Wow never heard of anything coming with an hdmi cable. At least in my experience. Too bad it couldnt work wired as well as wireless to just have the option available. Do you think the new remote works on the pvr? Wish we could trade for a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#8 ·
There is a wired in version that is the exact same as the wireless with a coax input on the back. They will most likely roll out when existing stock is depleted. From what I was told the customer has the final say whether they want wired or wireless set top boxes. When you sign up for fibe tv thats something the rep should ask you.

If you already have a coax jack close to your TV (or cat5e) and you want it wired in then thats fine. Lets say you dont inow if you want to move your television around then wireless would suit you better or if you have no cable/cat5 around. There is a wireless symbol that has 4 bars on the front of box that will show the wireless strength to the 5ghz adapter so you know how strong the signal is at all times.

#9 ·
Bell already uses HPNA which is an ethernet over coax technology similar to MoCA. The whole point of the wireless receiver is to enable customers to watch TV in a room where there isn't coax or ethernet and where it would not be feasible to run wires into that room for cost or aesthetic reasons.

For example, in my home there is a bedroom without coax or cat 5, we would have to pay someone to fish the wiring into that room or have the provider run it along the baseboard from another room, which would not be aesthetically pleasing.

Lastly, had the following customer been with Bell, this solution likely would have suited him or her perfectly.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=168097

#11 ·
Hmmm... interesting. Well having wireless receivers would certainly speed up the installation time allowing them to perform more installations per day.

I'm sure they'll always have refurbished wired units for homes where wireless performance is poor or if a customer is adamant about having a wired STB.

#12 · (Edited)
Official Press Release

Bell launches Canada's first wireless TV receiver

Bell today announced the launch of the new Fibe TV Wireless Receiver, a Bell exclusive that enables customers to enjoy the Fibe experience on up to 5 additional TVs anywhere in the home - without the hassle of running cable through the house.

A Wireless Receiver Transmitter connects to a customer's Home Networking modem and works with their main Whole Home PVR to connect 1 or more compact Wireless Receivers to deliver the full Fibe TV experience to as many as 5 additional TVs around the home. Fibe TV Wireless Receivers are available to new and existing Fibe TV clients for rental ($7 per month) or purchase ($199), and include the new award-winning Fibe Remote.

"Going wireless means you can watch HD TV anywhere you want in your home -- without the hassle of running more cable across floors or through the walls of your house. All you need is a power outlet," said Shawn Omstead, Vice President of Products for Bell Residential Services. "Wireless TV is just another example of what Fibe can do that cable can't."

http://www.bell.ca/WirelessTV

Full Press Release.

http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130527_C2415_PHOTO_EN_27093.jpg

http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130527_C2415_PHOTO_EN_27092.jpg

http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130527_C2415_PHOTO_EN_27095.jpg

http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130527_C2415_PHOTO_EN_27094.jpg

#14 ·
Bell already uses HPNA which is an ethernet over coax technology similar to MoCA. The whole point of the wireless receiver is to enable customers to watch TV in a room where there isn't coax or ethernet and where it would not be feasible to run wires into that room for cost or aesthetic reasons.
A model with BOTH coax and wireless (similar to the way many media streamers have both ethernet and wireless) would have been far smarter because it would have covered everyone and every situation. Now Bell has to offer two boxes when for a few bucks extra they only needed to offer one.

Well having wireless receivers would certainly speed up the installation time allowing them to perform more installations per day.
Plugging a coax cable into the wall takes seconds so its not going to speed up most installations. My guess is that any savings will be more than eaten up by tech guys trying to figure out why the wireless signal is poor.

With Wifi signals, you get too far from your router and performance can be poor. If someone moves their receiver down to the basement and there is now a cement wall and two floors between the transmitter and receive then I'll bet there will be performance issues and truck rolls by Bell to fix poor wireless signals.

#20 ·
Plugging a coax cable into the wall takes seconds so its not going to speed up most installations. My guess is that any savings will be more than eaten up by tech guys trying to figure out why the wireless signal is poor.
Generally correct, but in "many" cases they cut off and replace the coax connector. In my single installation the tech had to do the following:
- build an 18" patch cable to connect the sagemcom to my existing coax
- replace the connector on the coax near the sagemcom
- spend over 30 minutes on his back with lots of sweat to reach into my built in entertainment unit to replace the coax wall connector
- build a 6' patch cable to connect the PVR to the wall outlet

About 1 hour spent on these activities.

#15 ·
Like I said earlier there is another STB that is going to replace the VIP 2202 (current wired STB). The picture above is the VIP 2502 (wireless), its wired brother is the VIP 2102 that will be released sometime 3rd quarter. In the wireless STB the ethernet port is not to be used at all and may cause problems if used with TV. The wired box (VIP 2102) has a coax and ethernet port on it to be wired up.

Wireless boxes will not replace wired boxes. They are designed for more flexibility and choice as what is to be used. Its just another option.

The wired box looks the exact same as the wireless minus the wireless symbol on the front and the added coax input on the back.

These boxes have been tested by motorola, at&t, and by bell for sometime now. When being trained on this new product it was in a Bell CO going through 2 concrete walls and about 60 feet away from the adapter and still had 4 bars on it. The CO isnt your ordinary house and theres a ton of interference in there.

#27 ·
Like I said earlier there is another STB that is going to replace the VIP 2202 (current wired STB). The picture above is the VIP 2502 (wireless), its wired brother is the VIP 2102 that will be released sometime 3rd quarter. In the wireless STB the ethernet port is not to be used at all and may cause problems if used with TV. The wired box (VIP 2102) has a coax and ethernet port on it to be wired up.
Hi Slamtech, do you have info on the differences between the wired boxes (VIP2202 vs VIP2102)? It seems strange that the model number is decreasing which usually means a lesser model.

#21 ·
Why are they wasting time doing this in most cases? If a Rogers guy installed the coax, I am more than willing to bet that its just fine the way it is. RG6 is RG6. Nothing changes from the plate to box.

When you say "patch cable" I read cat5e, not RG6. Mind clarifying? If it is coax RG6, its pointless to replace all of these things, unless there is an issue. Waste of time if you ask me doing it in "many cases".

#22 ·
I think this wireless box will be more trouble than its worth. 5Ghz is great, but, its still prone to signal issues, distance issues, sync issues, etc. As more and more people switch over their wireless products to 5ghz, it will eventually start causing congestion problems. If you live in a condo or apartment, I can really see this being an issue.

#23 ·
It's the same price as the standard STB and seems to have an ethernet port so I will probably pick it up.

I mentioned in other threads, assuming the wiring in your home allows it you can use powerline adaptors with a FibeSTB. Cost me $30 and I had full HD and zero issues on all my channels

#24 ·
Interesting conversation and announcement as I am looking into Fibe.

Generally correct, but in "many" cases they cut off and replace the coax connector. In my single installation the tech had to do the following:
- build an 18" patch cable to connect the sagemcom to my existing coax
- replace the connector on the coax near the sagemcom
- spend over 30 minutes on his back with lots of sweat to reach into my built in entertainment unit to replace the coax wall connector
- build a 6' patch cable to connect the PVR to the wall outlet

About 1 hour spent on these activities.

I'm curious. Wouldn't much of that work still have to be done because don't the PVR and modem have to be hardwired (i.e./ it's just the additional boxes that are wireless)?

#26 ·
And the F81's need to handle minimum of 2ghz, not the 1Ghz of Cable TV. Most Bell Installer use 3Ghz ones.

@Hugh, yes that is correct, the main PVR and Modem are hard wired.

#29 ·
The only differences I can tell between the two that it is smaller and lighter. From what I read it does have some improved performance over the existing wired set top. It also comes preloaded with the newest firmware which adds some slight tweaks such as filtering out unsubscribed channels through the favorites with just one button instead of removing one channel at a time. I have the other minor changes as well. This firmware is on the wireless stb's as well.

The new remote is a ruwido remote . It will only control the TV and receiver. It does have a better IR trasmission angle and easier layout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.