Adding extra Fibe TV boxes without a Bell visit? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Adding extra Fibe TV boxes without a Bell visit?

Hello,

Future Shop sells extra Fibe TV boxes. I'm wondering if I could just buy one of these boxes and hook Ethernet between the box and the router, without having Bell do a roll to install a box. I really, really, want to avoid having Bell visit if possible.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

P.S. I also got FibeTV successfully running over powerlines (using HomePlug 500Mbps Ethernet adaptors; they really only run about 50 Mbps after all is said and done, but good enough for Fibe TV) so I was able to avoid running an Ethernet cable to one of the rooms. I imagine a high-quality array-antenna 11n WiFi bridge would work too, but not as reliably.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 10:32 AM

I believe that somehow Bell needs to program the TV part of the Fibe modem unit. I'm also curious if I can add the boxes myself.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 03:07 PM

If you buy the Receiver with Future, you need to call Bell and Register it so they can activate it.

I am adding an extra Receiver and Bell told me If I bought it myself, I had to register it with them. If Bell instals it, a technician will come over and instal it.

$75.00 installation fees and 5.83 leasing per month and its yours at end of 36 months.

I say, give them a call and I thing there's plenty of room to negotiate. Bell is willing to pull its pants down, just to please you and having you as a customer. Cause I have a feeling, that when they reach a certain figure of customers on Fibe tv, The goodies are going to be history. Good luck

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Hello!

I just self-installed a Fibe TV box (Motorola IP1200C) and it actually works on the free test channel (CPAC channel 512). It does not see my main box, so obviously it looks like I need to call Bell or do some other extra step, and if my modem needs update, hopefully Bell can modify my CellPipe modem settings remotely (they should)

So, it proves you can self-install supplementary Fibe TV boxes.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 12:40 PM

Self install of additional boxes is totally doable.

All you need to do is call Bell up and get them to add that box to your account - I think all they need is the MAC address on it.

Just remeber - only 1 PVR per account.

Panasonic TC32LX60 | Denon AVR890 | Klipsch RB-61 / RC-10 / RW-10D | Motorola VIP 1232 (Bell Fibe)
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

About half an hour after I made my post, I called Bell and gave my MAC address. Got the box activated. They said 15-20 minutes for it to download the guide, but when it didn't finish downloading, I used the Fibe TV remote to select the "Restart" option, and all the data was all displayed after it was restarted. Took about 5 more minutes before it saw all my recordings from my main PVR box. Now the additional box behaves as if it was a clone of the main PVR box.

Obviously, you have to have that one first Bell visit to install the Internet (and first box - the PVR), but once that main PVR is installed, you can self-install your additional Motorola VIP1200 boxes purchased locally from Future Shop or Best Buy. (Best Buy sells them as model "IP1200C")

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 01:27 PM

It does seem to be valid that the new set top boxes need to have their MAC address entered onto your account. I remember the Bell Tech did do some type of "entries" when setting up my Fibe TV. Bell does send out "updates" to Fibe TV and they would need to see the boxes.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 12:51 PM
Rookie

I had a whole fiasco about adding another box last year...

I had a basement reno at the same time Fibe TV was available in my area. I had it connected via Coax to 2 TV's elsewhere in the home, and I patched an extra ethernet cable on my own from the router to the TV in the basement which wasn't finished yet. I asked the installer if it mattered if I took the third box now, or waited to get it put in later, and he said it made no difference.

2 months later, got everything finished, new TV purchased and so I called Bell to ask where I can pick up another box, as they weren't available at FS or BB at the time.

They said that they have to do it because they have to make sure it works, I can't just "pick up" a box, and it'll be $75 for them to install. I then said there's nothing really for the guy to do, just come in and plug it in. I also have every other service of theirs (Phone, Internet, 2 cell phones) and have been a customer for 10 years, so could they waive the $75. The rep said they'd have to charge my bill first, and then I can contest it and ask for a reversal.

I didn't like the sound of that, but what choice did I have? I needed a box from them.

The guy comes, and lo and behold, he was there for all of 5 minutes, most of it spent unpackaging the receiver.

The month passed, and the $75 charge appeared. When I called, they said that they don't reverse charges like that, and that's the set price, no negotiation.

I asked for a manager, who then basically said I'm SOL, that's the set price for the service. They don't provide a discount, and it's not their problem that I had everything ready for them!

I told him about the person who told me that they COULD be reversed, and he said she was mistaken, we don't do that, they have to look into that (which I seriously doubt they have..) but in the meantime, I still have to pay regardless.

So it burns me up that now they have boxes available everywhere, and all it takes is a phone call, none of this need to install it for quality control.

And there was no talk about owning the box after 36 months... I'll have to look into that.

With Bell Fibe TV coming to Toronto and my getting so early I had figured they'd want to do everything to make their new customers happy, to increase word of mouth. Nope, they're the same old Bell.

So while I couldn't be happier with the TV service itself, which is incredible IMHO (and even my wife, extremely pessimistic at first, now raves about it), I'm still peeved about being outright lied to by their service department.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Some of Bell's departments are told to deny the existence of financial breaks typically given out by Loyalty/Relations/Retentions departments. (aka "the cancellation department").

I was able to wrest several hundred dollars of discounts and refunds over the years for various things such as cell phone and refunded data overages and refunded cell long distance, by calling the competition (i.e. Bell vs Rogers), getting a price quote and approximate install date (but not yet authorizing/commiting and not giving credit card info yet), then calling the competitor back to cancel the service. Once you get transferred to the cancellation department, and very intentionally and clearly give cancellation (not a threat, but an actual cancellation attempt), giving the full details of the competitor's price quote, package type (i.e. Rogers VIP, 50 Mbps, the price quote Rogers gave you on the phone, etc) on a package that is as identical as possible to the Bell one, and install date, and clearly say you are cancelling because of the better price Rogers gave. You may have to throw in some bait in the past tense ("although I really prefer Fibe TV" and "if Bell had it for the same price I would have stayed instead of cancelling right now.") ... They may then bite. Then the "keep the customer" staff in the cancellation department (sometimes also called Customer Relations, Customer Retentions, or Loyalty department -- but don't say those terminology on the phone) Bell begins finding ways to match the price, and trying to haggle to keep you as a customer. i.e. 50% discount on 16+Mbps Internet (25 Mbps with TV off) for one year, free box (yours to keep), large discount on TV package, and even a small discount on the phone line itself.

Some people got $200 Fibe TV bills reduced to $120 this way in a successful price-match... (including me)

But if you call tech support or billing and begin demanding, they will deny that they ever do this.
Be fully prepared to follow through on cancel, and that's where the magic begins, if you keep the door open to undoing the cancel.
I probably call the cancel department once about every two years (similiar to a contract cycle) so I fall under their radar of potential cancel-department abusers (some people call every month, and this become suspicious to the company...)

You REALLY have to be prepared to cancel; with clear full Rogers prep, before you get transferred to the right department, and that the right department starts panicking to keep you... Making it possible to get new customer pricing for existing customers (exception rather than rule), at the least.

Note: I've paid 5 figures to Bell/Rogers over the last 20 years, so that may play a role in Rogers/Bell willingness to throw a bone. (apologies to Fido for that pun)

Back to topic: I have a 3rd box that I will be activating later this week. I'll be installing it over powerline networking, once my third Dlink Powerline AV500 adaptor arrives. (My new place makes it a royal pain to wire new Ethernet/Coax!)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I am considering at least going to the next step to see what they do, but the funny thing is that when I called Rogers to cancel for FibeTV, the first rep gave me the typical lame "Well, they're new so you're going to have issues from the start compared to our established system!". I said I'll take my chances with something new, so he then forwarded me to their "Retention Department"..

I explained again that I am switching to Fibe TV, and without a pause she said, "Okay, your final bill will come in the mail, thanks for your business." and that was it, not even an attempt to keep me, which I was kinda hoping, but then again I'd be missing out on the FibeTV goodness that's in my home now..
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I called Bell back to get my third box added, and it seems like that the customer service representative was now giving me some difficulty. I'll call back during the day tomorrow during business hours, to get the third box added.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-12, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I called again a few hours later, got somebody else, and was very nice/patient. I proceeded to successfully activate a 3rd box (all channels visible), although its PVR feature is disabled (not allowed to access the main PVR).

This is an interesting tidbit -- it shows it's techncially possible for Bell to activate channels but keep access to main PVR disabled. (Even if this was done by accident by Bell) I wonder if it's possible for people to call Bell to disable PVR features for supplemental Motorola IP1200 -- that would be useful for bedroom TV's where you didn't want the kids to mess up your PVR recordings, or when you're renting a room out to a student you don't want to allow access for recordings to...

I will call a third time to ask the PVR feature to be enabled, but this is low priority for that one specific box -- now that all the channels are working on all boxes.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-01-12, 10:30 PM

Only the PVR service on the entire system can be disabled. Reboot your modem and all boxes will be PVR enasbled with an IP address refresh.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 2012-02-06, 08:15 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the original poster starting this thread. I also purchased a new (second) receiver from bestbuy and hooked it up. Turned it all on and within minutes was receiving cpac and a french high def station. The first time I called to authorize the new receiver I was told no ,no no. Please pay us 75 dollars and we will install and authorize. I told them it was already installed. Even spoke to retention they would not budge. Finally got frustrated and hung up. Called back about 45 min later and asked to "register" my new receiver, no problem sir. I was finished the second call in no time and up and running in about 45 min. So the self setup process is very hit and miss. My initial setup was free and I had no intention of paying for this even if it meant a cancellation.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 2013-02-10, 04:13 PM

Additional receiver

Why can I go to "The Source" and buy a new receiver and connecti it myself. But if I want to rent one, I have to take a day off to wait for the tech and pay a $50 install fee?

When I was with Rogers, I could just go to a Rogers store to pick up a new rental receiver and self-install.

Last edited by 57; 2013-02-10 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.