Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FibeTV without Internet Add-on? Now Possible (2012.04 - Via Retentions?)

114K views 207 replies 63 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone been able to order FibeTV without their internet service bundled?
As a former BES'er I wanted to move to TekSavvy for internet and Bell FibeTV for TV only.

I know it's technically possible but has anyone been able to get It? I was told by the rep that sent me an email to 'upgrade' to Bell Fibe TV that I had to agree to the Fibe 6 service to be able to talk about if I could get FibeTV without internet.

*Update: I cancelled my phone service today Jan 31. With the UBB and caps the internet service part is getting me down. I like the TV but I want to get my own dam internet on my terms please!

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
#3 ·
The CRTC recently heard arguments for this. Bell says they can't separate FibeTV and Fibe Internet, which was largely proven to be hogwash. We're still waiting on the CRTC's decision on it.

I would honestly wait to sign anything with bell, as the UBB stuff has gained the attention of the government. Look for some changes in the next month.

Keep in mind, "Fibe" internet has nothing to do with "Fibre". There is no fibre optic service from bell to the home.

#4 ·
So I can not seperate my home phone line or internet all because of bogus technical poopie. The fact is, it is possible to break out all the services with the technology and systems Bell has today. I am not looking to use the line for 'other internet' I want my internet through TekSavvy cable service and the standard home phone switch is a simple computer billing issue not a technical one. I feel trapped by Bell. I like the BES TV service but not liking how Bell is handling this forced bundling.

#5 ·
Sigurdson has a point; its not because they have to setup an internet service at your home to deliver the TV service that they should also force you to purchase a "data plan". Bell is an old company with a very, very antiquated business philosiphy ... I found this out the hard way! If anything, they should just hand out a basic high speed service included in the base fee. If you think that this sounds ridiculous, then I'm sorry to tell you that you are one of the dinosaurs. :rolleyes: And we all can't wait for you to die off...

Infrastructure monopoly and blatant collusion is what allows the industry to get away with such practices. Open things up a little, and you'd all be amazed at what service they could provide - and at what prices - while remaining extremely profitable. In fact, I think it would even amaze Bell executives ...

Hey, Bell ! It's the 21st century already ...

#6 ·
The fact is it costs no more to deliver FibeTV and any internet above and beyond the Fibe TV service. I dont want any low level internet from Bell.
I pay handsomely for Fibe TV and that should cover what is needed pay for delivery it via IPTV over a local network Bell's network. Why force me to buy some other internet plan to that is in no way related to the delivery of Fibe TV.

I want to use the fact that there is not an Infrastructure monopoly to my advantage as consumer. I want only what is possible.
Fibe TV
Teksavvy Cable internet and
Yak Home phone non VoIP

Is this so hard?

#7 ·
There is no technical reason why you couldn't have Fibe TV and any cable internet. I guess Bell takes the position that since they provide internet access to deliver IPTV, it makes sense to bundle the 2 services. There are technical reasons why you cannot run IPTV, third-party DSL internet and third-party phone services on the same line.

BTW UBB is coming to cable internet in July.

#8 ·
I agree! I currently have fibe TV + fibe 7. But I hate fibe 7 quotas. When I signed my contract it was for 30 dollars of max over usage, then they went to 60 dollars to finally bill 1.5 dollar each GB...

So I went for unlimited cable and the only thing I am waiting is to be able to get rid of fibe 7!

#11 ·
Its 3 months I have fibe tv and fibe 7, and very satisfied, I have bundled my land phone, Internet and tv with Bell, and I save around $20. a month plus I have more features now than I had before. Plus the first month was free.

Above all I can record, different channels of what I am watching which I could not do before with Videotron.

Because I have the trio, I get the discounts therefore fibe-7 cost me $37 + tax

Don't forget fibe-tv and internet are both on the same line, its the modem-router that splits the tv from the internet. I think bell wants to sell both, but if you want the tv or the internet eventually Bell with have to come with a different modem-router where it will allow one one to pass.

#12 ·
Bell has invested millions of $'s to deploy Fibe TV. You need a min of 25M download so lots of fibre and remote equipment had to be installed within 900 meteres of the subscribers house. A direct benefit is they now have a high speed internet pipe to the customer. Bundling internet is just a smart way of recovering some of the capital costs.
As with anything else, the market will ultimately dictate pricing...

When I buy my gas from Petro Can they always "bundle" the prov & fed taxes in the price. I wish I had the option to pay for just the gas:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Thats the big sticking point with me for the fact that you have to have the internet to get the tv, again just like many have mentioned its more or less a cash grab, even worse is some have been told it is required to work (and from bell's standards yes) (but "NOT" in a techinical sense) I am certain that this is another punch in the bag for third party providers to have less customers, which to me is wrong, (Big Bad Old Bell) (What happend to our right to have choice and not have to bundle?) It's something that should be seriously addressed by the CRTC (but again anyone can be told what to do with the right amount of money I suppose) cough cough...Bell

#16 ·
Petro Can didn't "bundle" the taxes with the gas, the government did. I bet you'd have no problem if Petro Can demanded you buy snacks from their convenience stores every time you buy gas. After all, they have to recoup the cost of building the stores.

Rogers has no problems selling cable tv and internet seperately and it's pretty much the same idea. Bell is just trying to corner the market on the ignorant.

#17 ·
I was excited that Fibe TV is finally in my neighbourhood so I went to a Bell centre to ask about it but was very disapointed finding out that I also need to buy internet to get this. So my cost suddenly goes up by a minimum of $20-30, not to mention all the other hidden fees like installation charges which the CSR was hesitant to tell me when I asked what was the "bottom line".

Now to be honest I wanted to try Bell Fibe TV, but am very happy with my almost 80 MBPS speed from my Rogers internet (see below) and want to keep that; I only want to try the Fibe TV service from Bell.

I figure THEY need to provide internet service to deliver their TV signal to me so THEY should absorb the cost not me, which it seems they are unwilling to do. I will not use their internet even if they give it to me.

I do not think this is fair and is a huge disappointment. Looks like Fibe TV is not for me.

#19 ·
Why do you have to have Bell Internet to get Bell Fibe TV?

Okay, for the life of me, I can't figure this out.

Why can't I get Fibe TV without having to subscribe to Fibe Internet?

I can subscribe to Rogers Cable without having to subscribe to Rogers Internet or Rogers phone?

#21 ·
I appreciate they want you to bundle but companies shouldn't legally be able to force you to bundle.

#22 ·
well the black and white of it is you need internet in order to use there tv service because that is how it is delivered. also it is fibeop tv so its TV service carried over a fiber optic connection (supposedly). how is it going to be fibeop tv when you are running it over a cable or DSL connection?

and there runs into the controversy of the fibeop HD quality. is it bad because they are using the same low bandwidth streams the DSL IPTV users are running on? this is what the bell aliant fibeop users are concerned about

#23 ·
also it is fibeop tv so its TV service carried over a fiber optic connection
Fibe TV is NOT carried over Fibre Optic cable. It comes over twisted pair. I don't have a Fibre Optic cable into my home but I can still get Fibe TV.

#24 ·
I believe that the system requires "authentication" each time you wish to watch a recorded programme. This happens over the internet. If you don't have internet (or perhaps use different internet provider), then this authentication would not take place and you would not be able to watch recorded programming.

Theoretically, perhaps you could have a different provider and still have this authentication, but then if you had problems, Bell wouldn't be the sole supplier and they would need to troubleshoot (or blame) the (other) internet provider. You need to have one supplier to ensure the system works properly as a whole, due to the way the system currently functions.

I believe I read in other IPTV threads that if the internet is down, you cannot watch TV, therefore having a separate provider would be quite troublesome and no provider would not work with the current system.

#26 ·
No McPatrick. (For Fibe) the fibre optic line ends near your home at a node, be it at the curb or slightly further from your home. The "last mile" is twisted pair as discussed in the following article and many times on this forum. Almost no-one on Fibe has FTTH.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/10/myth-bell-fibe-tv-is-fiber-to-the-home/

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=146810&highlight=FTTH+FTTN

Let's stick to the topic of this thread (bundling) though since there are other threads to discuss FTTH, FTTN, FTTC.

#27 ·
I believe that the system requires "authentication" each time you wish to watch a recorded programme. This happens over the internet.
I appreciate what you are saying 57 but I don't buy it. My guess is that authentication is done over a Bell private network in the same way that Rogers authenticates your Rogers Digital cable set top box but segments cable IP traffic from Internet IP traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.