Bell Fibe TV problems and Complaints - Page 45 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #661 of 664 (permalink) Old 2017-01-09, 12:08 PM

One last update in case anyone else experiences a similar problem. PowerLine was OK but it is not able to send a fast enough continuous signal. I had some pixelation but not as much as before. As mentioned elsewhere on this board, it is too fussy for a TV signal. I finally checked all of my connections and most of them were loose. I reconnected all of them and tightened them down with a wrench and guess what....perfection. All of the TV's are working with no pixelation or sound drop. Coaxial is fully compatible with the Home Hub 2000.

This makes me really suspect the training and knowledge of the Bell techs. Shouldn't checking the connections (my was loose at the Home Hub 2000 and most boxes) be one of the first steps in isolating a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 664 (permalink) Old 2017-01-09, 12:45 PM

It looks like the root of your problems was the loose coax connection on the Home Hub 2000, which is why the problems started when that router was installed. Looking back, it seems the initial installer did a sloppy job and no one bothered to double-check. It should be fixed now. Moving the PVR to Cat5 and showing that the recordings worked confirms that the problem was isolated to the coax.

Coax can be tricky to troubleshoot, since a loose connection anywhere can affect all the attached devices. It can even be a staple or nail somewhere behind a wall or ceiling.
post #663 of 664 (permalink) Old 2017-01-14, 05:15 PM
Rookie

Dr Dave... I noticed in your reply to Techgrrl that you recommended a wired ethernet connection between her Home2000 and her VIP2262 rather than a HPNA coax connection.
Is there a reason for this? Better Bandwidth? Less interference? Better download to the downstream STB?
The reason I ask is that I have been experiencing pixelation, stuttering, signal loss etc. on my remote 2502 STB. It is currently attached thru the wired LAN connection using a pair of Netgear AVS500 Powerline adapters and a 10/100 switch.
I'm not seeing pixelation problems on the TV connected directly to the VIP2262.
I have the option of reverting to a wireless connection via VAP2500 for the remote 2502 STB if that would provide better thruput . My concern is I live in an apartment building and therefore am in a crowded wireless space.
Complicated question I know.
To net it out.... LAN, HPNA or Wireless?
Thanks for your input.
post #664 of 664 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

@bobp3008 A VAP2500 is probably a good solution in your situation. It uses 5 GHz which is far less crowded than the typical 2.4 GHz. Here's the original thread on that configuration:

Wireless Fibe TV Receiver (VIP2502)

In your situation, you are having problems with a Powerline adapter connected to a 10/100 switch, which implies there are other devices on that connection. Powerline adapters aren't always a good choice for real-time streams like Fibe TV that expect an error-free connection and don't do retransmission in the event of errors or data over-capacity.

Can you watch TV on that connection without pixelation or stuttering if you disconnect the other devices? If not, you probably are getting too many errors on the power line in your condo. Other people have run into similar problems. If errors only occur with other devices active, they are probably overloading the bandwidth available and causing lost packets on the Fibe TV stream.

I recommended Cat5 wired Ethernet for techgrrl mainly because there seemed to be problems with the coax connection. The main advantage is that it is point-to-point, so troubleshooting is much easier and the traffic is segregated from other devices. The PVR also has the most traffic and if there is any disruption in a connection the results may not be apparent until much later when you are watching a recording.

In an all-coax environment, if you have a PVR playing 3 streams to other VIP2502s, those 3 streams are sent from the PVR to the router, which then sends each stream to the appropriate VIP2502, for total traffic of 6 streams. Add in 3 new channels being recorded and 2 other TVs watching other live streams and you have 11 streams of traffic on that single coax connection. That could potentially push the limits of the portion of coax allocated to HPNA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.