Fibe, Questions.. - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the advice as there is a lot of truth to what you say. I am quite aware of the horror stories of Bell's billing and customer service. In the 5+ years of being with Videotron, I have only had one billing issue and that was this year when I bought out my old phone to get a new one and they charged me the balance of the new phone instead of the rebated price. Issue was dealt with and rectified in 5 minutes.

That being said, I ended up cancelling by appointment with Bell. Too many red flags:
1. Took over 45 minutes in store to book my appointment because "systems were down."
2. When I got the print out of my services, there was no $9.95 for the first six months. No credit on the PVR for taking the three services.
3. Videotron ofter to match the prices I'm getting with Bell plus another $5 off every month. When I called to cancel my installation, there was absolutely no attempt to keep me. Maybe they tried to call my bluff...

Fingers crossed that Videotron gets its act together this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 12:47 PM

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
Have Fibe12 internet modem. Same modem with FibeTV?

Hello all;

I've searched and haven't seen this question.

I have had Fibe12 internet for some time. I am planning to move to FibeTV from Bell Satellite when it becomes available in a month or two.

Today I wanted to upgrade from Fibe12 to Fibe16 as I need a bit more speed and more download quota. The rep informed me that since I was changing my plan, there was a new one-time modem charge of $99 that replaces the modem rental.

I asked about what happens when I move to FibeTV, but he couldn't answer it.

Do you need a different modem with FibeTV?

Rich
post #258 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 11:35 PM

Yes, the Fibe TV modem is a Connection Hub

post #259 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 09:36 AM

I moved from Fibre 12 internet to Fibre 25 and was charged the $99 dollars for the new modem. I was told it was Fibre TV ready. Infact it has appears to have connection and an indicator on it for Fibre TV. It is a Connection Hub.
post #260 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 11:55 AM

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
So, for the $99 I get a new modem, it's not just keeping the one I have now?

If I wait until I get FibeTV, do I get the modem included in the price or is it $99 then?

Also, I have my existing modem in the laundry room, which is behind the wall the current 9242 PVR is located. I have a ethernet cable running from the modem to the PVR.

The phone connection probably runs 25-30 feet somewhere inside the house before it gets to the modem. Are there length retrictions with FibeTV?

Thanks, Rich
post #261 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 06:47 PM

For Ethernet standard 100Base-T limitations apply. I don't know about HPNA.
post #262 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 04:40 PM

Wow, lots of Fibe action here! Over a hundred Bell trucks and installation personnel have been 'imported' from Ontario to clear the 25 day backlog on new Fibe FTTH installations. I met an installer from Toronto, who told me he just 'loves aerial FTTH installations' because it 'beat underground conduit work typical of large cities'. More pressure on Videotron, yipee!
post #263 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 10:10 PM
Rookie

I have an installation appointment for middle April. So far, no one can answer my question. I am told I now have FTTH (great). I will have an HDPVR and 2 receivers. After all these years, I will drop my Videotron cable internet and go Fibe. I am also switching from satellite tv to Fibe.

I have called Bell 3 times trying to find the answer to the following question and as nice as they are, they tell me they are not the technicians and aren't sure.
I am told the PVR must be connected to the modem, and the receivers must connect to the modem.

Here's the thing....my PVR and Modem will be on the first floor.
My receivers will be for the upstairs TV and basement TV.

1. Will these receivers require wires running from my upstairs TV and basement TV to the first floor modem?

2. Will my PVR have a wire running to the modem?

I presently have satellite wires going to the TV's. The upstairs ones run through our attic. Will these be removed and replaced and now attached to the modem on the first floor?

thank you for any explanation.
post #264 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 11:22 PM

Everything has to be connected to the modem. For those receivers that are replacing Satellite boxes the technician should be able to use the RG6 coax to connect them via HPNA (ethernet over coaxial). If the cables are in good shape no additional wiring should be necessary if they terminate in the same room as the modem.
post #265 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-30, 12:09 AM

Just to add to Betterthancable's description, the FTTH installation from the outside utiility pole to the modem is as follows. 'Rigid' Corning optical fiber is strung from a junction on the main fiber bundle to a junction box installed near your electric meter/utility entrance on your home. This box is an optical- to-optical junction and allows switching from 'rigid' to 'bendable' Corning Clearcurve ZBL optical fiber; this fiber (very POTS-like) then enters your home and terminates at a 'router-sized' device known as an Alcatel-Lucent Optical Network Terminal or ONT. The ONT converts light signals to digital, and is connected to the Bell Modem with ethernet wire. The modem supplies everything as described elsewhere in this thread, and beyond this point, installation is identical to an FTTN setup. Finally there is an ' AVR-sized' battery backup unit which connects to both the ONT and the modem. Because of all the wiring around these components, and the semi-permanent installation of the optical fiber cable, they are usually installed close together, in an out-of-the-way location, such as on a basement ceiling hoist. The modem can be moved around to optimize wireless reception, but it still needs to be connected to the battery back-up unit. Installers usually work in pairs; an optical fiber handler and a digital signal/software configuration expert.
post #266 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-30, 02:47 AM

Quote:
I have called Bell 3 times trying to find the answer to the following question and as nice as they are, they tell me they are not the technicians and aren't sure.
I am told the PVR must be connected to the modem, and the receivers must connect to the modem.

Here's the thing....my PVR and Modem will be on the first floor.
My receivers will be for the upstairs TV and basement TV.

1. Will these receivers require wires running from my upstairs TV and basement TV to the first floor modem?

2. Will my PVR have a wire running to the modem?
The connections work like this, for me with FTTN (I think )

Bell feed goes to the Modem.

Each TV has a Set Top Box, connected to the modem by cable.

One of the STBs has the PVR in it. All STBs have equal access to the PVR.

Computers connect to the modem, either wirelessly or through cable.

My printer also connects wirelessly to the modem
post #267 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-30, 11:01 AM

Videotron to BellFibe

BellFibe is finally available in my building but I am still on the fence about switching from videotron. Mostly because of the customer service and billing issues with bell.

Can anyone tell me if Bellfibe installs new cable lines or do they use the existing videotron cable lines.

Thx
post #268 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-03-30, 12:38 PM

@rainey, Bell will use the existing coax cable in your suite if possible for TV. The coax cable would normally connect to Bell's modem/router at the entry point to your suite. Cat5 can be used for additional outlets or computers if necessary.
post #269 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-04-02, 08:33 PM
Rookie

Well, they've come and gone and fortunately the extra receiver was able to connect using the existing coaxial cabling in the walls. Ethernet may be the better option, but at this point I don't think it's worth rewiring the house.

One additional question I do have regarding the service is about something I read on the Fibe TV website. They say that the current 25mbps allocation per line is "soon increasing to 50 Mbps":

http://fibetv.bell.ca/en/internet/

I guess this is to help accommodate those people you have closer to the maximum number of allowed televisions on their system, since all of them being on at once would eat the internet down to pretty much nothing with just 25mbps. I tried asking the installation guy whether the changeover to 50mbps would be automatic with my current setup, but he wasn't sure and said it may only be FTTH customers who'll actually get that 50mbps. I'm pretty sure our neighborhood is currently just FTTN, so I was wondering if he was right, or whether FTTN is sufficient to allow the extra bandwidth? If so, I don't really understand how Bell can offer Fibe 50 internet around here (but they do, hence my question), since I think everything except new developments would still only be FTTN.

I do wish Bell would get in gear and upgrade the full infrastructure, though. I get the dilly-dallying over the past 10 years, since they have little in the way of competition, but as they own it you'd think they'd have at least some interest in keeping it up to date.

Quote:
Fiber-to-the-Home installations require a minimum of 1.5 to 2 days of labor; there is a considerable amount of hardware both inside (Clearcurve zbl optical fiber, optical network terminal, Bell router and large battery backup) and outside (Two optical junctions; on the utility pole and another on your house to accomodate the more bendable Clearcurve zbl optical fiber which runs indoors), so once all this is installed and working, a client would not be inclined to easily switch to another provider for quite some time. There is a quasi-sense of 'moral irreversibillity', once you have an FTTH installation in your home; you will be attached to Bell for a long time. Take the time to think it over.
Does Bell actually go through all that in some cases, or is it just something they're doing in Quebec? I'd love to have Bell bring the fibreoptic cabling straight to my house, but they seem to have their own schedule.
post #270 of 904 (permalink) Old 2012-04-03, 10:51 AM

@TM2-Megatron, the maximum speed would depend on the distance from the node. If the standard speed is 25 Mbps, about half of the houses would be close enough to support 50 Mbps using FTTN.

Re: FTTH. Quebec City is aerial wiring and is much less expensive to upgrade to FTTH. Underground wiring requires a much greater investment to retrofit existing neighbourhoods and the payback is questionable.

Tags
bell , ethernet , fibe , install , internet , modem , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.