Telus Picture Quality vs Competitors - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Telus Picture Quality vs Competitors

Just wondering what others opinions are on Telus HD picture quality is compared to competitors.

I have had Telus Optik TV now for a couple years and I have to say it doesn't seem to be as good compared to Shaw especially with scenes where there is movement like sports. Hockey most notably seems to have more motion blur compared to shaw and overall is softer.

Telus' 4K which I've seen for Toronto Raptor games looks amazing and also CFL 4K games. But that's really it. I cannot get Toronto Leafs games in 4K here in BC due to blackouts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 01:37 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe Telus gets its signals from Bell. Bell sends all broadcast channels as 720P, therefore they can look "softer" than say 1080i. Here's the FAQ on the topic:

FAQ - HDTV Formats

You may wish to set the output format of the STB to 720P to minimize the number of conversions. If you watch on-demand, that may be 1080P, so you can try that...

Do you have a 4K Box? If so, then I seem to recall a thread around here about some signals not looking that great - I'll see if I can find it...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, I have the 4K box. Football looks not bad but Hockey is not great by any means in my opinion.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 07:46 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Check out the following similar discussion - posts 469 onwards and post 484, :

Fibe TV 4K discussion

Fibe TV 4K discussion

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for that. It?s interesting to see others with the same issue. I did change the resolution on the 4K PVR to 720p and it did improve the image. There doesn?t seem to be as much softness. Though I think it still not great but it is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Check out the following similar discussion - posts 469 onwards and post 484, :

Fibe TV 4K discussion

Fibe TV 4K discussion
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-21, 06:54 PM

First, izanaki, thanks for starting this thread. I was starting to think nobody cared about picture quality any more...

We're on Shaw at the moment (switched from Bell satellite a few years ago to get the whole home PVR). Telus just pulled fibre to the home throughout our neighborhood and have been hard selling Optik 4K. The price & responsiveness of the box are compelling but whenever I've been able to demo it the HD picture looked soft & somewhat artificial to me. Especially sports where there's a lot of grass or ice , even some floors looked blurred. I was wondering if it was compression artifacts. I'd have never considered that decreased resolution would improve the picture. Pretty disappointing.

Has anyone heard if Telus has anything planned to improve the PQ? They don't seem to be aware that it could/should be better. I'll try for another demo, this time in 720P. I'd also be interested in what other people think.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I cannot see the image quality improving with Telus in terms of regular HD content. It would require Telus to increase the bandwidth for HD and Telus wants to save that for 4K. Telus is ready for 4K but they need broadcasters to switch everything over to offer the content.

This means 4K cameras, 4K recording boxes, improved networks and etc.

A few things I did that also improved the image quality was change the settings on my TV. I did the following on my Samsung set:

1.) Disabled Digital Noise Reduction (this softens the image to reduce compression artifacts and noise)
2.) Reduced to Sharpness from 50 to 10. This reduces visual artifacts
3.) Disabled AUTO MOTION as this softens the image.

I'm thinking we're at least 2 whole years until the major TV networks switch everything over to ATSC 3.0

EDIT: The other issue too are that TVs are getting bigger and cheaper and with people getting bigger sets you start to notice the quality difference even more. Sitting 20 feet away with a 42" set with Telus HD looks fine but sitting 8 feet away with a 65" set amplifies any imperfections in compression, artifacts, noise and etc.

Part of my issue is being spoiled with seeing live 4K, 4K youtube, 4K netflix and Blu Ray movies... it makes you hyper sensitive Doesn't help when some one is feeding you good quality draft beer then hands you a Molson Canadian 67 ! LMAO

ATSC 2.0 would of greatly improved today's regular HD broadcasts giving us 1080 60p but it was never rolled out in favor waiting for ATSC 3.0 which allows up to 4k 60P and HDR.

Trust me, once you see sports in 4K it will blow your mind and it will be worth wait.

Last edited by izanaki; 2017-11-23 at 02:03 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 02:24 PM
Veteran

I doubt we will see much in the way of 4K on regular broadcast TV for some time, if ever, in Canada. Streaming, VOD and PPV are another matter. Those formats will continue to pioneer 4K, if only to command premium prices for content.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I doubt we will see much in the way of 4K on regular broadcast TV for some time, if ever, in Canada. Streaming, VOD and PPV are another matter. Those formats will continue to pioneer 4K, if only to command premium prices for content.

I think it will be the same way when HD 1st started to roll out. It’ll happen, just will take around 4 or 5 years from now to be standard fair for all channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sony XBR75X940D, Yamaha HTR-8063, Infinity TSS-1200, Polk Audio 8" Sub, Optik 4K VIP5662W & VIP5602W, PS4, Harmony Hub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.