Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Back up and restore PVR contents

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Telus plans a visit in June, to replace the CISCO430 PVR that we currently operate. We will lose all recordings at that time.
Question: is there a way to save the contents of the CIS430 to a computer hard drive, so that it can be restored, and useable, on the new device?
I see that there is a USB port on the CIS430. The cable would need to have the standard, flat USB plug at both ends. But beyond that, I'm clueless.

#5 ·
False. The recordings are tied to the account, not the hardware. Simply remove the HDD from the old one and plug it into the replacement box. You'll need a Torx screwdriver. Once the new box is provisioned on the new account boot it up, it will do some magic, and voila.

Hopefully your CIS430 has been retrofitted with a 500GB drive and not the original 320GB drive those came with. Also, this will only work if the tech gives you an ISB7050 which has the same size HDD. The newer IPV601x and 4K hardware have smaller drives with sleds etc. That hardware is also faster, so maybe cut your losses with recordings in favour of better performance.

#6 ·
@taras I think you're mistaken. I've followed this for a long time and never heard of anyone successfully transferring recordings to a new PVR.

You can transfer the drive, but the recordings can't be played on the new PVR, unless something has changed recently.

I don't know about the 4K PVRs, but the other PVRs do a key exchange with the head-end servers, so both the account and the decryption chip on the PVR have to match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.