Optik PVR - New Functionality (Restart) See Post 1 Link - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Optik PVR - New Functionality (Restart) See Post 1 Link

Just turned on my TV and discovered that Telus Optik has "upgraded" the PVR functionality. Now when you turn on a program you will find that you can rewind them back to the very beginning and watch the entire show (within a limited time frame). However, if you do this you will not be able to fast forward or skip commercials because these functions are disabled. The part that really irritates me is that those functions are also disabled if you pause live TV - that is if you pause, walk away and come back in a few minutes you won't be able to fast forward or skip commercials from that point on. You can get around it if you press record instead of pause but I know I'm going to screw that up a few times before I change my habits. Definitely not a user friendly change. I wonder if this is something broadcasters demanded.

Does anyone know if Shaw PVR works this way?

Edit by 57 - Link to Restart Feature provided in post 14 by @Dr.Dave , Thanks.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/.../optik-restart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 04:38 PM
Veteran

Sounds to me like its very similar to the Restart feature offered on Bell Fibe TV and Bell Aliant FibreOP TV. When you "Restart" a program you can not utilize REW or FF functions.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 04:45 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Certainly sounds like "Restart". Is there a name for this with Optik? If you set recordings, they will still function as before, so it's not a downgrade in my eyes, just another feature that some people may utilize.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I have no idea what the name Telus has put to this "feature". It showed up today with no warning.

I really don't see this as an upgrade. Previously I could turn on the news and if I got distracted or busy I could always go back (for up to an hour) and replay stories I missed without having to watch commercials or news stories I wasn't interested in . Now I can only go back 8 minutes (it turns out the rules are different for different kinds of broadcasts).

Of course I can record the news from the beginning but good luck trying to teach the rest of my family to do that.

Also, I don't see that I will ever use the 'RESTART' function.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 05:05 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA60 View Post
Now I can only go back 8 minutes (it turns out the rules are different for different kinds of broadcasts).
Is it a set time, or simply if you go back "beyond" the time when you first tuned to that channel?

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure. I haven't had enough time to experiment with it. I'll try again tonight.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

57, you are right. I guess it's not as bad as I originally thought. Tried another channel (not the news) and it looks like I can rewind back to the point that I tuned in. Still the same functionality as before.
Although, if you rewind or skip back too quickly after tuning in, you are in Restart mode without warning (i.e. no fast/skip forward). This is what caused my confusion. I guess I didn't play with it enough before starting my rant.

You can delete this thread if you like.

Last edited by CSA60; 2017-04-06 at 05:49 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 05:46 PM

Since this appears to be a new "feature", we can leave it for the information (and comments) of others.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 09:51 PM
Rookie

If you press the INFO button, for some programs there are two new additional options: "Resume" and "Restart show" (in addition to the existing options "Record show", "Record series", etc). "Resume" appears to be the same as pressing the BACK button; it closes the Information screen.

"Restart show" does what it says - it jumps you back to the beginning of the program.

When you watch a "restarted" show, it functions much the same as an On Demand title. (I'm going to start thinking of as "Live On Demand"). As others have mentioned, FFWD/SKIP is disabled. You also have a limited time to watch the show (e.g. It says "You have until 8:00PM to finish watching this program.")

Programs that can be restarted are marked in the program Guide with a "circular arrow" icon. Also, if you tune in a live program that can be restarted, there is a new "Restart Show" indicator in the program information banner.

I'm in the habit of recording all my favorite series, but even so sometimes I do find myself channel surfing live TV, when the ability to restart would be very useful.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 09:53 PM
Rookie

Note, my client version is 3.1.33569.855 (RELEASE).
(I don't know when the update occurred).
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-07, 12:32 AM
s40

I ran into the same problem, I turn on the news, and go do something else, then rewind it and jump through the commercials. I did that today and I guess I rewound it to fast, because it said that I wasn't allowed to fast forward through the commercials. I guess they are getting prepared to make you watch the commercials in everything at some future date, and this is an early trial to get you used to it.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-07, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s40 View Post
I guess they are getting prepared to make you watch the commercials in everything at some future date, and this is an early trial to get you used to it.
No, you still have all the previous PVR functionality, but if you want to use "Restart" the price you pay is commercials. It's the same on other providers with this feature.

If you don't want to get "caught out", record the programme.
robertd2999 likes this.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-07, 12:22 PM
Rookie

It looks like the danger of the rewind "trap" has been reduced. Today I tried rewinding a live show, and when it hit the point where the program was initially I tuned in, the rewinding stopped and I got this warning:

"Due to rights, rewinding further will restrict your use of fast forward."

I don't think I saw this warning yesterday? Maybe I did and I just thought it was a bug and ignored it. Anyway, if this warning always pops up as appropriate, and we get used to seeing it then maybe the complaints will die down.

Ultimately I hope this feature exists in a way so that it's there if you want it but nobody is "accidentally stumbling into it".
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-07, 12:45 PM

I searched the Telus web site and find the documentation on this feature:
https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/.../optik-restart
Quote:
If you pause or rewind immediately after tuning in to a program where Restart is available, you will trigger Restart mode. When tuning in to a new channel, wait 30 seconds before pausing or rewinding. Your request will proceed without triggering Restart mode.
For a list of channels that support the Optik Restart feature visit Optik Restart channels list. More channels will become available in 2017. Live programs that offer this feature will have the Restart icon in the TV guide.

My comments: TV providers such as Telus only have permission to show the live channel. They must negotiate for the ability to restart programs with each channel and each program owner. Not all programs on a channel will have restart capability. For those that do, the channel owners generally require that fast forward be disabled when the feature is used.

The Restart feature is part of the Mediaroom platform that all telcos in Canada use, so it is the same as Bell Fibe. Given the controversy that Bell had when they implemented the feature, Telus should have notified their users in advance to minimize the confusion we see here.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-04-09, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA60
Does anyone know if Shaw PVR works this way?
Yes, it does. Only on the BlueSky platform. I believe it works the same way as Optik.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.