Telus 4K Discussions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-23, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Telus 4K Discussions

The expected availability of these new 4k receivers is in Q3. I will post technical details of these PVR soon. Only the PVR is 4K capable, not the regular set top boxes. As for 4K contents/channels if I recall correctly there are 5-6, TSN is one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-23, 09:03 PM

Sounds to me like they're playing catchup now to Rogers 4K probably a good thing Optik TV service is based in the West and Rogers in the East.

I canceled my Optik TV service yesterday which was already just skinny basic and bumped up to Internet 50...rather have faster speeds for downloads/streaming at this point. Who knows maybe when 4K eventually launches and they're offering a free 4K TV might be worth it again.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-23, 10:20 PM
Rookie

On dslreports someone posted it would be available at the end of this month, is this no longer the case?

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-25, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks4life View Post
Sounds to me like they're playing catchup now to Rogers 4K...
Rogers and Bell Fibe have been the pioneers on the bleeding edge of 4K and both have had problems with certain 4K TVs not working with their hardware. Bell seems to have resolved their problems, but Rogers are still working on it.

Rogers only have a 4K set-top box - if they don't release a 4K PVR pretty soon, they may be playing catchup to Telus.

The good news is that Telus will be using the same 4K PVR as Bell, so most of the bugs seem to have been worked out.

Keep in mind that there is very little 4K content - mainly sports and only certain games, plus a handful of entertainment programs. Everything else will still be in HD and will look the same as it does now.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-25, 12:39 PM
Veteran

The people I know who have purchased 4K TVs, all of them basically get their 4K content on Netflix. Hardly any content from broadcasters are 4K.

Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on upgrading STBs until there is a fair amount of content available from broadcasters.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-27, 02:22 AM

I noticed that there's a 4K nature doc listed in the Optik on the Go app (not visible on a STB or on the web right now). Description says "4K digital box and address qualification required. For more information go to Telus.com/4K." That URL has no such info yet. I assume it's coming sooner than later.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-27, 10:17 PM
Veteran

I'd bet that "4k channel" may be like "HD channels" in the early days: most of the content will be upscaled.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-06-29, 10:58 AM

www.Telus.com/4K now works.

What you need for 4K.

1. Internet 50
TELUS Internet 50 is required to ensure you get the speed you need to enjoy 4K programming. Note: 4K programming takes up almost 4 times the bandwidth as HD. With TELUS Internet 50 you will have enough bandwidth to watch 4K and surf the internet with no loss of performance. If you are not already an Internet 50 customer you will need to upgrade

2. Optik 4K PVR
Powerful, fast and ultra responsive, the new 4K PVR lets you to watch and record more of your favourite shows, with the capacity to store 400 hours of HD and 100 hours of 4K. It’s included when you sign up for our Optik 4K offer. When upgrading to a TELUS Optik 4K PVR any previously recorded content on your Optik HD PVR will not be transferred. Currently, the Netflix app is not enabled on the new 4K PVR. It will become available for use in the fall.

3. 4K TV
A 4K TV (not included with the Optik 4K Offer) that is High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) compatible. HDCP is a form of digital copy protection that prevents copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections. Required to watch 4K content, 4K TVs are now available at many retailers.

Check out the 4K experience at one of the select in-store demos. (See the link above for locations.)

Quote:
Available 4K Programs on Optik
A growing number of TV networks, specialty channels and movie studios are creating 4K content. TELUS OPTIK 4K currently offers:

Live 4K programs on TELUS Optik 4K
Currently available on TELUS OPTIK 4K:
•Stingray Ambiance 4K on channel 26
•The Games Aug 5 - 21, 2016
Note: To find 4k content look for the 4K badge indicated in the Interactive Programming Guide.

Find 4K movies and programs ON Demand
Select On Demand and go to the 4K folder within the Movies or Featured menu. Look for titles that display the 4K badge on the movie poster and have 4K in the title.
Note: A selection of local documentary shorts and ambience 4K VOD titles are available to view for free.
Quote:
Record on your Optik 4K PVR
Details about using your Optik 4K PVR to record content.
•4K programs can only be viewed on the Optik 4K PVR. However, you can initiate a 4K recording from other set top boxes in your home
•Your Optik 4K PVR is capable of recording one 4K Live show and one HD show at the same time.
•If you're recording a 4K VOD program, you can record two HD shows and one SD show at the same time
•You can record up to five HD shows at the same time
Quote:
  • A FREE Optik 4K PVR rental and an HD wireless digital box rental
  • Optik Essentials, including CBC's coverage of Rio 2016 in 4K and Stingray Ambiance in 4K
  • You Pick 6 which includes Popular Sports theme pack plus 5 theme packs of your choice
  • Internet 50 - download speeds up to 50 Mbps
  • A FREE Wi-Fi extender
All this starting at $80 per month for the first 6 months on a 2-year term, $148 per month thereafter.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-06-29 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added new customer pricing
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-07-05, 03:02 PM
Veteran

Hopefully Telus satellite gets on board and launches a new 4K PVR also. Lol
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-07-05, 03:24 PM

Lol, 4k on satellite, good luck with that. How about 1080p instead of the current 720p.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
warrenmr likes this.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-07-05, 03:46 PM

Satellite does have some 1080p content, and DirecTV in the US has a single 4K channel, so it's not impossible to do it, but it's probably never going to be able to keep up with wired lines, so it's never going to be worthwhile. I'm not sure what they're going to do if 4K ever becomes widespread. It would ultimately be up to Bell though.

Last edited by Gilles; 2016-07-05 at 04:10 PM.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-07-07, 07:36 PM
Rookie

Can anyone confirm Telus is using the Arris VIP5662W DVR for the 4K ? If so, it looks like there is only one HDMI port on the back so that will make sending the video to the TV direct and sending audio to a receiver problematic.
Sounds like there are plenty of handshake issues for those trying to send everything through a receiver with 4K HDMI/HDCP support.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-07-07, 09:25 PM

That's the model pictured on the Telus website, so I assume they are.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-07-08, 02:05 AM
Rookie

Yes. it is VIP 5662. 1 TB model.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-07-08, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstart View Post
If so, it looks like there is only one HDMI port on the back so that will make sending the video to the TV direct and sending audio to a receiver problematic.
If your AVR doesn't work with 4K HDMI, you can send the audio to the AVR with an optical cable.

Tags
4k tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.