Telus 4K Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 2017-12-29, 11:50 PM

Any news of some new 4K channels coming to Optik this year? Or for that matter, more content?

Sony XBR75X940D, Yamaha HTR-8063, Infinity TSS-1200, Polk Audio 8" Sub, Optik 4K VIP5662W & VIP5602W, PS4, Harmony Hub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 12:27 PM
Rookie

Question 4K Box Speed

Hey everyone,

Last night I switched on my TV and the 4K Box had the initializing screen up. Within a minute or two the box was functional and allowed me to start using it to watch my recordings. However, now the fast-forward, rewind etc. are very slow to respond. Prior (earlier in the day) it was instant I could click fast forward multiple times and it would instantly change. Now there is almost a full second delay before the screen updates where the program is currently fast forwarded to.

I have restarted the box, unplugged for ten minutes.

Does anyone know of a recent update being scheduled or should I be contacting Telus support?

It's a minor inconvenience but quite annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 10:22 AM

There was an update few nights ago. Friend of mine asked me the same question. Told him to reboot, but did not hear back. So, you are not alone.

I, on the other hand, have different issue since update. Whenever I switch channels, after about 15-25 seconds I now get 1 second freeze or pixelation. Is it possible that happens when they switch from unicast to multicast?

Last edited by 57; 2018-01-27 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-01-29, 10:09 PM

Telus 4K Discussions

I noticed the 4K box responding a little slower, but nothing too bad. I did notice that on the Netflix app it has HDR now! I was wondering if that was going to happen. Or has that been there before this update? My Sony TV just had a update a few weeks ago as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sony XBR75X940D, Yamaha HTR-8063, Infinity TSS-1200, Polk Audio 8" Sub, Optik 4K VIP5662W & VIP5602W, PS4, Harmony Hub
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-02-02, 01:40 AM
DHC Supporter

I also noticed that FF and Rewind on recorded programs is very laggy since yesterday...very annoying.
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-02-09, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygeetee View Post
I also noticed that FF and Rewind on recorded programs is very laggy since yesterday...very annoying.

I just read they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix in future update. Hopefully very soon!

Confuzzeled23 likes this.

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-03-21, 12:46 PM

"...1. Internet 50
TELUS Internet 50 is required to ensure you get the speed you need to enjoy 4K programming. Note: 4K programming takes up almost 4 times the bandwidth as HD. With TELUS Internet 50 you will have enough bandwidth to watch 4K and surf the internet with no loss of performance..."

Netflix 4k with HDR/DolbyVision maxes out at just over 15 Mbps, so my Internet 25 has tonnes of headroom. Not sure why Telus requires such high bandwidth -- likely to pad the coffers. Netflix has far superior 1080p PQ on SDR programming as compared to Telus SDR's 720p, and i don't think it's just the difference in resolution. The Netflix SDR tops out under 6 Mbps. This is comparing the Telus 4k box to the built in NF app on my LG OLED TV. I'd be happy if Telus reduced the extreme compression on HD programming to fix the problem of the actors' faces looking like hard plastic. Netflix can do it.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-03-21, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavorney View Post
"...1. Internet 50
TELUS Internet 50 is required to ensure you get the speed you need to enjoy 4K programming. Note: 4K programming takes up almost 4 times the bandwidth as HD. With TELUS Internet 50 you will have enough bandwidth to watch 4K and surf the internet with no loss of performance..."

Netflix 4k with HDR/DolbyVision maxes out at just over 15 Mbps, so my Internet 25 has tonnes of headroom. Not sure why Telus requires such high bandwidth -- likely to pad the coffers. Netflix has far superior 1080p PQ on SDR programming as compared to Telus SDR's 720p, and i don't think it's just the difference in resolution. The Netflix SDR tops out under 6 Mbps. This is comparing the Telus 4k box to the built in NF app on my LG OLED TV. I'd be happy if Telus reduced the extreme compression on HD programming to fix the problem of the actors' faces looking like hard plastic. Netflix can do it.
I'm no expert but I have used Handbrake to encode my own videos. I can get higher quality and/or smaller files with two-pass encoding. I think Netflix would really squish their file sizes down and keep PQ as high as possible given that they have time to do so. I don't think Telus has the luxury of time to max out PQ or reduce bitrate on live TV. I don't watch on demand, but I wonder if PQ is better there.
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-05-11, 03:42 PM

Smile Just switched from Shaw to optik 4k setup-gots some questions

Super happy so far-more channels, better content, better picture(IMO) and way better deal.
No complaints anywhere on this forum lately or is everyone as happy as I am?
Couple questions...I've noticed when I watch netflix via channel 422 my 4k terminal re-boots in the middle of what Im watching but if I launch it thru the app it works fine. (will call Telus eventually on that one)
Is there frequent software/firmware updates? Sometimes Ive noticed setting changes or my 4k PVR is powered on by itself which could be from updates maybe....how do I tell what firmware I have?

So far so good- I should of switched a long time ago........
Thanx in advance
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-05-24, 02:33 PM

netflix issue fixed by phone rep with a update to one of my boxes. All working wonderfully now. Super happy!!
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 2018-05-24, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscreenbob View Post
netflix issue fixed by phone rep with a update to one of my boxes. All working wonderfully now. Super happy!!

Good to hear there is a fix for this. I always boot it through the app menu. Very happy with Optik TV, just waiting for more 4K content and channels. It's like the days when HD was just starting out.

post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

4K box freezing on playing recordings

I'm basically having the exact same problem as this post:
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-...-to/td-p/85653

And it's only starting happening about a week or so ago. Has anyone else run into this? Not sure if there have been any recent software updates.

Calling tech support hasn't been that useful as they want me to run me through a reboot. And obviously a reboot is what fixes the problem and then I run into it again the next day.

Recordings and watching live TV are still very responsive.

Tags
4k tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in