Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Telus 4K box?

13K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Zod 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 ·
If you had read the thread, you'll see that Blue Jays & Maple Leafs games would be broadcast in 4K starting next year.

That said, don't count on Telus having a competing STB anytime soon. Given how much Optik TV signals are compressed as is, it's not likely a 4K option would be available without some serious infrastructure upgrades. Fibre to the home is a start, but I don't believe they are at the point where offering a 4K box is feasible

#6 ·
Optik signals aren't that compressed compared to shaw. They just did a huge billion dollar upgrade with faster internet connections. I just think it's totally unfair for only the Toronto area to have this package available. I would definitely pay to have this sports package in 4k.

#9 ·
Ericsson bought the Mediaroom software from Microsoft in 2013. Mediaroom is the software that powers Optik TV and the other Canadian telcos' IPTV platforms.

This press release from Sept. 2014 says that they are upgrading Mediaroom to support 4K, but they haven't publically announced anything since. I wouldn't be surprised if some providers are currently testing the new version.
Providing service operators with the most innovative technology remains a key driver for Ericsson. Recognizing 4K and HEVC as the next major consumer experience expectation, Ericsson is bringing 4K and HEVC capabilities to the Ericsson Mediaroom platform. The new Ericsson Mediaroom client for ARM-based System-on-a-Chip (SoC) set top boxes will be available in the second half of 2015, equipping operators to deliver the best video quality on TV screens.
On the subject of Telus' fibre to the home rollout, I found this link in the http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/197...net-home-phone/223201-telus-fibre-optics.html thread in the Telus Internet forum (which is the best place to discuss the details of the rollout).

fibre.telus.com

It shows all the communities that have fibre optic service available or under construction. You can drill down to the street level to see exactly where the service will be available.

#11 ·
I live in Spruce Grove, and I have Telus as my ISP with Fiber Internet, and when I put my postal code into the page you linked it says that they're not quite there yet (regarding fiber deployment). It's a relatively new neighborhood that had the fiber lines that were run at the time of construction.

I'm not very impressed with their tool. :)

#12 ·
dazzler said:
Telus can't even deliver a TV signal in 1080p so why would think they could deliver 4k. 720 is their Max
Streaming a h.264 1080p video would use 5-8m Mbps at 30fps. Delivering 3 simultaneous 1080p@30fps h.264 streams would be 15-21 Mbps. This is certainly possible with current technology using copper, unless the copper quality is very low.

Netflix delivers 4k content using ~15.6Mbps using h.265 (HEVC).

I just took this test, and it's "peak time" for Internet use in my area, so for me the Internet would be performing it's worst right now (I'm on Internet 50). I should be able to handle four Netflix 4k streams without any trouble with my current connection.

I'll also point out that Telus appears to be more aggressive than Shaw when it comes to building out their fiber-to-the-home infrastructure.

#14 ·
All service providers need to compress the signals due to bandwidth limitations. Telus signals are likely 720P, as discussed in the following FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

The original HD programme contains over 1 Gbps of information, while service providers typically provide 5-19 mbps signals, depending on compression technology used. This is a compression factor of roughly 100:1 - it's actually amazing that HD looks as good as it does when this is taken into account.

Another useful FAQ for those new to the forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-...estions-please-read-before-posting-forum.html

#15 ·
I thought Shaw's PQ (especially on the channels that used mpeg4) was a lot crisper than Telus. Telus is only just starting to roll out fibre so I think the TV tech is still designed with copper connections in mind. I need a bonded connection to get over 50mbps. With both boxes off my download is around 55mbps. I can still do 50mbps with one box on. To be honest I'd gladly sacrifice some bandwidth for better PQ (it's pretty noticeable on my 60" tv). Sure that might knock my internet speed down, but if I really need full internet speed I can always turn off the cable box. I suppose Telus compresses as much as they do so it impacts the internet speeds less (or allows people with really bad connections to get TV at all).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.