Successfully Replaced Actiontec T1200h with Asus RT-AC56U - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-06-10, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Successfully Replaced Actiontec T1200h with Asus RT-AC56U

I recently had Telus Optik TV + Internet installed over fiber. I decided I didnt want or need the supplied Actiontec T1200h, as my PVR and STB's were connected through Cat5E, so I set out to run everything off my Asus RT-AC56U instead. After much searching I saw a lot of conflicting posts about whether or not this was even possible, so I thought I would post my own (successful) experience and share the steps with others.

First off, I am running Merlin firmware on my RT-AC56U, but that shouldnt matter, as I believe most newer Asus routers do have the IPTV config tab under the LAN settings, and none of the other Merlin-specific features matter to this setup.

Secondly, I did have the RT-AC56U connected as my router for all network devices via the Port 1 Bridging off the T1200h prior to changing the setup to eliminate the Actiontec, but again, that shouldnt matter. I DID NOT clone the MAC address of the Actiontec like some other posts say you have to do, so that should not be necessary.

My network is connected as follows:
Alcatel Lucent ONT --> RT-AC56U WAN
RT-AC56U Port 1 --> D-link 16-Port Gigabit Switch --> all my wired network devices and 3 other AC routers as AP's
RT-AC56U Port 2 --> Desktop computer (on same VLAN/network as Port 1)
RT-AC56U Port 4 --> Trendnet TEG-S80g (8-Port Gigabit switch) Port 1
TEG-S80g Port 2 --> Telus PVR (Cisco ISB7150)
TEG-S80g Port 3 --> Telus Digital STB (Cisco ISB7100)
TEG-S80g Port 4 --> Telus Wireless STB Access point
IPTV tab settings in RT-AC56U config:
ISP Profile: None
STB port: LAN4
DHCP routes: RFC3442 & Microsoft
Enable multicast routing: Enabled
Enable efficient multicast forwarding: Enabled
UDP Proxy(Udpxy): 0

After that, all I had to do was reboot the Telus Optik TV boxes. Everything is connected and working, the PVR recordings are available on the other STB's, the streaming quality is every bit as clear as it was before, and the whole system just feels more responsive now (i.e. the channels seems to switch faster).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-06-10, 12:55 PM

It's interesting that you didn't have to enter VID and PRIO values for your TV and internet to work
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-06-11, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Update to the router config... One issue I noticed with my previous setup was that the Optik boxes were all getting a strange IP (10.139.44.X) instead of an IP within my network (192.168.1.X). The IPTV settings I had used on the AC56U were causing the Optik boxes to be on a separate VLAN that was bridged with the WAN, so they must have been pulling IP's directly from Telus. This was also preventing the Optik on the Go app/website from working properly because the Optik boxes were not on the same network as the rest of my devices.

I was able to correct this by changing the IPTV tab settings in the LAN config on the AC56U as follows. The network connections remained as described in the OP.

IPTV tab settings in RT-AC56U config:
ISP Profile: None
STB port: None
DHCP routes: Microsoft
Enable multicast routing: Enabled
Enable efficient multicast forwarding: Enabled
UDP Proxy(Udpxy): 0

An in the Wireless - Professional tab (for both 2.4 and 5GHz):
IGMP Snooping: Enable
Multicast rate: OFDM 54
Optimize AMPDU aggregation: Enable

After making the changes I rebooted my router, then my PVR, then the other Optik boxes. Now everything is working, including the apps and all devices are on the same network, all still without using the Actiontec router at all.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-08-12, 02:26 PM
Rookie

How's this still working? I have Telus coming to install on the 25th, and if I can eliminate a box on the office desk, I'm all for it. I have an Asus RT-66NU, but it has stock firmware and all the menu settings you describe.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-08-13, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Still going strong! I've even done a few firmware updates on the router since the original setup now too, but just kept the same settings. The T1200h is sitting on a shelf in my basement just collecting dust.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-08-19, 11:50 AM
Rookie

Do you think I need to have a switch on one LAN port for all the boxes? I have 2 boxes going in, and I have 1 line going to a switch, and the other 3 ports open. I was thinking of just plugging the boxes into the router, but you mentioned in the initial post that your boxes are all on the same switch. Should I be okay?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-08-21, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

A separate switch for the TV boxes alone really isnt necessary in my setup, because everything is on the same VLAN now. I will eventually just move the TV boxes over to my 16-Port switch and eliminate the 8-port all together, I just have not gotten around to it yet.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Thank you so much for the details of setting up your router. I have successfully set up my Asus RT-N66u router with your settings. All boxes are on my own network, with correct IP's, and recordings available on all boxes. I can say for sure, that your settings work.

Appreciate all the effort you put in to finding this stuff out.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 11:19 AM

I'm a little confused. I'm wanting to do this too but what does the telephone line plug into?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-09-03, 11:53 AM
Rookie

If you have the regular copper pair or bonded pair, it won't work. You need fibre to the home, and have an Ethernet connector going into the router. You take it out of the Telus router, and put it into the LAN port of your own router. Mine has been working for over a week now, and hasn't given me any problems. And I get better speeds than the one day I left it on the Telus router.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-28, 10:44 PM

Netflix App?

Have you tried using the new settop box Netflix App? I have pretty much the same setup as you but the netflix app seems to be very slow. Thanks
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 10:18 AM

@Tm775 It sounds like the menus are slower on the STB than some other devices. It may not have anything to do with your router. Here are some threads about Netflix:

Netflix better on Chromecast than on Optik STB

Netflix app coming to Optik TV
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-30, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

We use the Netflix app pretty much every day. I do agree that the Optik Netfix interface is definitely slower than some other devices, but I still use it because of the convenience factor. I didnt really notice any difference with the Netflix app on either the Actiontec or my Asus setup though.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-08-24, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Just a quick update and some additional feedback on WHY you would/should even want to do this...

Everything has been working great for well over a year now. I've gone through multiple firmware updates on the Asus router and never had to reconfigure anything to keep the Optik tv boxes working great. I have swapped out some switches, and added a PoE switch for some IP cameras, but at the end of the day, as long as everything is pulling a DHCP address from the Asus router it doesnt really matter what I swap out on the back end.

As for some additional reasons WHY to ditch the Actiontec...

I upgraded my internet package to the newly launched Internet 150/150 2 days ago. It turned out to be a huge pain, actually getting the 150/150 speeds as I kept pulling my usual ~96/~19 I was getting on my Internet 100 package well after the 24 hours they said it might take to switch the plan over. Turns out it was through no fault of my own and nothing to do with my config, and ended up being all provisioning issues on Telus's back end, but as part of the trouble shooting process I dusted off the ol' Actiontec and hooked it back up, and once the provisioning stuff was figured out I decided to run some speed tests. Using the exact same hard-wired computer with an Intel gigabit NIC connected over CAT6 to each router these are the average results I got:

Actiontec: DL ~145 / UL ~ 125

Asus RT-AC56U: DL ~153 / UL ~ 169

Now clearly this is not overly scientific, and certainly was not a controlled environment, but I still feel it shows Asus is in fact faster than the Actiontec.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-08-25, 12:56 PM
Veteran

The Asus RT-AC56U is one of the faster internet routers available. I'm not surprised it beat the Actiontec. The performance/price ratio is also very good as it compares well to some newer, much more expensive routers. Comparable routers with external antennas or more advanced AC protocols might do better in wi-fi performance but the RT-AC56U beats many of them in internet throughput, features and support.

Tags
actiontec , asus , fibre , optik tv , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.