Installation - What to Expect? - Page 48 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #706 of 718 (permalink) Old 2017-06-12, 09:13 PM

Call in again. I own my telus tv box and I did not pay the install fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #707 of 718 (permalink) Old 2017-06-12, 09:44 PM

Were or are you on a contract?

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #708 of 718 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 12:16 PM

I'm not on a contract. Plus quote the internet discount of $100.00 off your programming. I have Telus internet, TV, and Phone since Apr 13 and I still have not paid anything.

post #709 of 718 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 10:26 PM

I'm guessing because I think I got a good deal they want to recoup some of it. I remember the loyalty rep saying because I'm not going to be on contract and my deal runs for 12 months. No contract. Internet and TV.

Oh well.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #710 of 718 (permalink) Old 2017-06-17, 05:46 PM

Negotiated a tv internet 100 deal. Installer shows up. Looks around and says the best I can get is 50. LOL. I'm pretty miffed as this was not what I agreed to and expected. Telus did nothing. Manager says the price difference between 50 and 100 speed is $5. Bizarre. In any event I didn't really have much choice but to have the install. I need Internet. Otherwise I would ave had to research and book appointment with someone who offers faster speed.

It's beyond me they wouldn't know which buildings have what type of wiring? I realize there are a bazillion buildings. But thought it would be in a data base and in which they quote customers like myself.

Not off to a good start.

And $100 install fee. I'm not on a contract. Thank god for that based on what happened.

post #711 of 718 (permalink) Old 2017-07-08, 04:10 AM
Rookie

Optik TV/Internet wiring questions

I'm currently a Shaw customer, and am planning to switch to Telus for its Optik Internet and TV. A few questions though:

1. Can I disable Telus's router/modem NAT and use my own router?

2. How does Optik TV STBs connect to the network? The fiber connection in my home terminates in a closet. There's no easy way to run ethernet cable to that closet, though existing coaxial cables do run from the closet to each room. Does that mean everything has to be set up in the closet? How are the STBs connected to Telus?
post #712 of 718 (permalink) Old 2017-07-08, 12:55 PM

@Gateway0 Here are a couple of threads discussing alternative ways to use your own router.

Networking questions for Fibre, Optik and existing setup

Successfully Replaced Actiontec T1200h with Asus RT-AC56U

2. I'm not sure what Telus uses for new installs. Their old modem/PVR/STB supported either Ethernet or coax cables. The new equipment supports Ethernet or Wi-Fi. The new STBs can be wireless, but I'm not sure if the PVR has to be wired.
post #713 of 718 (permalink) Old 2018-04-05, 06:06 PM

so a couple of days ago i decided to leave Shaw and come back to Telus. Booked an install for today (April 05 1-3p)
The installer called me at around 1130 to say they can come out now. Well that is all fine and dandy but i am at work and told work i was leaving at 1300

Installer arrived at 1320. All good so far. Had some trouble getting the internet up and had to run down to corner box a few times plus call in to his office.
At 1430 he got the Internet working. Then announces he has to leave. umm WHAT? Says he can come back in a few hours or finish on another day. Well that is just
fine and dandy. So i have to miss more time off work. Plus i have to pay a large cancel fee to Shaw.. For this ? Now i have to either wait for another day. or waste my whole
evening waiting to see if the installer does actually come back.

i will say that if he does not come back tonite i will not continue and tell them to take the equipment back. Not impressed or pleased at all

edit. so had to vent so i got on chat to Telus. (after i hooked up all the Shaw equipment again) The chat rep tells me that dispatch does say this tech will be back at 1700 today.
Said (not sure if true or blowing smoke) that tech had to go back to head office to do something with my TV profile. (cant do that over the phone?)
I said. if that is true that is all the tech had to say and all would be good. These install techs, work for Telus or contractors?

Last edited by Blintok; 2018-04-05 at 07:15 PM. Reason: update
post #714 of 718 (permalink) Old 2018-04-05, 07:34 PM

There is a lot of contractors working for Telus and there not all trained well as Telus techs. I've had my internet/TV installed once every year for ten years and had almost no problems that could not be fixed in a hr or so. Some of the techs were Telus employees and some not.
post #715 of 718 (permalink) Old 2018-04-06, 12:08 PM

Tech did come back. Got TV up and running. Excepting the disappearing act his install work was great. Made sure all was working as intended. Ran some tests on TV and internet wifi. all good. So my first world crisis is over :-)

Internet is fast. 2-4ms ping. (to Telus) Love the new 4k PVR. Super fast guide and menu response. I checked the aspect ratio in options and was surprised to see 2160p as the default setting. Way cool.
post #716 of 718 (permalink) Old 2018-04-11, 12:33 PM
Rookie

Hi Blintok
Can you speak to the picture quality? Long time Shaw customer looking to switch (because Shaw has no 4K and don't like their Bluesky as I don't talk to my remote), but have read that picture quality of tv programming not as good as Shaw?
Thanks
Phil
post #717 of 718 (permalink) Old 2018-04-11, 03:33 PM

was about to post my review after having the service for 1 week.

I had Optik a few years ago (had CIS430 box). Back then i do recall the picture quality being softer and not as clear as Shaw. That is no longer true (at least for me with the 4k pvr) Picture quality is as good or better than Shaw. Picture is really clear and sharp. (watching on a Samsung 55KS8500). The 4k Love Nature channel looks fantastic. The only thing i will say is that SD looks better on Shaw but most channels i get are HD so not a big deal. The only SD i have that i may watch is KVOS.

Things i like, i love the way the guide is laid out. All similar channels grouped together. All the HD channels are lower numbered. 104 is Global. but if you do want to see it in SD its easy to find in the 9000 channel numbers (104 = 9104). The channel guide is snappy and fast. Changing channels is instant. Love being able to go thru the guide and remove (in a check box) channels you do not want or get.

You could do this in Shaw using favourites but more of a pain. In Telus as you go thru the customize a small preview window is there. If you get the channel it has a picture - if you do not it is blank. With Shaw i had to use a separate channel listing to figure out which ones i am subscribed to.

Do not miss Shaw at all. Really impressed and happy with Telus, it has improved quite a bit since i last had it. About the only thing i miss is having the time on the cable box. I am on the pick8 plan. I added Discovery Velocity. I am on Internet 75 and they gave me a deal on unlimited ($5 for 2 years)

mentioned above. In the aspect ratio in options, in addition to the usual 720p 1080i 1080p is 2160p (was default for me) very cool.

I returned the Shaw Bluesky box and modem to the Shaw outlet in Richmond Centre on Saturday April 07.
post #718 of 718 (permalink) Old 2018-04-11, 06:46 PM

Iím glad you didnít bail when the install didnít go perfectly at first. I knew youíll like it better than Shaw, once you had it up and running. When I think back on my last few years with Shaw, it now seems like a bad dream. They still donít have the HD channels I wanted and requested for many years, and I saw no advantage to BlueSky. I like the Interface, the Guide, the organization of channels and VOD all better on Telus. Now I have 150 Internet and TV for less than I was paying with Shaw.

I sometimes think if Shaw customers experience Telus Optik TV and fibre optic Internet for one evening, they would not return to Shaw.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD

Tags
ftth , optik , telus , telus tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in