Spectrum shift - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

• 1 Post By holl_ands
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-22, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Spectrum shift

So- i have built the ff4 as well as the ff6 for this repack- however, these antennas (genius) seem to be smoke shows out of the gate, then two weeks later the performance falls off. Is this just me ?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-22, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the Kudos.....I think....

Antenna Pointing Angle can change at anytime after your feet hit the ground.....esp. with wind....

Non-LOS, Long Range Propagation varies due to a variety of reasons, such as Thermal Profile due to Weather (similar to Sonar Refraction thru Water) that can shorten or extend range; as well as Ground Conductivity (Snow, Ice, Water); Trees (worse with leaves & when Wet)....and when Troposcatter modes are involved can vary quite a bit over time scales of minutes, hours, days...up to months....so YMMV....a LOT....
wildwillie likes this.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-23, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Thank you Sir for your input it is always greatly appreciated. I’m just having a difficult time coming to terms with that I suppose last year I was pulling in 66 channels regularly and reliably through the day and night - now I’m stuck at seven ... I have been through everything a dozen times to the point where I’m pulling my hair out . Do you recommend going for an LPDA? In which I cut a dipole for every channel I want to receive and considerate a driven element. I was thinking of having two- The channels I wish to receive are in Portland and Boston unfortunately so 180° apart theoretically speaking with a horizontal reflector behind these L PDAs with this work?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-23, 06:45 PM
Ota did you try a new balun, my daugter called me month or so ago saying , her antenna was not working could only get one station, I changed the balun , all her stations came back , it's was one of the store bought balun, that had two capacitors I figured one cap had shorted out , didn't bother to test it , still got it mite clip the caps off see if it works ,it's just setting in my stuff to check out box.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-23, 08:50 PM
Water ingress, corroded connections and broken connections can cause a significant decline in signal strength. There is not much can be done except check the entire installation and perform repairs or replacements as required. Baluns, connectors and cables with water damage must typically be replaced.
wildwillie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.