4 bay antenna question - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-04-09, 05:38 PM
Veteran

For UHF, Bigger is Better. For Hi-VHF, Best WIDTH is about 32-inches...at 28-in and smaller the Hi-VHF Pattern is stronger out the BACK. Spacing of Vertical Wires makes minimal difference.
Spacing of Horizontal Wires reaches BEST performance at 1-in Separation....and minimal improvement if using METAL Hardware Mesh with 1/2-in Separations.

Commonly used Screen Reflector with 1" H x 2" W (or 3" or 4" W) Grid Size.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-04-15, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Today I had a chance to try out the U4000 without the preamp. Not good results. Lost all of the Dayton signals except Ch. 2 (virtual channel). Put the CM 7777 Titan back in place and everything was back to normal.

I then decided to try the EV 6165 antenna without the preamp. Cincy stations were essentially the same as the U4000 but Ch. 2 from Dayton was now pixelating badly. I then added the Titan pre amp. All the Dayton signals were back though they were weaker than the U4000 with the pre amp. This test seems to confirm what I learned in Indianapolis. The U4000 is a decent 4 bay. The EV did pick up a Ch. 43 signal off the side which the U4000 could not unless it was pointed in that direction.

For a lark I then tried a Antennacraft HBU22. Shocking. With the pre amp I am getting the very same reception strength on the Dayton signals as the U4000! Didn't bother to try the HBU22 without the pre amp since I am certain I would lose everything from Dayton again.

Will be installing a rotor and possibly get the Winegard 4 bay up there next month. And add the Delhi VIP 302SR for VHF. That will likely be my permanent antenna setup for this location.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-04-15, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I've since discovered after leaving the HBU22 in place for now a multi path problem. While I didn't have one with the MXU 59 with the pre amp, Super G 1483 with the pre amp or even the U4000 with the pre amp, I am seeing the picture break up from time to time on a couple of channels now. Have had each antenna pointed at 15 degrees and situated at about 17 to 20 feet above ground.

It is my understanding that Yagi's are usually good at rejecting multi path signals in urban areas like I am in. Same with the 8 bay antennas. 4 bay antenna's supposedly are not good for rejecting multi path based upon what I've read due to their wide reception pattern yet the U4000 worked very well here.

Could this problem with the HBU22 be due to the fact it is a much shorter Yagi with less elements than the MXU59?

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Just for kicks I ordered a Televes DAT 790 Mix to try out. Worked great for a day and a half. Got home from work late Monday night and turned on the TV for a few minutes only to find all but only a few of the strongest local channels were still coming in. And they were weak. After doing some trouble shooting it appears to be the built in pre amp. Unfortunately the antenna will not work properly without it. Not even going to return it ir replace it. Will likely buy the Winegard 4400 or maybe the 8800 since I also have found a few of those are still available.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-07-09, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Found out the pre amp on the Televes 790 somehow stopped working for a while. I found by taking the antenna down and keeping it unplugged for a few days solved the problem. Have had similar problems over the years with other electronics. Same solution solved the problem. Now have the Televes back up and it works OK.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 04:41 AM
Veteran

Or.....it was a CONNECTOR Problem that was "Fixed" by cleaning the inner copper wire and/or wiggling the connectors......

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hollands. A coax cable did fail but it happened after the other problem cropped up. The coax got mangled after I took the antenna down the first time. In other words, reception was fine for a couple of days but suddenly stopped even though I did not touch the coax at all. When I took down the antenna I did end up damaging the coax but I since replaced it with one that is better. Have found the Quad Shield from RCA is quite good.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 11:35 PM
Rookie

have you even considered trying the channel master 7778 pre-amp cause it's not as strong as the 7777 pre-amp so it's less prone to overloads.sounds like your getting an over kill from the Dayton or Cincinnati channels which ever one your closes too.i live in Hamilton about 2 miles from the Hamilton tower and if I use an 7777 amp it over kills and I lose a lot of the buffalo stations but with the 7778 pre-amp I get them all strong with the Toronto and Hamilton and buffalo stations pointing the cm 8 bay attenna half way inbetween Toronto and buffalo.so I sugest you try an 8 bay channel master attenna with an 7778 pre-amp half way between Dayton and Cincinnati and it should work just fine for all your channel needs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.