Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Marietta, GA: SBGH Reflector Opinions?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  CraigRoyce 
#1 ·
Hello, I've built my first SBGH, and getting very good reception, however, I've lost a few channels that I did receive with my little WinegardFreevision Outdoor HDTV Antenna. The performance got out of two 5 foot pieces of wire is amazing!. Long live home-brew and OTA TV!!

So on to my questions. I build my SBGH without a reflector, just to see what a minimal antenna with very low wind resistance would do for me. Now, I think I need to put a reflector on it.

• Can I use the same 14 gauge wire I used for the driven elements?
    If so, how far apart should I space them?
    As for length, I'll make them a few inches longer than my elements project from the center of my construction - correct? I don't want to sweep them forward and make the antenna too directional.
    Is any particular stand-off between driven elements and reflector best? My antenna is built on a 1 x 4" board. Can I just staple-gun the wires to board on the reverse side from the elements, or do I need more than a 1' stand-off?

BTW, I painted the wood to prevent water absorption.

If the 14 gauge wire isn't appropriate, I'm considering using .5" x .5" opening galv wire mesh I have around the garage but I'm concerned about the sail effect.

My mast is a 1 1/4" x 10' galv electric conduit u-bolted to the 1x4 board.

I'd be curious to know what kind of antenna this is - Winegard Freevision Outdoor HDTV Antenna-FVHD30H - The Home Depot. Its not a GH and I don't think it's a bowtie. As I learned more about antenna's I've noticed its only rated at a 6dB gain, little better than a stripped coax dipole. :laugh

Thanks much for your comments.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Greg,
Please post the link to the TVFOOL report for your location, at the proposed height of your antenna. Also post details whether it's installed outdoors or indoors.

#6 ·
Hello, any comments on a reflector after posting my TVfool radar and pic of the antenna?

Can anyone see a reason why WSB-DT (ch 39) would be a challenging channel to receive? It pixelates a lot, but is in the same direction as the others in Metro Atlanta.

Thanks very much

#7 · (Edited)
Hello, Greg:

Thanks for the tvfool report and the photo.

Your signals are so strong that it looks like overload to me. The Winegard antenna is better for you because you don't need much gain and it covers VHF-High (real channels 7-13) an UHF (14-51).

BTW, I painted the wood to prevent water absorption.
That's not good enough. The elements must be supported by an insulating material. The screws are connecting the elements to the internal moisture of the wood.

Any trees in the signal path from the WSB direction, 156 degrees magnetic? I see a lot of trees in your area. Trees mess with TV signals.

Are you using a preamp?

Does your TV have a signal strength indicator? What model is it?

#8 ·
Thanks much for the come-back rabbit73.

Overload!? So adding a reflector, counter-intuitively, would make things *worse*? OK, I'll put the Winegard back up and see what I get. Incidentally, what basic kind of antenna is that Winegard? Link to pic of it on Home-D site is at top. I'm really curious and Winegard's site doesn't give much technicals on this little thing.

Rats re the wood! OK - I'll try to find a square vinyl substitute. Round PVC is tricky to screw stuff into.

LOTS of 60 - 100 ft pines 'tween me and towers. No way around that....that's Georgia!

No pre-amp. I use a distribution amp as I'm servicing 3 TVs, and the longest run exceeds 100'

TV: Magnavox MV50314. On this Sig strength swings from 58 - 65, but Sig quality shows solid 100.

BTW at the moment, there is a very light occasional breeze, so the maze of tall pines is gently swaying.

Thanks again,

#9 ·
wood is ok for temporary experiments like this.
Just be creative, and find something to use as spacers to keep the elements from touching the wood.

It's not too bad, affixing elements to PVC and PVC cross Tees.
The bonus is the pvc pipe will act as a mast, and the pvc cross tees can be used to secure the elements.
The net wind load will be a lot less than what ya have here.

#10 ·
Incidentally, what basic kind of antenna is that Winegard?
The antenna consists of three parts. It has the X shape UHF element, the VHF-High element that they call the forward elements, and the reflector which is effective for UHF. So, you could call it a simple VHF-High/UHF combo antenna.

#11 ·
Thanks so much! When I went OTA 18 months ago, I was amazed at what's available free and in HD. But being an IT guy and eternal tinkerer, I just had to find even better reception. This takes me back to the joys of when I was a kid with a tube shortwave, a homebrew dipole antenna, and tuner and listened to the world. (In that world, more gain is always better, not so here). It's been great finding this group of like-minded antenna hackers and reading about your builds and results. I'll return to the lower gain antenna here in the ATL. But, I've got an even more challenging OTA situation in the N. GA mountains, so will rebuild this GH on PVC, and probably make it a DBGH. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

#12 ·
I live in Cumming, GA. I built an M4 from specs at this forum and get channel 39 (ABC) at 90% strength. Some evenings it comes in at 100%. And this is through ten rows of Georgia pines and cypresses! So I would say your GH should easily get 39 from Marietta (and all the other channels minus 8 and 11 - these being VHF). I do have a reflector.

I installed a Channel Master 4228 for a buddy in Marietta 8 years ago and he has been getting most of the channels at 90 to 100% signal strength. Your GH should function fine since a GH outperforms a CM. However I did place a CM 7777 preamp with the 4228. I also use a preamp from Cumming (which is some 30 miles north of the broadcast towers).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.