I've reinstalled the v37bqh yagi forward in the area where I used to mount my K6STI yagi. With my K6STI the baseline signal range would be in the 15 to 20 % range. With the v37bqh the baseline range seems to now be about 18 to 23 % on the signal meter. With the K6STI it would usually shoot up into the 30 - 40 - 50 % range and produce momentary decode. I am also now seeing the same type of behaviour with the v37bqh. I've seen instances where it would shoot up into the high 40% range so far with some momentary decode. That type of behaviour was almost nonexistant at the old spot. Its only been a day so I don't know yet if it's any better for that than the K6STI since there would also be days where it was much lower than usual as well. I doubt it, but we'll see. When the tropo picks up a bit more then i'll have to see how it behaves in those type of conditions. I also have to add another line up to the attic so I can observe both yagis at the same time to get a better idea. One member suggested that I use better materials for the DE. I may give that a shot in the future to see if it will really help when I find something I can use.
This yagi was an expedient experiment just to see if I could get better results than my K6STI was getting. I was hoping that the higher gain would overcome the attic attenuation, probable station off angle and its own smaller beamwidth as well as my subpar build quality. If I would have seen the baseline signal range on the tv up in the say 30-35% range then I would say that it was a successful result. As it stands now its not. I will play around with it some more and see what I can come up with.
I'm not going to let this stop me from investigating this signal. I will probably build another yagi, with its own boom. It will definately be shorter than this one which is 15.5 ft long (too damn long!). I may also try to build another K6STI and try ganging them. Come summer I
will definately be experimenting outside and seeing what that yields. I hope as time goes on that we will see more members trying for this signal and updating us with their results and their setups.
Something I noticed as I was experimenting with this signal:
I have a small Sharp 19" lcd about 3 ft from my Panasonic 32" lcd. I've noticed this effect with both yagis. When tuned into WBBZ on the Panasonic that turning on the Sharp lcd would do a number on the signal by 5 or 10% on the signal meter on the panny. One night I was getting decode with slight breakup on the K6STI on the panny. I would turn the the little lcd on and the picture would enter into total breakup on the panasonic. Turned it off and the picture would recover. Tried it a few times and same result. They also share the same plug outlet. So I tried running an extension cord from the other room and it still seems to happen. When the signal on the panny was strong and sustained then turning it on would not induce breakup. This could be due to the dollar store coax that i've been using so far. I will try a dedicated line with quality coax to see if it makes a difference. Just something I thought other people would be interested in knowing in case it may apply to them in some way.
Finally I would like to thank all the members who have given their advice. I will update the thread if anything changes.
chimney mnt: RS Mini-State ** Attic: Kross GY-TVA003/Philips SW2083W/17 preamp **Attic: Gen1 SBGH+CM0064