Best DIY Antenna For Cambridge & Kitchener, ON? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Question Best DIY Antenna For Cambridge & Kitchener, ON?

What is the best GH antenna for Cambridge, Ontario that I should build?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 12:38 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

First let's get your TVFool results to help us give you the best GH advice:
  1. use Google Maps Canada to find your home and get your exact Latitude and Longitude map coordinates
  2. enter your exact map coordinates at the TVFool site and wait for your results page to load
  3. after it loads, copy-and-paste the URL of your report into this thread
Once we see your results we can verify the Canadian stations using this site: http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/ and then recommend the best GH version for you to build.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 05:57 PM

Best GH for Kitchener East

Hi all, I'd love to build one of the GH antennas for my place. I would really appreciate some input on what type to build. My tvfool.com information is here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7d49f9f21e02fb

At the moment it's looking pretty bleak for DT reception. I'm hoping that I can build something to make the picture a little brighter
post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 07:49 PM
Veteran

Whew, that is pretty miserable. I would try a DBGH and aim it at 75 degrees for the most possible channels.

My builds/plans (not the latest models) are located here.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 11:24 PM

Hi 300ohm, thanks for the advice. Would I be better off with a Gen I or Gen II or a GS? I'm willing to try out a few builds just for the heck of it. I've built a couple of prototypes and I'm having fun with the tinkering, so I'd be willing to try out a couple of options.
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 12:07 AM
Veteran

I think the DBGH gen1 for your postive NM range would do as well as others. You basically need your peak gain over the channel 40 to 47 range. Channel 51, your strongest channel, should come in over the back side.

post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 09:00 AM

Okay, I'll give that a go and report back when I've got it up. Thanks again for the help.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 12:55 PM
Veteran

Youre in even worse shape than epicDistortion.

post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 01:16 PM

Dark zone

Heh, yeah. It seems like the tri-cities are a pretty dark region for DTV reception. You'd think with all of the high-tech in the region we'd be a little more advanced than we are.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-08-11 at 04:07 PM.
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 04:09 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, some people have had to go to heroic measures to get DTV signals in your area:

ON - Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph, Cambridge, Bruce Peninsula
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 10:20 PM

Build has started

I've started working on the build of my DBGH antenna. So far I've had trouble sourcing the following:

6 or 8 ga copper wire. The biggest I've seen at the Rona's and Home Depots around here is 10 which will work for the phase lines as I understand it. A friend of mine suggested that some jewellery repair/supply shops may have it, or copper rods which would be ideal because they'd already be nice and straight.

Sch 40 1/2" PVC fittings are a hassle to find. I've found a specialized plumbing store that stocks the elbows and T's, but no cross pieces. Rona and Home depot have nothing in PVC, only CPVC which are different sizes. Oddly enough though they do sell 10' lengths of the sch 40 1/2" pipe. I'd like to find an actual contractor supply store that'd have the fittings, because the one source I have found sells the T's for $1.25 each and the elbows for $1.05.

Everything else I've found pretty easily, but what I'm missing is pretty critical. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 11:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Home depot have nothing in PVC, only CPVC which are different sizes. Oddly enough though they do sell 10' lengths of the sch 40 1/2" pipe.
Thats hard to believe, thats common stuff everywhere. An option can be to order it from them and theyll have it in a couple of days. Use the grey electrical sch40 for the pipe. Its 60% cheaper and is UV resistant to boot.

Quote:
6 or 8 ga copper wire
You could go the aluminum route from Metal Supermarkets. But then youll have to get approx 10 gauge aluminum for the phasing lines. You dont want to mix metals.

post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 11:55 PM
Veteran

epicDistortion: I have had the same trials and tribulations. Rona and Home Depot are completely useless for "antenna parts". Try Stan's Plumbing in Guelph for pvc fittings. I will have 200 ft of 6 gauge copper wire soon if you would like a piece.
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 2009-08-15, 08:26 AM

300ohm. I asked at both stores. The guy at the home depot is a retired plumber who I used to know from when I did drywall for a living. He said he's been trying to get the store to order fittings for a couple of years, with no luck. I wonder if it's something that isn't required for our codes in Ontario and that's why the stores don't bother.

Peano: Thanks for the tip. I'll look them up. If I'm unable to find anything else, I'd love to take a chunk of that wire off your hands. Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Tags
antenna , reception

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.