Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The DPP44 switch

182K views 383 replies 92 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A DPP44 switch will also give you four outputs however requires the lnb(s) to be DPP twin, DP singles, DP duals, DP twin or a DP quad. Just like the DP34 it only requires two lines into the switch to get 82 and 91.

This switch just like the DPP twin allows you to use a DPP separator(s) for dual tuner receivers. Therefore it is possible to have 4 receivers regardless if they are dual tuner. Another advantage of DPP technology is that legacy receivers work as long as you have one DP or DPP compliant receiver hooked up.

This receiver requires a power adaptor to be hooked up on port one. Unfortunatly the DPP44 is the most expensive switch and are very rare to find in Canada for sale. It will cost you around $100 or more after shipping, duty etc.

This switch has four inputs from four different orbital locations if that matters to you.

#118 ·
does your cable pass through a surge protector? failed surge protectors often will notch out certain frequencies.
do you have something wireless/cordless near the receiver? rf interference may be getting into the receiver. try unplugging the suspect device from power for a minute and see if the problem goes away. try moving the receiver farther away from the tv as well in case that is radiating into your receiver, especially if it is a crt type of tv, they have pretty powerful magnetic fields around them from the flyback transformer and yoke.
many years ago i used to see receivers that wouldn't tune in the highest or lowest transponders, due to a problem in the power supply but that's probably not your problem here since it's in the middle of the band. if you've ruled out the possibility of cable or switch by substitution then it has to be in the receiver, possibly a bad tuner.

#119 ·
I have a BEV 9200 dual tuner receiver.

I want to add another HD single tuner HD receiver.

My setup:

Dish on roof.

The SWP24 switch is on the roof (outdoors) tied to the dish. I have two leads into the house.

Two feeds into 9200 receiver with power inserter in one line. I currently run it in two tuner mode, with a second TV driven by the second tuner.

Adding the HD tuner and using the RG6 run from the first TV, can I use the DPP 44 to use the existing leads, minus power inserter, into the DPP 44, then rn dual tuners on the 9200, and HD on the other HD tuner via a thir Rg6 cable? OR do I need to disconnect the SWP44 at the dish and un the wires direct from the dish to the DPP 44 and then out to the 9200 and HD single tuner receiv

Also, am I missing someting here?

#120 ·
I am guessing you mean an SW44 at the Dish.

If this is the case, you will have 2 spare ports on that SW44, simply run an RG6 from either of these Ports to the location for the Single Tuner HD receiver, or 2 lines from both spare Ports to a Dual Tuner HD PVR.

You could run a line from the spare Port to the rear of the 9200 and then connect it to the RG6 that feeds the Remote TV. Using a pair of Diplexers, would enable you to still retain the use of Tuner #2 on the 9200 and still connect up a new HD Single Tuner Receiver at the Remote TV location.

#121 ·
Sorry, yes SW44.

I missed a detail. I do not want to run any more cables into my house. WAF is low, and everything is sealed up, so I have to get by with just two feeds from dish into house, hence my discussion of the DPP44. I want to use my 9200 in dual tuner ode )pic in pic, etc) and use the current RG6 which drives our second TV via IR remote to send signal to a new HD box (a 4242 IIRC,) already purchased. Hope this clarifies.

#124 ·
Yep, pretty sure that was what I said......

If the second receiver is the 9242, he will need 2 x seperators. No requirement at this stage for any other equipment at all.

#126 ·
If you get the DPP Twin LNBF, it has 2 outputs, each will have signal from BOTh birds.

Take 1 on the inputs off the 9200, add a DPP Seperator and then attach the 2 subsequent lines to the 2 inputs of the 9200. The other line that was the second input to the 9200, connect that to the line currently attached to the TV2 output of the 9200, using a barrel connector (F81). The other end of this line can them be attached to the 6131's input.

Should be pretty clean installation with no extra holes etc.

#128 ·
THAT looks like the ticket. Thanks PINZA. Apologies for being a dolt, this stuff really confuses me.

Can I get the DPP twin lnd in Canada, or do I go to the US for it. Looks like this is a cheaper solution that a DPP44 anyways.

Also, I assume I climb up to the dish, disconnect the existing wires, remove the LNBF, replace with the new one, attach the new LNBF, connect RG6 cable. THEN, input the separator ahead of the 9200 (no power inserter I assume) and connect the other RG6 with the barrel connector to the second sat wire.

Will everything just work as it does now on the 9200, or will there be any re-setup issues? Will Bell know I have changes the setup without a visit to my home? Also, I assume I am in Dutch if bell comes out since I am renting equipment. Or will they even care?

Thanks guys, I think a light is going on.

#130 ·
Hi, having some issues with DPP twin and single 6141 receiver. In Muskoka and a long run with 2 cables to dish on a tower as ridge behind property. 2 and 3 sections of cable as not able to do in single run - used high quality outdoor quad shield; with good compression fittings. Receiver can see satellites with single cable run to 6141 but only on "odd" numbered transponders and not able to get a picture, strengths of about 55% on 91 and 73% on 82. Check switch etc. doesn't help - looks like not "locking on" and shows an "X" in checkswitch report for transponder under Port 1 and Port 2 and "reception Error" under status. Will try outdoors close to tower later but lack equipment to do now. From what I've read it's my distance (possibly cabling/connections of course as well) that's the issue.

My question is whether a DPP44 would help especially if I mount it with power close to the tower (I have an electrical panel near tower and power at the junction halfway as well)? The rest of the run to house would then presumably act like indoor wiring usually does. Happy to buy the switch if I know it will solve the problem.

Thanks

Mark

#138 ·
Remember there is a 3 db loss per connector and you are already into a long run with associated losses.

The swirtch may help, but the simplest and cheapest is to go grab one of the (june 2009) cable offers from the source ($25 for 500 feet RG6). If that works you are good to go, if not you have at least removed the db loss and any corossion issues down the road.

The DPP44 does have a power inserter which helps, but doesn't fix bad design (extra long multi-segment cable run).

#131 ·
I would doubt you would see a difference with ading a DPP44 switch, if any.

Your signal levels are low, so I would be looking at the Cable/Connectors and especially the barrel connectors (F81's), it may well be that these are not able to pass the higher frequency signals, they need to be 2Ghz ones.

Could you also give us a footage of the distance involved. Good quality RG6 should be fine upto 400', even more.

Other options might include larger Dish's or RG11 Cable.

#132 ·
Probably close to 400' distance, would need to measure it off. The connectors are just generic gold coloured ones, plus indoors (and outside temporarily) it's a Hubbell silver coloured jack insert. I can shorten the cables somewhat as there was extra left after construction. "Ideal" Home Depot compression fittings. Will look for better connectors and try again next weekend. Thanks for the quick advice!

Where's a good source for high quality barrels (and different compression fittings if you think i'll help, I have a full set of Paladin tools for the install).

#135 ·
with very long cable runs the switch may not be able to read the commands from the receivers to do the switching. i would recommend the switch be at most 200' from the receivers, approximately in the middle of your 400' run. if that's not possible, put the switch closer to the receivers and use line amplifiers near the dish that have slope compensation to correct for more loss at the higher frequencies.
you may have to measure the voltage in line with the cable at the lnb to make sure you haven't lost too much in the cable between switch, amplifier and lnb. you should have at least 12 volts at the lnb. some satellite meters can measure the voltage and current in line with everything running.

#136 ·
Thanks, at present I don't have a separate DPP switch as with DPP twin to a single 61xx receiver not needed. I have it working ok with the other dish that's mounted using old school LNB's and will just use a SW21 to get both satellites. Nice to know there's some other options though; I'd explore them if I was living there full time but for a cottage I can live with it as is.

#137 ·
and 1 other thing i forgot to mention is that you would probably have to use 2 separate dishpro stacked lnbs instead of the one with the 2 lnbs in one housing since the very long cable lengths would probably reduce the commands from the receiver so much that the built in switch inside the lnbs might not be able to read the data. with 2 separate stacked lnbs and enough amplification you should be able to get hundreds of feet from the dish. if you have power near the dish, you could put powered lnb launch amplifiers in and not have to worry about the voltage loss in the cable either.

#139 ·
Thanks. The problem is that this is in very rough terrain and we only found out about the possiblity of placing the dish on a communications tower on the property midway through construction; it was just the way the timing worked out with earth moving equipment that the cable runs were buried in segments. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have done it differently, but running cable in rough rural country isn't anything like running it in the city or in farm areas.

#140 ·
DPP44 vs. 4100

Hello All,
Just wanted to give you an update on my DPP44 and 4100 matter. It looks like the problem is my television set of all things. It looks like the TV isn't shielded properly and since I was putting the receiver above the TV unit, there was some sort of interference going on that cause the receiver to drop transpnders....Yikes....Move the receiver well away from the TV and now all is fine. Just wished that I had thought of it earlier than replacing the cable run twice and the connectors a zillion times. Not sure who suggested to move the receiver, but t it worked!!..Thanks all..

Tazz..

#141 ·
DPP

Ok here is what I am going to do, I have 2 dual tuners and 1 single tuner, I will run a DPP twin lnb, 1 line to 1 room into DPP separator and into receiver and then second line into different room with same setup into dual tuner, now I want to run a DPP splitter into one of the lines coming off of Twin which will feed single tuner and dual tuner. Is this possible and which switch would I use, I have talked to 2 different dealers who sell the stuff and 1 says it will work and 1 says it won't. Thankyou.

#142 ·
tazzsterk2, yes you have discovered the major flaw with the 4100. It caused hundreds of service calls when first released for the exact reasons you found.

#143 ·
the dishpro splitter should only be used to feed the 2 inputs of 1 receiver because that receiver knows what the other tuner is looking for and can send a command down the cable to ask for one of the 4 polarities to downconverted/upconverted to the band it has reserved for that tuner.
if you try to feed 2 different receivers from the splitter they don't have the ability to communicate with each other and reserve 2 different frequency bands to use to get one of the polarities for each. if you have run out of ports to hookup to, the only solution is to add a compatible multiswitch and probably cascade out to a second switch.

#144 ·
redster, you need a DPP44 multiswitch connected to the DPP LNBF, to achieve what you want. This will give you 4 outputs each can be split using a seperator to feed a Dual Tuner receiver or feed a single Tuner receiver.

#145 ·
I have around 50 feet from the side of the house where I would be installing my dish to my wiring closet where I plan to install the DPP44 switch. Alternatively, I can install on a spot in the front of the house about 20 feet from the wiring closet.
My wife is not fond of the close location,as she does not like the look of a dish on the front of the house. Should I start convincing her that the dish should go on the front of the house, or can I get away with the side wall, which is further away? Is 50 feet too long of a run from the LNB to the switch?
I have lots of RG6 quad shielded cable from the sale at the source a few months back.

Kasper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.