Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The DPP44 switch

182K views 383 replies 92 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A DPP44 switch will also give you four outputs however requires the lnb(s) to be DPP twin, DP singles, DP duals, DP twin or a DP quad. Just like the DP34 it only requires two lines into the switch to get 82 and 91.

This switch just like the DPP twin allows you to use a DPP separator(s) for dual tuner receivers. Therefore it is possible to have 4 receivers regardless if they are dual tuner. Another advantage of DPP technology is that legacy receivers work as long as you have one DP or DPP compliant receiver hooked up.

This receiver requires a power adaptor to be hooked up on port one. Unfortunatly the DPP44 is the most expensive switch and are very rare to find in Canada for sale. It will cost you around $100 or more after shipping, duty etc.

This switch has four inputs from four different orbital locations if that matters to you.

#89 ·
Pinza

The switch has four outputs so I will run 3-3100's and the run another line from the switch to a seperator.....that will give me the dual turner for my 9242..is that right now LOL ?

Just want be sure I know what Iam doing before I purchase all this stuff...as you can tell iam a little confused, but think iam on the right track now LOL.

#90 ·
Pinza

The switch has four outputs so I will run 3-3100's and the run another line from the switch to a seperator.....that will give me the dual turner for my 9242..is that right now LOL ?
That is correct, you will need one seperator for the 9242. The seperator will then give you the split you need for the two tuners at the 9242.

Also, remember that the DPP44 switch can be cascaded so if you ever need more feeds at a later time you can just add another one. Just to keep in mind before you decide where you mount your first DPP44 switch.

#93 ·
Anyone know where I could purchase a DPP44 switch in the Hamilton Ontario area?

I went to a sat store but they do not carry that switch....eBay a better bet?

Also....The DPP Dual LNBF is only a single head with two outputs, and that picks up both 91/82 sats?

Thanks again guys for all your help
Glenn

#94 ·
You will get your best price for DP/DPP equipment off of ebay.

The DP Dual LNBF single LNBF is for one satellite only. Buy two of them to replace the two Legacy LNBFs Bell gives you. Then you just send one line from each of the DP LNBs to the DPP44 switch The second port on each of the LNBs is not needed, consider it a spare. The rest of the cabling has already be covered, and yes the DP LNBs work fine with the DPP44 switch.

#98 ·
There is NO such thing as a DPP dual or DPP34. These only come as DP dual and a DP34.

There is however a DPP33 and DPP44

One ebay person I dealt with lives or lived in hamilton. Pm me if still looking and I can send you his email.

#99 ·
You are correct "Q".

Glenn, every reference I have made to a DPP Dual LNBF, was a typo, I meant a DPP Twin LNBF.

The DPP Twin LNBF, has 2 outputs and 1 input (not used at this time). It will work EXACTLY as I suggested, I just called it a Dual when it is really a Twin....

Hope that makes sense.

#101 ·
You and me both.....lol

I think this is how it works;

A Single LNBF - Has 1 Output Port
A Dual LNBF - Has 2 Output Ports
A Twin LNBF - Has 2 Output Ports and is double the width, fitting into BOTH openings in the "Y" Yolk.
A Quad LNBF - Has 4 Output Ports and is double the width, fitting into BOTH openings in the "Y" Yolk.

Is this correct "Q".?

#103 ·
After reading up on this thread, and others, and looking at all the ways split the incoming lines, I think I have a handle on this, but would like some advise to double check before I buy the equipment.

my problem is that i only have 2 lines coming into my house,
do I go with to the dpp twin lnbf, one cable goes to an fta, and one cable goes to a separator and then to the bev dual tuner 9200.
or
go with 2 single dp lnbf's, one line each into a dpp44 switch, then one output to a separator for the 9200, and one output into the fta, this leaves a couple of spares for future.
correct me if im wrong, but i think both will work.

Do I need a dp - legacy adaptor? or is the 9200 considered dp compatible?
and will the dp or dpp lbnf's work with fta's?
thanks

#105 ·
Power inserted

Hi guys

Will it matter if the cable from the power inserter to the switch is say 20' feet long? I want to install the DPP44 in the basement but power it from the main floor.

Also I read my 9242 should be plugged into the power inserter instead of the switch.....dose this port put out more power... Is that why?

Thanks guys
Glenn

#106 ·
Hi guys

Will it matter if the cable from the power inserter to the switch is say 20' feet long? I want to install the DPP44 in the basement but power it from the main floor.

Also I read my 9242 should be plugged into the power inserter instead of the switch.....dose this port put out more power... Is that why?

Thanks guys
Glenn
The RG6 from the #1 out port of the DPP44 goes to the input of the power inserter which can sit right behind your 9242. Then connect a short section of RG6 from the output of the power inserter to the separator for the 9242.

I am not sure the max. distance for the power inserter but up to 50 ft. should be fine.

#108 ·
DDP44

Hello All..
First I would like to thank all of you for the great info about the DPP44.
Let me give you the inventory of what I have and the problem that is occuring.
I have a 9242, 2x3100 and 4100. DPP Twin LNB going to a DPP44. Separator used for the 9242. ( I thank God that I was able to find a brand new 9242 2 months ago. I live near calgary, and had to get my sister in Montreal to buy and send it to me). Anywhoo..the problem is with the 4100. Initally when I connected everything up, the only receiver that didn't work at all was the 4100. After reading many posts on this Forum, it was pretty clear to me that the RG6 connector at each end of the cable run was to blame, and ultimately, it was. Switched out the connectors and voila the 4100 works and recognizes eveything. Get a satallie signal of almost 96%. The problem....Channels 600 and up don't always work. I flipped transponders to see and (for a second time) replaced the connectors once again with a higher end connector (T&B) and still issues with channels 600 and up...anybody have any ideas? And if this issue has been posted before, my accept my apologies. I was going to post this in the 4100 forum, but mainly this problem has occurred witht the install of the DPP products.
I thought to maybe give Bell a call, then stopped myself, laughed, then came here. Thanks! Tazz.

#109 ·
try substituting another receiver at the 4100's location if possible to rule out a receiver problem. if you still have the same problem then most likely there is a problem in that one cable run back to the multiswitch as follows.
1-cable type and length. ( if you have rg59 instead of rg6 you will be losing a lot of signal at the higher frequencies and the problem gets worse the longer the cable is. it could be the reason you are having connector problems, in addition there are a few different types of rg6 cable so if you have quad shield you should have the proper connectors for that )
2-damaged cable. look for kinks, squashes, splits, and nails or staples that cut the cable. if you have pets, or varmints, look for teeth marks. if cable is laying in water or buried in the dirt in a crawl space, water can easily get in. you probably won't be able to inspect cable that's hidden inside the wall but you can run a temporary bypass cable direct from the switch to the receiver to verify it's the cable.
3-cable wrapped around electrical wires. i've seen a few installs now where excess cable was coiled up near the electrical panel, or the cable was bundled up tightly with an a/c power cable for a long run. whenever something with a motor that drew a lot of current started up such as refrigerator or dryer, the receiver would cut out on certain channels.

#110 ·
Thanks Lonnie.
I've checked the 4100 at other locations in the house and the 4100 works perfectly. Tried my other receivers where the 4100 usually sits, and my other 3100's have issues with the cable. I will very likely have to replace that cable run. Thankfully it's the shortest run....Maybe 30 feet in all. From the storage room through one floor into the bedroom right up above. Bit of a pain, but at least it's not one end of the house to the other.
Just a note to you folks with long cable runs...
I currently run two cables from the DPP Twin LNB, approx 100 ft each to the DPP44. to the 9242 is another 75 ft with the power inverter sitting at the switch. the other three runs are approx 75 ft, 60 ft and 30 ft. Based on what I have read with using the DPP Twin LNB and the DPP44, I should be running into problems, but I am not. (well except for the bad cable run that's 30 ft). Cable in the house is only rated for a max of 2400MHz, and the longest cable run to the 9242 gives virtually no signal loss. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but if you were thinking that maybe you couldn't install the Twin/DPP44 due to length, believe me...it's not an issue.

Cheers!

#113 ·
the 200 foot rating is assuming a certain "dish size/signal strength" , a typical loss per foot for the rg6 cable and a certain amount of headroom at the receiver to account for bad weather. if you have a much hotter signal going into the switch say from a bigger dish you could go much farther with the cable or if you have the usual dish size but poor quality cable and a rainy day you might get only 100 feet of acceptable signal from your cable. you won't see the actual signal strength on the receiver's signal meter though, that's more of a quality number than strength. you will probably see the same number for the same transponder on all your receivers regardless of cable length 'til the strength falls below the threshold that it can use.

#116 ·
What the ?????

Ok..So I replaced the cable run with some higher end cable. Threw on new connectors, and I am still having an issue with the 4100. I have narrow it down to that only channels using transponder 10 are not working. Any clues on what the heck I'm doing wrong. I can't be this stupid..??..Can I...
As for the power inverter. I'm trying to find where I read that even though your dual received will power the DPP44, it's always better to use the inverter.

Thanks All....

T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.