Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The DPP44 switch

182K views 383 replies 92 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A DPP44 switch will also give you four outputs however requires the lnb(s) to be DPP twin, DP singles, DP duals, DP twin or a DP quad. Just like the DP34 it only requires two lines into the switch to get 82 and 91.

This switch just like the DPP twin allows you to use a DPP separator(s) for dual tuner receivers. Therefore it is possible to have 4 receivers regardless if they are dual tuner. Another advantage of DPP technology is that legacy receivers work as long as you have one DP or DPP compliant receiver hooked up.

This receiver requires a power adaptor to be hooked up on port one. Unfortunatly the DPP44 is the most expensive switch and are very rare to find in Canada for sale. It will cost you around $100 or more after shipping, duty etc.

This switch has four inputs from four different orbital locations if that matters to you.

#304 ·
Not sure I'm following you crs75.

I'm talking about the power inserter and power supply, not the switch itself. I know that the power supply for the SW44 is 24 volt DC. Is it the same thing for the DPP44 one?

This is why I'm asking because I think that the DPP one is 28.0V or 21.5 V DC.

Thx

#308 ·
I think what he's saying is that you can hook up 6 receivers to a DPP44. 4 using the normal outputs that you'd normally use, and 2 of the outputs that would normally cascade to a second DPP44, but you can only use #1 and #3, or #2 and #4?

But I could be way off on that one lol.

This is the first I've ever heard of this and I doubt it actually works 100% (if at ll). If it did, Bell would be telling techs to do it like this rather than using a DPP Quad and DPP44.

#309 ·
I agree. Even if it is possible, there must be a reason NOT to do it, otherwise as you say, all 6 receiver installations on Dish would just use a DPP44 and not 2 of them.

#310 ·
Hi,
I want to have more HD receivers in my house (I currently have one HD PVR and one regular HD receiver) so I can do the following correct?
I have two lines coming from the dish and each line is going to a receiver. If I buy this switch I would have to make sure that both lines meet on the same level of the house and then install the lines into the switch. From the output on the switch I would then feed a line to each of the receivers. Correct?

#311 ·
Yes exactly. The satellite cables (the 2 coming from you dish) will go into Port 1 and Port 2 (on the left hand side of the DPP44). The receivers will connect at the bottom of the DPP44 (up to 4 receivers). Don't forget to rescan the Dish once installed since the receiver needs to find that there is a DPP44 in the configuration.

#312 ·
As long as its coming from a DPP Twin to a DPP44 your good to go, only thing I want to ensure is that 91 is on port 1 of the DPP44 (otherwise known as Port 1 to Port 1) and 82 on port 2 (otherwise known as Port 2 to Port 2). Once this is completed and the power inserter is connected on the recevier side of output number 1, just go ahead and hit menu 6 1 1 and then select the option for check switch, once complete you should have Port 1 = 91 and Port 2 = 82 and check switch indicating DPP44 as the switch type, and thats it, oh wait did I mention Bob's your uncle?

#314 ·
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but looking for an opinion what to do.

I currently have a DPP twin lnb feeding into a DP34 which feeds into 3 SD receivers. I'm about to upgrade two of the receivers to a 9241 and a 6141. I'm pretty sure the 6141 won't be a problem. The 9241 will work off one input, but I won't be able to record and watch something else at the same time. If I didn't want to run a second line to the 9241 is the DPP44 the best option with a dish seperator or is there a better option? I also don't want to run more than the two lines I have from the dish.

#315 ·
You answered your own question...... The DPP44 is what you need, then with the use of DPP Separators behind the 9241 you can feed BOTH tuners with the one line, which is just perfect.

#316 ·
Adding another receiver to my system

I have a spare 3100 which I want to add again to my system. When I bought a 9241, the 3100 was a spare as I have a 4100 and another 3100 on the system.

I have a DP44 installed with output 1 leading to the power inverter and continuing to the 9241 which just before the receiver, it has a splitter with both lines to the 9241

Output 2 leads to the 4100 receiver and output 3 to a 3100. To use output 4 to the other 3100 requires alot of new cable and hard to get to the room that I need it in.

I was wondering if the power inverter supplies enough power to the system where I can either:

1) Use a 3 way splitter before the 9241 sending 2 cables to the 9241 for the dual tuner and the third through a wall to the room where the spare 3100 would be located or.....

2) Use a 2 way splitter just before the 4100 and using one to supply the 4100 and the other to the spare 3100. This option requires about 20 feet more cable than Option 1, but is very easy to get a line from the room with the 4100 to the new room.

Also I would like to know which of these options would have the least effect on signal strength for the remaining receivers, if it even does affect signal strength. I an really trying to avoid running a new line back to the DP44 and using output 4 due more to the difficulty in getting there than having to buy the cable.

Sorry for rambling, but any help would be appreciated.

#317 ·
@ZackThat "splitter" before the 9241 is not a splitter it's a separator and needs to stay with the 9241 for it to work properly. You cannot use splitters on satellite signal. It won't work that way like cable does. You're pretty much stuck running the cable from the dp44 to the 4th receiver, or alternatively if your dp44 is not on the dish you can get a DPPQuad LNB, run the DP44 with the same two lines it's ran with now and run a line from the 3rd port on the quad to your 4th receiver.

@Joe Louie I don't think it's that two DP44's cascaded won't work so much as it's the 6 receiver limit Bell has placed on customers. I know a tech or two that have done it in their own basements and it works just like you dream. In theory if I had a DPP Quad and 2 DP44's I would be capable of now hooking up TEN receivers in my house. Even with just the 2 switches you'd have the capability of 8. That's why they don't want you to do that. Just my theory.

#318 ·
Even with just the 2 switches you'd have the capability of 8. That's why they don't want you to do that. Just my theory.
This is 'exactly' why Bell do not want it done like this, besides if the limit is 6 Receivers there should never be the need for 8 outlets, right.? That is Bell thinking, not mine.

I just did a small Apartment building with 12 units, 2 lines to each, all from a DPP Quad feeding 6 x DPP44's, 3 per side. The customers know they can only have 2 Receivers per Suite but they can get anything they want, 2 x 9241's or 2 x 4100's.

Nice clean installation one very happy Owner.

#319 ·
Pinza,

how many hours did this install take?

were you able to use the existing cables that run to each apartment?

were the DPP44's all located in the building's utility cable room?

Jsut asking because I've had a recent enquiry from a building owner here in Durham Region.

Thank you.

#320 ·
I'm well aware of the 6 receiver limit, but I've had more than a few times that customers have had 6 receivers, but wanted additional rooms hooked up so they could move the receivers to a different room if they wanted. The last time I did this was before the DPP Quad and DPP44 were used by Bell, so it was a lot of multiswitches and SW44s (and A LOT more headache), but the idea is still the same. If the customer is paying for it, I'll hook up as many lines as they want. In this one particular case I think it ended up being ~$250 in extra charges for me to hook up every room in the house.

#323 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am sorry, used the wrong terminology. I know that a standard splitter will not work with satellite systems. Going back to my question, if I install as separator before the 4100 and send one cable to the 3100 in the next room, would that work or do separators only work on the line that the power inverted is connected to.

And does any of this hurt the signal strength to the reciever.

Thanks

#324 ·
It's not that separators only work on the line on the power supply. ANY receiver or NO receiver at all can be on the power supply line. The issue is that the separator does not work like a splitter does for cable. It is to make dual tuner receivers , such as the 9241 work properly. 3100's and 4100's are single tuner receivers. To answer your question simply, what you are suggesting will NOT work. Every receiver needs its own line whether it be directly from the dish or from a switch ran off the dish.

#326 ·
Quick Question

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but, I picked up a second DPP44 from back home in MT on Memorial long weekend, and I want to add it to my existing DPP44, so all I have to do is go from one switch to the other in terms of connecting them correct? I don't need any eagle aspens in between like I did when I hooked up two SW44's do I?

#327 ·
You are correct. If you want it to look really professional grab a couple of "F71's" they are Male to Male F Barrel Connectors.

You only need 2 of the 3 links connecting, use the top two, as they correspond to the Inputs.

#329 ·
I have now started carrying a large bag of F71's (Male to Male barrel connector) to give to Techs for connecting 2, DPP44's together, looks very neat indeed.

#330 ·
I can't see where I would very often use two dpp44s on the same house. I think I've done it twice ever. One was a six receiver job with three upstairs and three downstairs all hardwired rather than run a fourth line out the opposite side of the basement from my switch feeds I ran two about 15 feet from my dish into one of the bedrooms and set another switch for upstairs. The other was a house with nine receivers. The wife already had an account with five receivers and the husband was setting up another account with four more that I was doing. They asked me if it was possible to use the same dish. Dish already had a dpp44 on the back ran by a quad. Spare port on the quad used for upstairs, two lines straight down from the dish to the basement to feed another dpp44 and three receivers.

When I was pretty new at the job I had a supervisor roll up on a six receiver job I had in progress. He HIT THE ROOF at the mere mention of cascading two of those switches even though in reality in that particular situation it would have saved a LOT of cable, zip ties work and time. Work harder not smarter. That's Bell's way.....as proven yet again by their latest batch of rules from the good idea fairy.

#331 ·
Most Techs I meet would much rather run 2 lines and then use 2 x DPP44's, especially when all lines to the rooms are home runs at the electrical panel. Makes sense to me and the one NI Co, does not count inventory at all, so I just turn a blind eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.