Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The DPP44 switch

182K views 383 replies 92 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A DPP44 switch will also give you four outputs however requires the lnb(s) to be DPP twin, DP singles, DP duals, DP twin or a DP quad. Just like the DP34 it only requires two lines into the switch to get 82 and 91.

This switch just like the DPP twin allows you to use a DPP separator(s) for dual tuner receivers. Therefore it is possible to have 4 receivers regardless if they are dual tuner. Another advantage of DPP technology is that legacy receivers work as long as you have one DP or DPP compliant receiver hooked up.

This receiver requires a power adaptor to be hooked up on port one. Unfortunatly the DPP44 is the most expensive switch and are very rare to find in Canada for sale. It will cost you around $100 or more after shipping, duty etc.

This switch has four inputs from four different orbital locations if that matters to you.

#280 ·
Are you adding the 9241.?

If you are, is it possible that you have a pair of SW21's at the Dish.?

Also to run a DPP Switch, you need DP or DPP LNBF's....

#282 ·
OK, so right now you have 2 lines from a DPP Twin LNBF, behind the 9241 is a DPP Seperator running off 1 line, the other line feeds the 6131 directly.?

It really should be as simple as connecting the 2 lines to the DPP44, on Inputs 1 & 2. Make sure you connect the Power Supply and Inserter to Output Port #1. Then feed your receivers from any of the 4 output Ports.

Make sure you do NOT use the ports at the opposite side to teh Inputs, they are for cascading.

If that does not work, it can be, switch, power supply/Inserter, a cable or connector.

Are you sure there are no splitters in the new line.? Have you run a Check Switch.?

#283 ·
Both lines from the DPP are hooked up to the switch.
Power supply is in port 1 and the three receivers are in 2,3 and 4. The 9241 is working in both SD and HD. The 6131's and not working at all. I took a pic of the switch installation summery. I can email it to you. I also have a pic of the switch.

#285 ·
I have a weird problem, I had a twin LNBF setup that worked perfectly until I decided to add a DPP44, now after setup it up with much reading on this forum everything seems to work great for a while but all of a sudden I'll lose a satellite, the curious thing is that its a different one for each box I have.

My 9241 loses 82 while my 5800 loses 91, if I unplug the outputs from the DPP44 and plug back in it'll work normally for a time then bam. Not sure what to make of this, I'm very sure the power inserter is plugged into port 1 output like its supposed to.

Any ideas?

#286 ·
Could be a bad switch but it could also be your connections. Check the connectors to make sure that the center conductor is not too short and fits nicely in the switch ports. I guess you needed to cut the existing cables to install the switch. Check each connector you made to make sure it is good. Bad cables can do funny things.

#287 ·
It sounds to me like bad cable. I have found that cabling used for legacy will fail when used with DP/P 21V. This is due to the extra current being just enough for the current to arch inside T25 staple CRUSHED and SHORTING coax. As an installer I've yanked THOUSANDS of feet of T25 affixed coax. The OTHER installer in this area uses T25s even after I worked for the guy for a short period and TOLD HIM EXPLICITLY to not do that. He didn't listen and thus why I no longer work for him.

I've seen customers that replace IRDs on a yearly basis for this and have employed the official Bell installers. I come in... in less that two minutes I know the problem, "Look here (customer name) see that coax up there on the eaves with the staple, see how it's partly CRUSHED! that's your problem (customer name)!"

I then yank the entire cabling for the house for satellite unless it's already in the walls and start from scratch with Belden 7915A tri-shield solid copper. A lot of these customers think it's normal to have satellite install issues yearly!

LOL

What really gets me is that in 90% of these cases OFFICIAL Bell installers have actually came out and didn't spot or was TO LAZY to replace all the CRUSHED IFLs. Years of issues and multi truck rolls and issues persisted... until I came and did it properly.

A lot of screwy issues are crushed coax or screwy F-cons. A lot of people are used to CATV and it's forgiveable cabling frequency. With l-band and the voltage driving the LNB it's a whole other ball of wax and the cabling has to be done properly.

I'm so anal I even run sweeps with a scope and a broadband noise generator to confirm my install to TIA/EIA-568 certifiable standards.

#288 ·
I rented a 6131 from Bell and they came to do the install...

My current setup is:

2 x 9241
2 x 6131
DPP Twin LNB (been installed for several years. Thanks Dish Network!)
DPP44 switch (been installed for several years. Thanks Dish Network!)
2 x DPP Seperator (been installed for several years, first on 9242s now on 9241s. SIGH. Thanks Dish Network!)

The installer that came first looked where the nex box was going then started to talk about what he planned on doing. I waited then said, I alread have a DPP LNB connected to a DPP44 switch and the two 9241s each use a DPP seperator. He was shocked and we talked for about 30 seconds, then he went out to his truck and got a new DPP44 switch and we were off.

Finally got something decent from Bell instead of sourcing it elsewhere. Man, was I happy to see the DPP44!!!

Vis

#289 ·
@visiter555 ---> Count yourself lucky in this case! In reality that isn't correct procedure to be done (even though it says it right on the damn DPP44 that it can be cascaded)

What Bell wants done on installs (with more then 4 receivers) is DPP Quad LNBF with 4 lines coming down, 2 go to one DPP44 to feed four (dual or single tuners with or w/o separators) then the other two lines from the DPP Quad LNBF go to two other tuners (being either single or dual tuners with or without separators)

That then gives you your full total of 6, either being dual or single tuners, Seems like a lot of extra work to run the extra lines and I am sure a few techs out there will be doing it the incorrect way to bell standards whats stupid is that in the manual (if you get one) it says you can have a DPP Twin used to connect to the DPP44 as well as showing it being cascaded to form 12 tuners with 3 DPP44's

Pinza or Joelouie -- Is this practice both on existing installs with DPP Twins and new installs or does it apply to only one situation?
SIGH!

#290 ·
@m3repair, by Bell standards the tech should have run a 3rd line from the dish, keeping the 2 existing lines to the DPP44, and using the 3rd line to the new receiver,no Ifs, Ands or Buts about it... but, I can tell you that it's impossible to follow every Bell standard 100% of the time and still have a happy customer, so take from that what you will.

The new DPP equipment (DPP Quad and DPP44) is still in short supply from Bell, with the DPP44 being much more scarce, so in my opinion, in a situation like that it would all depend on how easy it was to run the 3rd line vs. the availability of the DPP44s.

#291 ·
All we can do is shake our heads at what Bell expect most days.

This outcome is/was perfect for the Customer & Installer, it is/was wrong as JoeLouie says from Bells' standpoint.

I say 'nice one Tech'.

#292 ·
Seeing as the tech spent a total of 15 minutes in the house on the call, he was way ahead on his calls.

Of course seeing as I own the dish, LNBF and the first DPP44 there was not a snowball's chance in that warm place that I was letting any Bell or contracted tech install anything (other than letting him scan the bar code to activate the receiver).

Half of the ones I have seen (their installs that is) have no clue of the electrical code or common sense.

Vis

#293 ·
SW44 Problem

I purchased a 9241. I previously had a 6131 and an older SD receiver. I was using an SW21 switch, but had to go to an SW44 with the new 9241. I moved the 6131 into the old SD receiver's spot and ran another cable for the 9241. The 9241 setup was straight forward and everything worked as it should. Now the 6131 only sees some SD channels. I performed many check switch functions and reset the receiver as well, with no change. The check switch screen reads - port:1; satellite: 91; transponder: X; status: reception error; switch: none; details: missing port 1b sat 91 even. The signal strength is 86% on sat 91 trans 11.
The 6131 line has the amplifier in it. I switched the amplifier down to the 9241 and it didn't see all of the previous channels, but the 6131 saw all of the channels (SD and HD) that it should have. I checked voltage out of the amplifier and it seemed to by delivering 24V. I also tried eliminating the amplifier but it didn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#298 ·
Ah, good man......lol

Could only suggest running a Check Switch without cables on the rear, then after it fails, connect and try again.

Check the connectors as well, for stray braiding inside.

#300 ·
So I tried that and still the same result, although the check switch screen reads a little differently

port: 1
satellite: X
trans: X
switch: none

port 1 none good connections, no signal

It seems like the 6131 can't 'see' the switch through the power inserter. The fourth output on the sw44 is empty. Would I be able to leave the power inserter on the first output alone and move the 6131 to the fourth output on the sw44? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.