The DishPro Plus (DPP) twin lnb - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

The DishPro Plus (DPP) twin lnb

Another lnb is the DishPro Plus (DPP) twin. It has the switch built in just like the DP twin but has an added feature for dual tuner receivers. This lnb will allow you to run one line into a DPP separator which has two outputs which go into your dual tuner receiver.

Typically the separator is only a few feet from the receiver. A DPP separator can NOT be used on two separate receivers. You can still run two lines into a dual receiver if you don't have a separator. Separators cost less than $10. A DPP twin is about the same as a DP twin.

The lnb has two outputs and one input from another satellite which allows three satellites on each output. The input is the one by itself on the right.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-01-23 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 10:06 AM
Member #1

Administrators Note:
I want to thank Q for all his work setting these threads. All of the work below was done by him. I merely helped him post some of this information (hence why it appears to be posted by me). Please direct any thanks or questions to him - Hugh

post #3 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 10:07 AM
Member #1

post #4 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 10:07 AM
Member #1

post #5 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 10:07 AM
Member #1

post #6 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 02:52 PM
Rookie

I recently purchased a 9242 to replace one that I was unable to activate. The installer connected it with a DPP Plus connector. While the first receiver got a signal. The replacement which I just swapped in place of the one I can't use I am receiving that it is not recognizing one of the inputs or switches and just comes up blank. So far, the only theory I have is that when doing the switch test, it is testing both inputs at the same time instead of doing them separately. Is there any way to fix this so that it stops trying to test both inputs together?
post #7 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

smnoll,

It is supposed to check both inputs. What LNB did he install? Is it a wire straight from lnb to DPP separator and then 2 lines into the 9242?
Might be easier if you post what the screen says after a check switch if you don't know.

Was this a Bell authorized installer? AFAIK they are not allowed to install DP or DPP equipment.
post #8 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 03:51 PM

The 9242 setup screen (Menu -> 6 -> 1 -> 1) has three variables you can set.

From left to right, Tuner Input (1 or 2), Transponder (up to 32), and Satellite (82 or 91).
To the left of those are buttons for Check Switch, Help, and Done.

Grelber

Panasonic TH-58PZ750, Sony STR-DE945, var spkrs, pwrd sub, 2 x Bell 9242, Sony PS3, Harmony 880PRO etc.
post #9 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 04:07 PM
Rookie

It is a DPP splitter because I had a DPP Plus LNB on the Dish so the installer put a DPP Splitter for one line to the two inputs since I only intend to use the receiver on the HD set.

Since I am in the United States, the work was done by someone who normally does Dish Network installations. I have a separate line from the same dish running to my 5900 which works fine.

As I mentioned before, the first receiver picked up a signal fine through the install but when I switched out the receiver using the same connections, it is not responding.
post #10 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

I would reverse the lines going into the receiver. If the opposite tuner sees nothing it is likely a connector, line or DPP separator issue.

If the same tuner sees nothing then it may be the receiver.
post #11 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 01:16 AM
Rookie

To follow up on what has happened since I posted. I tried the test switch test a few days later and surprisingly it recognized the connection, downloaded the receiver and I was able to get the receiver authorized. Although during the first few days I would occasionally get a switch error when I would go to watch an HD channel but it would clear up and then I had no problems at all, but over the weekend, it was saying again that there was a problem with one or more inputs and I can not receive programming from either satellite. I still get programming on my 5800 so I just don't have the HD channels for now. I bought another separator on eBay and am waiting for it since it looks like the problem is either the separator or the cable as to why the connection's not working.
post #12 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-06-16, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I don't understand what they mean in the picture by :
Quote:
"At least one DP or DP Plus Dual-Tune is required if a Legacy Receiver is connected"
Do they mean older receiver than the 3100 and 5900 ???
post #13 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-06-16, 10:02 AM

You can use legacy receivers if at least 1 dp receiver connected, no dp receiver connected then the lnb will not work for legacy receivers alone.

Legacy receivers 1000 2700 3700 4700 6000 etc. They don't use dp technology (higher frequency range to send signals) from receiver to lnb, they were released before dishpro was implemented by ECHOSTAR, hence they are refered to as "legacy".

Google and read up on it.
post #14 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Another lnb is the DishPro Plus (DPP) twin. It has the switch built in just like the DP twin but has an added feature for dual tuner receivers. This lnb will allow you to run one line into a DPP separator which has two outputs which go into your dual tuner receiver.

Typically the separator is only a few feet from the receiver. A DPP separator can NOT be used on two separate receivers. You can still run two lines into a dual receiver if you don't have a separator. Separators cost less than $10. A DPP twin is about the same as a DP twin.

The lnb has two outputs and one input from another satellite which allows three satellites on each output. The input is the one by itself on the right.
Hi Q,
Previous owner of my house had three runs of RG6 going to three different rooms (A+B+C). They left the dish with the 2 dual output lnbs for 91 & 82 but took the switch (not sure what he was using). I had 2 3100s in rooms B & C so I only used 2 of the cable runs (with SW21 switches). I recently got a 9242 so I bought a DPP Twin Lnb and a pair of DPP separators on eBay so I wouldn't have to run another line to room A to feed the dual tuners of the 9242. I originally intended to use the 2nd output of the DPP Twin & the 2nd separator to run each of 3100s in rooms B & C. After reading your post however (you mention a DPP separator can NOT be used on two separate receivers), looks like I might need another switch. Would I be able to feed the 2nd output of the DPP Twin into 1 of the 3 inputs of a DP34, then connect cable runs for rooms B & C to 2 of the 4 outputs of the DP34 to run the 3100s? I understand a DPP44 will work but it's also a lot more expensive. Any help/reply would be much appreciated!
P
post #15 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

ptyhrdboss,

Unfortunetely when using a DP34 or DPP44 switch it disables the internal switch of the DP twin, quad and DPP twin.

If you can't run 2 wires to the dual tuner receiver your options are limited to DPP twin or DPP44 switch unless you put up another dish.

Tags
dpp , dpp twin , separator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.