Receiver can't connect to dish - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-29, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Receiver can't connect to dish

Hi all, I have just set up a satellite dish at my cottage and brought my 6131 receiver from home. I've connected it directly to the dish (I.e. no switch). The dish is a dual LNB configuration but I I am only running a single coax cable from the receiver to port 1 on the 82 LNB. I did a check switch on the receiver and it doesn't' find anything and when I do a point dish, I get no signal. I believe I've got the dish pointed correctly and have tried moving it around a bit but nothing seems to help. Do I have something set up wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-29, 09:17 AM

Yes you have, the dish!!!

Try this:

1. Disconnect the incoming cable form the back of the 6131
2. Do a Check Switch test (using remote, press MENU, 6, 1, 1)
3. Go to Check Switch and select it. Go to Test and select it.
4. The receiver wil go thru 38 tests and fail.
5. Now re-connect the incoming cable to the Sat In port on the back of the 6131
6. Put the Signal Strength meter back on (MENU, 6, 1, 1)
7. Change Transponder to 24, change Satellite to 82
8. Slowly move your dish around until you find the signal.

This may involve raising/lowering the dish elevation by a degree or two, and then slowly moving the dish back and forth thru the area where the satellites are located.

Whereabouts is the Cottage?

DO you know the skew, elevation, and azimuth #'s for your Cottage?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-29, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, that worked like a charm! I am now getting 100% reception. Except now the problem is that I am only receiving the free preview channels. I did a full reset on the receiver yesterday, would that have lost my activation codes?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-29, 07:00 PM

Assuming the receiver is on your account and legitimate etc, just call Bell and get a programming hit sent to it. On the menu there's even an IVR that works well in my experience so you don't have to wait a half hour to talk to someone in India or the Philippines.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-29, 09:51 PM

Check your Guide.

Is it showing in red?

If it is, the receiver needs to be refreshed by Bell.

Call 1-888-SKY-DISH, give them your Account # and password, and ask them to "hit" all the receivers on your account.

When they confirm the hit has been sent, wait two minutes, pull the electrical cable out, wait 10 seconds, and plug the 6131 back in.

After it has rebooted, your channels should be there.

Good luck.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 07:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46FD04 View Post

When they confirm the hit has been sent, wait two minutes, pull the electrical cable out, wait 10 seconds, and plug the 6131 back in.
Why pull the plug? The receiver may miss the hit while powered down. It is not necessary.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 10:38 AM

Why? Because in fact the Bell Tech on the phone will tell you.

Once the hit is sent, pulling the SmartCard or in the 6131's case (no card) pulling the power cord, will allow the receiver to receive all it's channels back very quickly.

Otherwise, it can take up to 4 hours for everything to return.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 07:42 AM
Veteran

When the hit is sent, the smart card is updated within seconds. If the power is off at that time, the tiers will not get updated on the card and the channels will still show as unsubscribed.

Again, there is zero reason to unplug the receiver.

A front panel reset or smart card pull achieves the same thing (getting the guide to reload immediately).
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The dish is a dual LNB configuration but I I am only running a single coax cable from the receiver to port 1 on the 82 LNB.
Shouldn't you be connected to the 91 LNB? I thought watching whats on the 82 LNB is DEPENDENT on the system messages that are sent through 91. I've never heard of a setup whereby a receiver is hooked JUST to the 82 LNB. You can hook to just 91, but you will only receive the Standard Def channels.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 11:02 AM

Installs done at certain commercial buildings only have 82 installed on a 24 inch dish. (HD Preview channels on Demo TV's)

As for hits being concerned to receivers, from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong) the hits aren't just sent as one hit, it is actually sent multiple times for a span of time (unsure of this span of time) and even if it reset would ensue it would get hit again because it was being broadcasted multiple times. So in theory a miss would not happen even if a reset took place. From my personal practice though, I have only been asked to reset a few times. In actuality though a hit can be done without a receiver reset and isn't always necessary unless the receiver was frozen or acting up
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 12:04 PM

To clarify, unplugging the receiver or pulling the card is NOT required after a hit (or hits).

The reason I say you should do it (and Bell will tell you this if you are speaking to them requesting a hit), is because it will allow you to get ALL of your subscribed channels back in a few minutes, INSTEAD OF WAITING UP TO 2 HOURS.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-08-04, 03:37 PM
Rookie

I have NEVER had a CSR tell me this, nor have I EVER seen that on ANY Bell TV Documentation.

Until I see something in writing to that effect, DO NOT unplug the Receiver.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 08:04 AM

Switched over to 9242 and not getting all channels?

My friend recently switched out his 9241 for a 9242 and now he isn't getting all the channels he was getting before?? He is getting some HD but not all. I'm not sure what the problem could be because they are both dual tuners. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 09:06 AM

Did he do a check switch on the new unit?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 09:42 AM

Resets are not really required after just a programming hit. Most of them usually work pretty quickly. I've always used that IVR I mentioned in an earlier post with no problems. I've done it at customers houses on my own phone no passwords no fuss no muss. I think it's menu option 4 when you call sky dish. Occasionally people lose their programming on moves if the receivers have been off a satellite feed long enough. I had a guy yesterday moving into a new place that had had his receiver off the Bell teet since April.

The only time I really do a reset is when I'm putting in a brand new PVR. I let the receiver do all its software downloading while I do the paperwork and don't hit activate till that's done. If you do a hard reset a couple minutes after you hit activate it really speeds up the channels coming in on the new receiver so you can give the customer the rundown on how to use it etc and thus get on to the next job a little faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in