Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ExpressVu Satellite Dish pulling brick out

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ScaryBob 
#1 ·
The Bell ExpressVu Satellite dish has been installed on my brick wall for close to 8 years. Last year, I was getting really bad reception. The brick that the satellite bracket is attached to has broken away from the mortar. I had someone fix it (remove the old mortar, put in new mortar) but that only lasted, maybe 6 months tops. I am back in the same situation. The back wall of my house is vinyl siding for the 2nd floor followed by brick for the first floor. The satellite bracket is attached to the top brick. The vinyl siding immediately begins above the top brick.
Right now, I have the disk supported by a two by four (on an angle) but would like to find a permanent solution to this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can reattach the satellite dish or add additional support on the brick wall or ?

#2 ·
Unless I am wrong last time I checked you mount to the brick itself and never into the mortar joints because this issue will always occur. Repair the current damage and try and relocate the dish to a portion that isn't weakened and drills holes into the the brick itself and reattach, hopefully that helps!

#9 ·
The top brick is the worse place to mount a dish because it has no bricks above it to provide support. I would move the dish down several rows. Spanning two bricks vertically may be more secure. If the mortar is weak or deteriorated, it may be necessary repoint or inject extra mortar to provide more strength.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.