Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Signal issues

32K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  rogue17 
#1 ·
Hey,

I've got a Bell Expressvu box and all I did was unplug it, detach the cables, and move it to the other side of the room and now I can't get a signal on it. I didn't harm it in any way and it's telling me that there is no switch box detected, or signal strength. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Abat1984
You did not state what Model receiver you have.
I'm going to guess it's a Model 6100.
These units were discontinued last October 23rd.
I've seen your exact same problem happen at two customers
Homes.
If it is a 6100 call Bell and have them send you a new 6131
ASAP.
THey are slowly replacing the 6100's with 6131's

#6 ·
lost satellite signal

I just received the new 6131 receiver and it was working fine for about a month, then all of a sudden I have completely lost my satellite signal, or it just flickers on and off. I am not able to check what may be the matter as I cannot even get into the menu. I have tried resetting and that doesnt work either. Please help

#7 ·
If you can't see the Menu you should just call Bell and get the receiver swapped, unless you can try a different Input on the TV, to see if that helps.

#8 ·
Got a 3100 that is experiencing some problems.

I am using 2 LNBs with a SW-21

I did a check switch and it is says ok on 91 and 82 but I get no signal on 14 transponders. The signal comes and goes on these transponders. Sometimes I get no signal on 3-4 transponders.

I think it is a problem with the SW-21. But someone told me it could be a problem with the receiver's tuner. Can it be the LNB itself?

#10 ·
Not only is 82 all HD at the moment but it is also using 8PSK on all but 4 transponders and a 3100 cannot decode 8PSK, so you will not see those at all. This is the same for all SD Receivers.

An HD Receiver will see all Transponders.

#11 ·
A few years ago there were a few SD channels on sat 82 so that is why i installed the second LNB and SW-21.

Now Bell has all the SD channels on sat 91.This I know.

But now I have many channels that give me error 002.Your satellite signal is tempoorarily unavailable. And it is not caused by weather.

When I check system info the status of sat 91 and 82 is good.

When I check the dish signal Bell TV 91 and go through the 32 transponders I get no signal
On as many as 14 transponders.

Is this a problem with the receiver, Sw-21 or LNB?

#12 ·
Well first thing to do is remove the SW21, then see if the problem has gone away, if it is fixed, it was the SW21 or the cables connectors associated with it. If not, swap over the LNBF's, they are identical. See where that leads you.

#14 ·
To Pinza,

When I first lost the transponders, as many as 14(always the same transponders) I thought it was because Bell was doing something on their system. I gradually lose transponders up to 14 of them then gradually get them back. This happens sometimes during the year. It happened now and last Autumn.

Then I thought it was the RG8 cable but that was changed recently. So I began thinking it could be the SW-21 or the receiver had a faulty tuner.

A couple of days ago I noticed all my transponder were back except for 3 of them. 9-11-17.

Then I read the following post by Pinza.

They are compressing more and more and using a method of compression on the fly.

They just switched off 3 Transponders on 91 (SD Channels) and it did not affect customers so that tells me that they could add whack of SD or HD Channels right now if they chose to.
This got me thinking that my receiver may have been affected by what Bell is doing.

And the following post where you answered me

@ rogue17, "We are performing maintenance and as a result, transponders 9, 11, and 17 at 91 will not carry signal until April 12".
Pinza are their receiver models that are more prone to be affected by maintenance or is it just that odd receiver regardless of model type that can be affected.

I think my receiver is sensitive to what Bell does wheter it is adding/removing/moving channels or maintenance. At some point at I thought it could be a Sw-21 problem but like I said a few posts up it says OK on both birds on sys info.

#15 ·
If Bell take down 3 Transponders, which is what they have done, it affects everyone in Canada.

If you do not need the SW21, remove it, it is just another point of failure.

#16 ·
Ok thanks,:D

Right now the SW-21 is useless given that I am using a 3100. But awhile back ( 4 years ago) I added the 2nd LNB and SW-21 because there were (SD)channels on Sat 82 and also I wanted to be able to upgrade to a 6131 if needed in the future.

Now I know how my receiver reacts to these changes that Bell does and won't change the hardware unless necessary.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.