DPP (Dish Pro Plus) Bell TV Installs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

DPP (Dish Pro Plus) Bell TV Installs

Since October 23, 2011 has passed, and we have been waiting for the exact news of what’s going with DPP Quad LNBF’s and the anticipated DPP44 on Bell TV (Officially) This will be the thread to cover those new installation methods which will simplify installers and home users installations.

I have done numerous custom installs for Bell TV customers who only had single cable runs to there rooms and had multiple dual tuner receivers in there home. So lets jump right in!

First commonly asked question about Dual Tuners Receiver’s by many is if it can be hooked up using only one of the tuners. The answer to that is NO! If you try to do so, you will run into problems, such as events not recording loss of Tuner 2 functionality. The bottom line is you have to use both inputs on ANY DUAL TUNER for it to function correctly!

Another common question is this “Is my Bell TV Satellite receiver(s) compliant with DPP (Dish Pro Plus)? Well the answer is YES! All Bell TV Receivers support DPP functionality with some CRTITCAL EXCEPTIONS and the list below will break it down,

DPP Compliant Models: 9242, 9241, 9200, 6400, 6141, 6131, 6100, 5200, 5900, 5800, 5100, 4100, 3200, and 3100

Legacy SD Models: 6000, 4700(C), 4500, 3700, 3500, 2700 and 1000 (Will not work with DPP ALONE!!!)

*A note about Legacy SD Models: You must have at least ONE Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus compliant receiver from the “DPP Compliant Models” list connected inline with any DPP hardware for any of the Legacy SD models to function and operate correctly with a Dish Pro Plus Install!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of all the hardware to be used in Dish Pro Plus installations,

(Big Thanks to JoeLouie for these Pictures!!!)

Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF:

DPP Quad on the left and DPP Twin on the right

DPP Quad on the left and DPP Twin on the right notice the change in logo types between the two, this was done to easily distinguish them apart so installers know which is which quickly and easily

DPP Quad outputs close up showing its 4 outputs for 4 single or 4 dual tuner receivers (with separators) or it can be also hooked up to 2 DPP44 switches
post #3 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Dish Pro Plus Separator:

post #4 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Dish Pro Plus 44 Switch (DPP44) comes in three variations so all include all three pictures, and the power inserter:

Silver Version DPP44 (not usable as a Ground Block)

Grey Version DPP44 with heat fins (Suitable for Grounding)

Newer Style Grey Version DPP (Suitable for Grounding)

Power Inserter Required for the DPP44
post #5 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quick Overview of the DPP44 Switch:
- Four Satellite inputs for 4 Orbital Locations (Bell only needs 2) (allows for expansion if need be)
- Four Satellite receiver outputs for any four dual tuner receivers or single tuner receivers
- Four (To Additional Switch) outputs for connection to another 2 DPP44 switch’s for a maximum of 3 DPP44 cascaded together for either 12 single tuner receivers or 12 dual tuner receivers with DPP Separators inline with the installation (Picture shown below)

post #6 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Example #1- Installing less than 4 Dual Tuner receiver(s) with the DPP Quad LNBF.
To complete this installation you will need the following items.
-Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF
-Dish Pro Plus Separators for the # of required Dual Tuner receivers being used in the house hold.

Your install of any 4 dual tuner receivers will look like this,

============================================================ ==========================

Example #2- Installing less than 2 Dual Tuner receiver(s) and 2 Single Tuner receiver(s) with the DPP Quad LNBF.
-Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF
-Dish Pro Plus Separators for the # of required Dual Tuner receivers being used in the house hold

Your install should look like the installation similar to the picture below depending on how many receivers are Dual Tuners or Single Tuners.

============================================================ ==========================

Example #3- Installing less than 6 Dual Tuner receiver(s) with Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF and Dish Pro Plus 44 (DPP44)
-Dish Pro Plus 44 (DPP44) Switch
-Dish Pro Plus 44 (DPP44) Power Inserter
-Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF
-Dish Pro Plus Separators for the # of required Dual Tuner receivers being used in the house hold

Your install should look like the installation similar to the picture below depending on how many receivers are Dual Tuners or Single Tuners.

Example #4- Installing less than 4 Dual Tuner receiver(s) and 2 Single Tuner receiver(s) with Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF and Dish Pro Plus 44 (DPP44)
-Dish Pro Plus 44 (DPP44) Switch
-Dish Pro Plus 44 (DPP44) Power Inserter
-Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF

post #7 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

If anyone thinks I have missed anything, or wants to add or edit something in, please reply to this thread and we will add and/or edit it in, Thanks!
post #8 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 09:15 PM

Port 1 on the DPP LNB, needs to feed Port 1 on the DPP44, and the same for port 2. If you have it reversed, you will only receiver odd for 82, and it will show up as 82/91 instead of 91/82 on any HD receiver.

When you run a 'Check Switch', the number of tests is determined by the amount of satellite inputs. DPP Quad's will only test 2/2, DPP Twin will test 3/3, and DPP44 will test 4/4. If your receiver begins to count to 38, then something is wrong.

I can confirm that I have seen DPP Seperators, substituted with high frequency splitters, and it was operational. I can upload a photo if anyone is curious.

Also; play it safe, and make sure thst your satellite feed is plugged in before powering the receiver.

P.S. Nice work, m3repair.

Everything
post #9 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Costa, I am going to re-work those images when I get the chance later tonight, you make a good point about how they should be connected, Why didn't I notice that earlier though is odd.
post #10 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Port 1 on the DPP LNB, needs to feed Port 1 on the DPP44, and the same for port 2. If you have it reversed, you will only receiver odd for 82, and it will show up as 82/91 instead of 91/82 on any HD receiver.

Not true. If you have them reversed it will work no different than if you have 91/82 reversed on an SW44 or SW21. I've seen this many times, with no issues.

When you run a 'Check Switch', the number of tests is determined by the amount of satellite inputs. DPP Quad's will only test 2/2, DPP Twin will test 3/3, and DPP44 will test 4/4. If your receiver begins to count to 38, then something is wrong.

True, although older receivers (2700 for example) will still go through 38 tests even with DPP44 (and maybe DPP Twin and Quad, I don't remember)
Fixed.
post #11 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 06:26 PM

JouLouie, I understand what you're saying about the 91/82 for the legacy SW hardware, and I agree. But, for DPP, it's different. It will NOT work in the same manor. Example, A 4100 will only see 82 odd and 91 all. If you plug them in correctly, it'll show up as 91 all and 82 all.

Yeah, 38 check for a 2700 is correct. Also; 2700 will show the switch as SCD-2P3, what you normally see for MDU.

Everything
post #12 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

If it makes a difference my next part of the project is to run check switch's on all the different types of receivers, if it truly matters I will for sure take a picture of that image with the messed up check switch, I haven't gotten this entire thread done yet but I will be done hopefully tomorrow if not late Monday. Anything else I should add besides what has been mentioned above in this thread?
post #13 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
JouLouie, I understand what you're saying about the 91/82 for the legacy SW hardware, and I agree. But, for DPP, it's different. It will NOT work in the same manor. Example, A 4100 will only see 82 odd and 91 all. If you plug them in correctly, it'll show up as 91 all and 82 all.
I've never noticed any issues with reversing 91/82 on a DPP44. I'll have to check it out next time I install one.

Anybody else ever notice this? or better yet, anybody with a DPP44 want to try it
post #14 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-12, 05:45 AM
Veteran

I had problems with a 3100. Could only get even transponders on 91. Now I know why.
post #15 of 376 (permalink) Old 2012-02-12, 10:28 AM

DPP Quads might work fine on the DPP44, but the DPP Twins definitely need to be plugged in 1 to 1 and 2 to 2. I did a test last night, using a 3100, DPP Quad and DPP44. Results appeared as 82 all, and 91 all. I swapped them,and got it reversed properly, using ports 1 and 2.

Also, on the outputs of the DPP LNB, you see them marked with a number on the top left side.

Everything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.