Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

iPod Classic discontinued

11K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  DSgamby 
#1 ·
Yes, my fears have come true. Apple is discontinuing making the iPod Classic. Don't don't know what I'll be able to do with my music collection if my player becomes irreparable since it's so large. I've complained to Apple, but I don't know what good that will do. I feel like the little guy is getting shafted again.

#4 ·
The classic (I have the 30Gb older one) and the newer ones have no WiFi or other wireless connection. Yes, you can back them up, but if the device is discontinued, what do you then put it on with the capacities the classics have?

Not a great move Apple... I hadn't thought of replacing mine yet, but with the battery loosing capacity, it's getting tenuous...

Cameron

#6 ·
Interesting question: get a classic before they vanish or wait for the Pono...

I have absolutely no interest in a portable streaming device and leaving all that music on the PC...

Cameron

#7 ·
I own a 160 GB Classic. That thing goes back to 2007 and plays darn nice sitting on the Bose Soundock 10. Looks and works just like new. Really well built little piece of electronics and I would not part with it as the FM radio (option) has come in handy on more than one occasion.

As for Camron's comment on streaming well, I run the Serve-To-Me/Stream-to-Me serptup on an iPhone and let me tell you that the ability to search through 37000 tracks stored on a drive at home by entering just a few characters in a search field is nothing short of a bliss to me. Of course this requires you to be in a solid LTE connection because that thing doesn't buffer much and audio quality is dynamically reduced to unberable bit rates over little signal loss.

#12 ·
Google Play can cache songs on your phone. You can either download the music you want for a long "offline period" to your device, and stuff you've recently listened to is cached.

The best part is that when you do have network connectivity, loading that music onto your device is so easy. Just search for what you want, and download it. It's much less effort than connecting your device to your computer and copying over the content you want. And it's the same process whether the music is from your own MP3 "locker" or if it's music you're getting from your Google Play subscription.

#16 ·
To be honest I only use iCloud for photos and iOS backups - for my wife's phone and for our iPads. But it makes that functionality very simple.

My phone is a corporate issue and we aren't allowed to use iCloud and our MDM software doesn't allow you to even if you tried.

#17 ·
I still have mine (old model), it was really low quality I had to rebuild it twice and it is still broken. It was, however, unbelievable at the time.

My iPod from 2005 also broke earlier this year after years of minimal use. Very disappointed by Apple because it was very expensive back then, I paid my 2nd generation close to $700 back in 2002.

#18 ·
I know what you mean. Shame on Apple for not making their products last 20+ years. :rolleyes

I paid over $1200 for a first gen VCR when they came out. I guess I should have been mad at the manufacturer for not making it to last 20 years. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Aside from shortened battery life, my iPod Classic 30Gb is in excellent condition.

I inherited an iPod Nano 8Gb with very little usage. Works well except once in a while it kills it's battery when turned off... never found the cause and it's random...

Inherited an iPod Mini. Excellent condition but battery is toast.

Inherited an iPod Touch 8Gb from someone who attempted a jailbreak and couldn't get it to work at all or with iTunes. I revived it, it works great.

But yeah, the 160Gb Classic would have been great to get.

Now keeping an eye on what happens with the Pono and other SD card solutions out there, especially ones that play .ogg files. :)

Cameron

#20 ·
I also have a 30GB iPod that I got for free from TD Bank. I used it for "listening" to videos, but the battery life became a problem. I ended up replacing it with another brand that a relative won in a draw and gave me a couple of years ago.

I recently picked up an external USB battery for under $10 that I use with my new player to extend the video play time past 2 hours. It works well, but I'll give it the ultimate test this winter when I'm skating up and down the river in our famous Winnipeg weather. It's a cheap and easy solution if you don't mind the bulk of the little battery + the cable.

#25 ·
I agree that is a bad excuse. Even at severely lower volumes compared to a few years ago I still have to think this sells more than many other consumer electronic product.

What part would be hard to get? The mechanical hard drives? I would think pretty much everything else is a pretty standard product.

#26 ·
With a look at the Apple site, none of their iPods interest me now.

I'm surprised they didn't retool it with flash memory of, say, 160Gb or more.

With longer battery life, it still would have been a seller with more memory and being friendly to rough handling.

Cameron

#29 ·
I have no idea why anyone would pay that much when you can buy a new iPod Touch for less than that. For the last few years, I've done more TV watching while riding on trains and buses than at home after learning how to transfer recorded TV shows onto mine. It beats being able to listen only to music or the teenaged girl sitting near you yelling and giggling into her phone for the whole trip.

#30 ·
That's true for video, but many applictions don't require video or even a very large screen. The highest capacity iPod Touch is 64GB. Many of us have music libraries that are way bigger than that (the Classic is 160GB) and it is very convenient to be able to have your entire library with you at all times. And the iPod Classic can be controlled without looking at it - like when it is in your pocket.

IMHO the iPod Classic is great in your car, especially if your car has decent iDevice integration as you never look at the screen of the iPod as you select everything from the screen in your car.

Arguably a portable hard drive is an even better solution as you can get 2TB for $100. Or you could slap a 250GB SSD in a 2.5" enclosure. But I am not sure how well these work in terms of giving you a decent UI that makes it easy to find songs, rather than having to troll through a directory structure. Maybe an external hard drive paired with front end software on your phone (like Plex) would do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.