Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Using a Nook in Canada: My Take

94K views 71 replies 33 participants last post by  rainey 
#1 ·
To paraphrase Francis Church " ... yes Virginia, you can use a Barnes & Noble Nook in Canada."

I recently acquired a Nook to replace a Sony PRS-505. I also own a Kindle. The background on the Nook decision is relatively straightforward. The PRS-505 is a great reader, but feature limited. Primarily lacked connectivity, dictionary, and highlighting/annotating features. While the Kindle has all these, it is does not support ePub as a native format and has poor PDF handling (the update to 2.5.2 improves PDF handling somewhat). With ePub as the emerging standard used by most eBook merchants (including Kobo, Sony, and Barnes and Noble), I consider this a significant limitation on the Kindle. While conversion to an Amazon compatible format such as mobi is very possible with tools such as Calibre, there are three reasons why I prefer to have both a Kindle and a native ePub reader: conversion does produce strange formatting at times; ePub appears to be a superior format; and the tools necessary to load rights-protected content from non-Amazon sources onto a Kindle are soon to be considered illegal in Canada. While format shifting is currently, and will remain, legal ... the act of breaking a digital lock will become prohibited.

In looking at ePub readers, I considered the Kobo reader but ruled that out for the same limitation issues as the PRS-505. I also looked at the newer Sony models, but they use different screens from the 505 and the reviews and user feedback all point to more glare and less readability.

What attracted me to the Nook were three factors: the same basic eInk display approach that the PRS-505 and Kindle use which has outstanding readability; the Android OS which has been softrooted and has third-party apps; and the Wi-Fi connectivity.

So ... what does it take to use a Nook in Canada? Well, first ordering one. Two ways to do it are through Barnes & Noble, but you need to use a third-party shipper like Bongo or MyUS.com; or eBay. Once you get your Nook, you need to set up a B&N account (like you do with Amazon), connect your Nook to your WiFi network at home, and login to activate it. From there you can purchase content from B&N (more on that in a second) or "sideload" eBooks using either Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions. Sideloaded content appears as a separate library ("My Documents" instead of "My Books") which is a bit of an irritant. Fortunately, a soft-rooted Nook can take advantage of the "NookLauncher" and "NookLibrary" apps which substantially improve the user experience. I have loaded eBooks purchased from Kobo, Sony, and B&N without difficulty. It it's an ePub (or PDF) it's no problem. In other words, in terms of function as an eReader ... the Nook is completely usable and functional in Canada.

Where Amazon locks you substantially into their ecosystem, Sony and Kobo are the other extreme. They use simple ePub with standard Adobe DRM so that their content is readable and loadable on any reader that supports ePub. Barnes & Noble steer a course between Amazon and Kobo/Sony. Their device loads ePubs/PDF natively allowing you to load content acquired from most eBook retailers (except Amazon). However, Barnes & Noble use a different encryption scheme to wrap ePub files, so B&N content is locked to B&N readers (either software or Nook). Like all eBook formats, there are tools out there that restore full format shifting flexibility, but those tools are not necessarily something that everyone is comfortable with, especially with pending legislation change. As long as you have a Nook, you shouldn't be concerned with this, but if you're next eReader is something different you should be aware that you may have an issue porting your library. This is also true of the Kindle. Amazon abandoned a previous eBook format and left users out in the cold. Microsoft did the same thing with PlaysForSure although they did back off partially in the face of major criticism (although only to 2011). The worry about abandoned formats is not an idle concern and one cannot assume that Amazon or B&N will always do the right thing ... they haven't in the past and there is not guarantee that they'll always be a thriving concern and not a bankrupt one.

A couple of paragraphs above, I mentioned that I would add something about purchasing B&N content in Canada. Like with all eBook retailers, geographic restrictions are an issue. From my observation, B&N has very few books that it has secured retailing rights for Canada. It isn't that big an issue in that B&N's pricing is not usually better than Kobo, Sony, or Amazon. That said, like with Amazon, there is a workaround for these geographic restrictions.

Last thing is the actual usability of the Nook. The eInk display is outstanding. The stock fonts are much better than the Kindle's making for a better reading experience. To get the same experience from the Kindle, you need to use a font hack which gets broken with every software update from Amazon. Page turning speed is identical. Instead of a keypad like the Kindle, the Nook has a small LCD touch screen occupying the bottom portion of the device. I find the Amazon dictionary better and easier to use. I find the navigation on the Nook (especially using NookLauncher and NookLibrary) to be superior to both the Kindle and the PRS-505. Battery life is a little shorter than a pure eInk device because of the LCD display.

The Nook is extremely comfortable to hold (as is the Kindle). The Kindle has the worst hard button layout of the three eReaders I've owned. The Nook is probably the best, but it has the advantage of not needing hardware buttons for functions that are easily managed from the touch screen.

The Nook is a little buggy still but B&N have delivered several firmware updates with more on the way that improve the reader with every iteration. All in all, I like the Nook. I find I am preferring it to the Kindle right now so much more of my book purchasing is at Kobo instead of Amazon. Once I get a longer view of the Nook, I'll probably update this thread with more specific "review" like thoughts.

See less See more
#55 ·
thank you

....perfect so that gives me the news I want then that I can buy this nook when I'm in the US and download everything else onto my PC and upload it to my ereader and then for B&N like you mentioned if I want to buy anything from there I'd wifi it...I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be wasting my money if I brought it back and it didn't work, thanks so much!

#56 ·
Magazines in Canada?

Hi...I'm thinking of purchasing the new Nook touch and using it in Canada. Do the same geographic restrictions placed on books also apply to magazines? Has anyone tried reading some B&N magazines on Nook in Canada? I assume new issues come directly over the wi-fi (as opposed to downloading/sideloading)...or, what if, I want to download a new issue. How does this work in Canada? Thanks!!

#59 ·
For anyone coming new to this thread: you STILL cannot, as of Sep 3 2011, buy a Nook Touch ($139) or a Nook Color ($249) from Barnes and Noble and have them ship it to you in Canada. They do not support the device outside of the US (warranty, for example).

Nook Books use a special flavour of Adobe's DRM which embeds your name and credit card on file in each book which the Nook ereader unlocks when you open the ebook on a Nook or a Nook app such as on your PC. Virtually all content purchased from B&N's Nook store is locked in this fashion.

If you wish to use any Nook book in future on a Sony or Kobo ereader -- which also use Adobe ADE but the key is an email address as opposed to your credit card number -- you will have to either open ONLY Nook books on the Kobo or ONLY Sony / Kobo books because a device can only be registered with ONE Adobe key at a time.

There has been a change to the books available from B&N since early summer in that a vast number can now be sold to Canadians -- using Nook's unique Adobe DRM credit card scheme. This is great news because we finally get a decent alternative to kobobooks (which is excellent for the most part) and Sony's ereader store (which for Canadians is less than excellent).

As has been pointed out, newpapers and magazines from Nook don't open in Canada.

Until B&N decides it actually wants Canadian customers, the choice is to go through hoops to purchase the Nook and manage dual Adobe DRM schemes to buy content. As soon as you register that Nook with Adobe to easily open books from B&N, you can't open anything from Sony or Kobo (without degistering the Nook, reregistering the Nook, and opening the Kobo ebook).

Or you can get round some of this (not warranty protection for the Nook which again is not sold or supported in Canada) by breaking / removing DRM and manage all your epub books in Calibre.

It might be a tad simpler to consider the Kobo Touch which allows Canadians to buy the device, get a warranty and purchase books over wifi.

#60 ·
I just received my nook simple touch to use in Canada...and I am THOROUGHLY CONFUSED!

Some posts are saying it's easy to read (e.g. Kobo) content on nook and others, like the previous one, describe some weird work-around. I guess I just want to know which stores have the most content and how such content can be transferred to the Nook.

It seems using Kobo or Sony is best for downloading books onto my laptop. Then it is simply not clear how this content then goes onto the nook. Can I use calibre? Do I need some work-around? Do I need ADE and does this come bundled with Kobo's downloader? Can I bring library books onto the nook without a workaround?

I'm just looking for a large store and then a simple way of sideloading these books and, paticularly, magazines, from a computer onto the nook!

#61 ·
Thank you Johnnycanuck

Hi,
I would like to thank Johnnycanuck for his excellent write up the Nook. I have been looking to buy my daughter an ereader for her birthday in Jan. and was leaning towards the Kindle until i came apon the Nook.Thanks to Johnnycanucks write up i have made up my mind to get the B&N Nook.
I don't really understand how to get books from other companys like Chapters,Googleboks....etc, but i'm sure we will figure it out when i buy it for her.
Thanks Again Johnnycanuck

Signed, cokecola

#62 ·
Using Nook in Canada

I am new to this forum but wanted to share my experience with using the Nook in Canada. I had a lot of questions as well before I ended up purchasing one. I was vacationing in the US in Nov 2011 and purchased the Nook Simple Touch in a B&N store. I also registered it while in the US. The only problem I encountered was that I couldn't complete registration on the device - I had to go to the B&N website and set up an account from there (probably because my card and billing address are in Canada). Once I was set up on my computer with my Canadian credit card and billing address, I was able to sign into my account on the Nook itself. So far I have only purchased books from the B&N shop using the Nook and I have not had problems. I have purchased while I was in both the US and Canada. I have even purchased from Kobo books in Canada and been able to put the book on my Nook. Because it's a different type of DRM than the Nook books, I had to first load the book into Adobe Digital Editions on my computer and then load it via USB to the Nook. It was slightly inconvenient, but not a huge problem, especially if I can get books at a better price that way.

Overall, very satisfied with the Nook and recommend it to anyone looking for a native ePub reader. It is fully functional in Canada. Canadians will however, still have to go to the US to buy it.

#63 ·
It seems as though there has been a change in the ebooks Barnes and Noble is allowing to be sold in Canada. Up until Nov 2011, I had been able to buy Nook books while in Canada and using a Canadian billing address and credit card. Now, when I try to purchase something, I get a message that I must have a US billing address. Almost all their books seem to have this description: "Items ship to U.S, APO/FPO and U.S. Protectorate addresses." I have even noticed this message on items I have previously been able to purchase. So it appears as though something has changed, but I am not sure what. It is possibly the publishers have pulled the rights for B&N to sell outside of the US. Overall, I am still happy with the Nook, but I now have to buy my books elsewhere. If you were looking for the ability to purchase books directly with your device, and you live in Canada, the Nook is no longer for you.

#64 ·
Was trying to solve the above problem and it appears that all you need is to update your account info with a US billing and shipping address. This doesn't have to be your address or the address used for your Canadian credit card since they don't check this. Just grab one from somewhere. I used one belonging to a US relative, but I'm sure you could just use any random one for it to work. Works fine now and I can purchase books again.

#69 ·
I am so glad to see this forum! I've had a nook for a year now and just love it! I ordered it via my sister in the us and so have had no trouble at all downloading books or anything else! I haven't done any library books and will
look forward to hearing how to go about that, I'm not terribly savy when in comes to this stuff. But I will say, I have had an easy time using it! I love the apps, the highlighting and such, i would recommend it to anyone! Very nice to hear all the information from everyone and I really appreciate the Moderator! Thanks so much for the help. I am going to try to download from
some other company tonight! wish me luck:) Haven't tried that before.

#70 · (Edited)
shopereader.com experience

[I am quite late for Kevin7m. I am posting my experience for others.]

They were very prompt to reply and sent the reader fast. Probably they do not have too many customers. Someone contacted me by phone to confirm the order.

I had ordered new iriver story hd. After a few days I realized that the battery does not last as long as my much older ereaders (pocketbook 602, 902, and kindle 3). I am not sure it it was just an old unsold ereader, or if it was used.

I looked at the address of the company. It is a residential house in Vancouver.

I could not find any reviews of their store on the internet. In fact there is no helpful content. I decided to post my experience and opinion here.

#71 ·
Ereader

I am in the process of purchasing my first ereader, I have no idea which one to choose?? I want it to just read and nothing more, but I want something that is easy to use and easy to purchase books. my top 2 choices are the Sony and the Kindle, I also like the Nook but like the Kindle I am concerned about the fact that I am in Canada.

#72 ·
I have had a nook for 3 years and love it. I purchased a Kobo for my Mom and prefer my nook. I set up my account with a us address and am able to purchase nook books with no issues. It also has the ability through adobe digital to transfer books purchased from other companies like Kobo, I am not sure if the Kindle allows this or if you can only purchase from their site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.