Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Using a Nook in Canada: My Take

94K views 71 replies 33 participants last post by  rainey 
#1 ·
To paraphrase Francis Church " ... yes Virginia, you can use a Barnes & Noble Nook in Canada."

I recently acquired a Nook to replace a Sony PRS-505. I also own a Kindle. The background on the Nook decision is relatively straightforward. The PRS-505 is a great reader, but feature limited. Primarily lacked connectivity, dictionary, and highlighting/annotating features. While the Kindle has all these, it is does not support ePub as a native format and has poor PDF handling (the update to 2.5.2 improves PDF handling somewhat). With ePub as the emerging standard used by most eBook merchants (including Kobo, Sony, and Barnes and Noble), I consider this a significant limitation on the Kindle. While conversion to an Amazon compatible format such as mobi is very possible with tools such as Calibre, there are three reasons why I prefer to have both a Kindle and a native ePub reader: conversion does produce strange formatting at times; ePub appears to be a superior format; and the tools necessary to load rights-protected content from non-Amazon sources onto a Kindle are soon to be considered illegal in Canada. While format shifting is currently, and will remain, legal ... the act of breaking a digital lock will become prohibited.

In looking at ePub readers, I considered the Kobo reader but ruled that out for the same limitation issues as the PRS-505. I also looked at the newer Sony models, but they use different screens from the 505 and the reviews and user feedback all point to more glare and less readability.

What attracted me to the Nook were three factors: the same basic eInk display approach that the PRS-505 and Kindle use which has outstanding readability; the Android OS which has been softrooted and has third-party apps; and the Wi-Fi connectivity.

So ... what does it take to use a Nook in Canada? Well, first ordering one. Two ways to do it are through Barnes & Noble, but you need to use a third-party shipper like Bongo or MyUS.com; or eBay. Once you get your Nook, you need to set up a B&N account (like you do with Amazon), connect your Nook to your WiFi network at home, and login to activate it. From there you can purchase content from B&N (more on that in a second) or "sideload" eBooks using either Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions. Sideloaded content appears as a separate library ("My Documents" instead of "My Books") which is a bit of an irritant. Fortunately, a soft-rooted Nook can take advantage of the "NookLauncher" and "NookLibrary" apps which substantially improve the user experience. I have loaded eBooks purchased from Kobo, Sony, and B&N without difficulty. It it's an ePub (or PDF) it's no problem. In other words, in terms of function as an eReader ... the Nook is completely usable and functional in Canada.

Where Amazon locks you substantially into their ecosystem, Sony and Kobo are the other extreme. They use simple ePub with standard Adobe DRM so that their content is readable and loadable on any reader that supports ePub. Barnes & Noble steer a course between Amazon and Kobo/Sony. Their device loads ePubs/PDF natively allowing you to load content acquired from most eBook retailers (except Amazon). However, Barnes & Noble use a different encryption scheme to wrap ePub files, so B&N content is locked to B&N readers (either software or Nook). Like all eBook formats, there are tools out there that restore full format shifting flexibility, but those tools are not necessarily something that everyone is comfortable with, especially with pending legislation change. As long as you have a Nook, you shouldn't be concerned with this, but if you're next eReader is something different you should be aware that you may have an issue porting your library. This is also true of the Kindle. Amazon abandoned a previous eBook format and left users out in the cold. Microsoft did the same thing with PlaysForSure although they did back off partially in the face of major criticism (although only to 2011). The worry about abandoned formats is not an idle concern and one cannot assume that Amazon or B&N will always do the right thing ... they haven't in the past and there is not guarantee that they'll always be a thriving concern and not a bankrupt one.

A couple of paragraphs above, I mentioned that I would add something about purchasing B&N content in Canada. Like with all eBook retailers, geographic restrictions are an issue. From my observation, B&N has very few books that it has secured retailing rights for Canada. It isn't that big an issue in that B&N's pricing is not usually better than Kobo, Sony, or Amazon. That said, like with Amazon, there is a workaround for these geographic restrictions.

Last thing is the actual usability of the Nook. The eInk display is outstanding. The stock fonts are much better than the Kindle's making for a better reading experience. To get the same experience from the Kindle, you need to use a font hack which gets broken with every software update from Amazon. Page turning speed is identical. Instead of a keypad like the Kindle, the Nook has a small LCD touch screen occupying the bottom portion of the device. I find the Amazon dictionary better and easier to use. I find the navigation on the Nook (especially using NookLauncher and NookLibrary) to be superior to both the Kindle and the PRS-505. Battery life is a little shorter than a pure eInk device because of the LCD display.

The Nook is extremely comfortable to hold (as is the Kindle). The Kindle has the worst hard button layout of the three eReaders I've owned. The Nook is probably the best, but it has the advantage of not needing hardware buttons for functions that are easily managed from the touch screen.

The Nook is a little buggy still but B&N have delivered several firmware updates with more on the way that improve the reader with every iteration. All in all, I like the Nook. I find I am preferring it to the Kindle right now so much more of my book purchasing is at Kobo instead of Amazon. Once I get a longer view of the Nook, I'll probably update this thread with more specific "review" like thoughts.

See less See more
#28 ·
I ended up getting the Nook wi-fi for my wife for Christmas. Spent a little bit of time today setting it up for her and playing around with it. Some observations and questions:

- it looks much more attractive in real life than in photos;
- you need to set up a B & N account online with a credit card and billing address, and then register the Nook from the device. I had thought the credit card and billing address was registered on the device via wi-fi;
- the on/off procedure is a little clunky, IMO, in that it takes a fairly long time to boot up and shut off. You would press the power button and wait...and wonder...is it coming on? is it working? is it off, or in sleep mode? etc, etc. Maybe just takes time to get used to it.
- the interplay between the touch screen and the display will take a little getting used to, especially when browsing the web. I would not recommend this device if you need to browse the web a lot. The e-ink refreshening is just not conducive to web browsing.

And...
- perhaps my biggest initial concern/disappointment...the display seems too dim. Perhaps I'm just too used to reading from a computer LCD screen. Is there a way to increase screen brightness? I couldn't find anything under Settings. I tried the auto adjustment on/off, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

#32 ·
I am contemplating buying the Nook while here in the US for a few months. I have a US address and credit card.

When I am back in Canada should I expect any problems using the Nook or buying books from B&N?
I bought a Nook for my wife for Christmas, and so far she has not had any problem using it in Canada. She hasn't bought any ebook from B & N yet, but she has bought a couple of books from Kobo. She said if wi-fi is enabled, there are some free stuff that gets downloaded from B & N automatically. I haven't really checked it out in great detail, but I've since disconnected the wi-fi to enhance battery life.

#33 ·
I have some questions regarding using Adobe Digital Edition to sideload content to the Nook. From what I have experienced so far in the short time we've had the Nook, ADE will not automatically sync with the Nook when you connect it to your pc via usb. So far I have had to manually drag and drop contents from the Library into the Nook icon.

Also it doesn't appear you can create sub-folders within ADE. You have to do that via Windows' file management. And if you want to store the ebooks on the micro-sd memory card rather than internal memory, you'd have to do that manually, again using Windows file management function.

Even though, on the Nook, you access your sideloaded content in "My Document" icon on the bottom color touchscreen, it appears that's not where the contents actually reside, because when I open up the My Document folder using Windows' file management, the folder is empty. Is "My Document' on the Nook merely a playlist, so to speak?

I'm just wondering if I'm using ADE properly?

#34 ·
Using the Nook in Canada

Thanks GSMfan for that reply.

I probably will use the Nook primarily to download from the local libraries in both countries and after reading your comments about ADE not in sync with the Nook am wondering if I should just wait and buy the Kobo when I return home.

Would prefer the Nook as everything I have read about it sounds like it's a superior product to the Kobo.

#37 ·
Thanks GSMfan for that reply.

I probably will use the Nook primarily to download from the local libraries in both countries and after reading your comments about ADE not in sync with the Nook am wondering if I should just wait and buy the Kobo when I return home.

Would prefer the Nook as everything I have read about it sounds like it's a superior product to the Kobo.
It also might be that I'm not using ADE correctly, or haven't set things up properly. I might try Calibre since most users seem to like that over ADE.

#35 ·
Getting a Nook in Canada

I'm saving my pennies so that I can get a Nook Color and while I've been waiting I've been looking into the best way to purchase it from the states. Many people have suggested the postal forwarding idea and that was the method I was going to use until I found the website shopereaders.com. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Granted they add a $50.00 premium to the price but would it be worth it to not have to go through the extra step of a mail forwarding service? Looking for any feedback.

Thanx
Kevin

#36 ·
The Nook and Nook Color are definitely superior readers to the Kobo. They also are android based and the Nook Color is well on its way to being an Android tablet once rooted.

Not sure about the ADE issues. I don't use ADE at all. I use Sony's Reader software to download ePub files from Kobo or Sony and I solely use Calibre to manage content on my Nook. In other words, I never load an ePub file using ADE or Sony software but manage my entire library (whether I'm going to read it on my Nook or my Kindle) through Calibre.

#38 ·
First, thank you so much to everyone for their input. I have been researching what eReader would work best for me (I live in Edmonton) and this forum has been a help.

I am going to Florida next month so I planned to purchase one there but am not sure which one. I want something simple to use that I will mostly use for reading, and maybe play the odd game or surf the net. Initially I wanted a Kindle but decided the content available to Canadians through Amazon was too limited, and I didn't want to deal with trying to convert the format of books. I read too many negative reviews about the Kobo not working & being slow so I eliminated that one. I had read that the Nook was difficult to use in Canada so I thought the Sony was the only option left. Now I am reconsidering the Nook as the price of a Nook Colour isn't much more than a Sony Touch.

I am quite new to the eBook world & not that tech savvy so I would prefer something simple & easy to use. So far I have only purchased books from the Kobo site (which I have read on my MacBook). I will most likely continue to do so & have no problem transferring the books over via my computer. However, the few books I have are stored in Adobe Digital Editions, and based on the previous post about it not syncing with the Nook, I'm wondering if there is a better way to store the books.

If anyone has any advice for me as to whether or not the Nook would be a good choice for me, if the Nook will be more than I need, if a different reader would be better, the best method to store eBooks, etc I would really appreciate it!! :D

#39 ·
You need ADE (or an ADE authorized software package like Sony's Reader Store) to handle ePub files you download to your PC. I use the Sony software but ADE's fine for that purpose. What happens when you buy a book from Kobo, for example, is you can read it in any of their apps (iPhone/iTouch, iPad, Android, Blackberry, PC, Mac) or download the epub. The epub option downloads an .acsm file which is not the book but a keyfile that ADE's server will use to authorize and encrypt the download. Opening the .acsm file will in turn open your ADE front end (eg. ADE or Sony Reader) which will then download the book to your PC and store the actual .epub file.

Since I have a Nook, a Kindle, and an Android tablet that I use at various times I want only one library management tool for my various ebooks (regardless of format). I use calibre and import ebooks into it by simply pointing calibre to the directory that my ebook has been downloaded to (eg. "My Books" or "My Kindle Content"). Calibre itself can be then used to manage the content on any eReader (including my tablet).

None of that deals with DRM. Calibre cannot view files with DRM but can still manage them effectively.

#40 ·
Alberta Girl: JohnnyCanuck would be much more qualified to comment on which eReader is best, since he owns several. I've only had limited experience with the Nook. From a functional point of view, the Nook works well enough. Under proper lighting, the e-ink readability is very good, the page-turn is quick, you can do some light web-browsing, there are some games on it, and you can listen to music. The touch screen at the bottom takes a little getting used to, but it's not a big issue.

I guess my only issue with it is that I find the software/file management not entirely intuitive, as I mentioned earlier. We signed up on the Kobo e-store, and there was a Kobo app downloaded, and then the ADE. The 2 apps seem to have some overlapping functions, so I just find the interplay and inter-relation of the 2 apps somewhat confusing, at this time. It took us a little while to figure out that only the keyfile is downloaded initially. It's only when you click on it that the entire ebook is downloaded. (We're novice!) And I had expected the ADE would auto-sync when the Nook is connected, much like Zune does with my Zune MP3 player. But that doesn't appear to be the case. There's not even a cut and paste menu on ADE. I have to physically click and drag on an item to the Nook icon (when plugged in, the Nook does show up in ADE). I'm sure a lot of this is just due to my being not tech-savvy enough, especially since this is my first venture into the world of ebooks.

#41 ·
Nook is Simple in Canada

Nook is very simple to use in Canada!
- register with a credit card and Canadian billing address
-search for book(s) desired
-download a sample of book
-"Buy" book with one key stroke
- get message that book not available in Canada
Repeat for four other books with same result !

Tried to contact B & N via website and telephone. Either put on hold or get computer generated "non - answer" directing me to FAQs which do not apply.

Just my experience - not good. Hopefully not the same for all of us up here.

#44 ·
I have a couple more questions....

How do the prices/selection on the Barnes & Noble site compare to those that are Canadian based?

Also, can you read books that have DRM on a Nook? I thought I read somewhere on the internet that if the ePub format has a DRM associated with it (sorry if I have the lingo wrong...I'm a total newbie so not up to speed with the jargon) then you are not able to read it on the Nook. Is this correct? I'm just thinking of the books I have bought off Kobo & downloaded to my Mac using ADE...will those work on a Nook?

I did download Calibre & tried to import those books from ADE, but as you mentioned Johnny, I am not able to view them in Calibre because of the DRM & I'm not sure how I can get them into Calibre & be able to view them. Would it be easier to uninstall ADE & use something else like the Sony software to download them on my Mac then import to Calibre? Or do you need a Sony reader to get that software?

This is all so informative. No one I know has an eReader or knows anything about them so reading all this & having my questions answered is much appreciated! Thanks again :D

#45 ·
Calibre cannot view DRM titles. You can either strip the DRM (google is your friend) or use ADE or Sony's software to view. You should be able to load a DRM title bought from Kobo directly onto the Nook without stripping DRM.

You don't need a Sony Reader to use their store or their software.

#46 ·
Nook color in Canada and Europe

I am new to ereader and very glad to find this forum with all the members sharing their experiences with using Nook in Canada.

Since I travel a lot I am looking at an ereader, and lately Nook color seem to be a prefect solution which also acts as a tablet. I spend a lot of time in EU and started to get tired carrying my netbook. I am so happy when I discovered that Nook color is half of the price of Ipad. (After all, I only need the smallest device to read books and surf webs and reply emails)

Yet I still have some questions about purchasing copies of ebook in B&N. Many replies in the forum stated there were difficulties to buy nookbooks in B&N in Canada. Others stated it was ok if you have a US address as a billing address...Can anyone kindly walk me through the steps of purchase a nookbook?:eek:

I am looking at the investment since I will also move to Vienna Austria at the end of the year- does anyone have any suggestion for the right device I should choose?:confused:

Thanx.

#48 ·
I can't say how glad I am that I bought Nook Color - I rooted it and use it to the full potential. I purchased it with a Canadian VISA, and had it shipped to a friend's home in Florida. The shipping was completely free during holidays and UPS dropped it off the very next day. Now a caveat - you can't buy books or publications from the Nook store if you don't have US billing address. I guess they don't care about it that much when it comes to the expensive hardware ;) BUT...
After you root your NC, you can install Kindle for Android through the Android market, and then you can buy and read Kindle books! Also, if you spend $5 on RepliGo Reader app, you get a perfect PDF reader, with which you can do not only highlighted notes (default Nook's reader can do that too), but also freehand drawings and notes. Perfect for studying the documentation!

#49 ·
Are there any updates?

I have purchased a Kindle for my wife for her birthday but would like to be able to take advantage of the Vancouver Library lending of books. After reading all of the sites... i think a NOOK would be the answer. However, I'm wondering how easy it is to purchase now and if you still really need to play around with a false US address to be able to access all of the books.

#50 ·
Yes and no.

B&N has very few books that they have secured Canadian selling rights to. Therefore, to buy most of their content, you do need to have a US address on your account and may need to use a VPN service to download (download to PC and sideload if it won't download over WiFi because of a Canadian IP).

However, the Nook's native format is ePub. So you can buy books from place like Kobo and the Sony Reader store and load them on your Nook without any difficulty. We do have a chart here cross-referencing stores/formats/readers.

#51 ·
It's been 2 months since I took the plunge & bought my nook Color...and I've been really happy with it! I got it while on vacation in the states so I bought it at a Barnes & Noble store. I set up my B & N account using a US address, Canadian credit card & a gmail e-mail address while I was still in the states. Since I've been back in Canada I've purchased & downloaded several books & magazines from the B & N site using my nc without any problems. I haven't tried to purchase any on my computer though.

I had previously purchased many books from Kobobooks that I had saved on my laptop & I was able to side load those onto my nc. I had to do some online research to figure out how to be able to read those books on my nc though - I had to do something with Adobe Digital Editions to make it work, but it does. I have also been able to side load many free ebooks I've downloaded from various sites & I am able to view those on my nc too. The formatting is not as great as the books I've purchased, but I'm guessing this is just because they were not purchased from a traditional ebook site.

B & N recently released a software update for it & I had no problems downloading & updating the software either. Now I just have to decide whether or not I want to attempt to root it!

#52 ·
Thank you all for all the good information about the Nook!

Hi everybody, im new to this forum...learned alot by reading everybody's input!

Just a question:

I live in Canada...if i buy the Nook through B&N website and place shipping info as my Canadian address...will i be able to create/register a B&N account with my Nook using a US address so that i could purchase books (since they don't seem to verify cc addresses as someone mentioned above)?

Also, how much was the third party shipping for shipping to Canada? Im from Toronto...so either i order online and pay shipping or i drive down to buffalo, NY (2hr drive) to buy from an actual B&N store....

Thanks!

#53 ·
wanting a nook to be used in canada

Hi everyone..been doing tons of research...from what I need the NOOK COLOR appears to be the best, heading to the US in a week or two and really wanting to buy one..a friend just bought one and returned it worried about not being able to use it here in Canada...

Bottom line is from what I can see Johnny you say it can be used here in Canada. I'm thinking and perhaps you can confirm..if the books are downloadable from a pc to the nook why wouldn't anyone buy one? I'm not a big fan of downloading anything off of wi fi anyway..so I guess I just wanted to ask as I've seen the nook supports so many different versions of books, if I just download the book from the bookstores like B&N, etc...to my PC, that I'll be able to upload it to my NOOK. If I'm able to do all that then I dont see why more people are not buying the nook. ARe you able to confirm this for me before I got to buy it? I really would appreciate hearing back from you.
thanks...Shawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.