Review: Henrys Camera - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 11 37.93%
Somewhat Satisfied 7 24.14%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 2 6.90%
Extremely Dissatisfied 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: Henrys Camera

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Henrys Camera.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:
  • What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I've always been a fan of Henry's. The staff at all locations is very knowledgable, the product selection is very good and prices are competitive.

I'm extremely satisfied with the this company.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 09:19 AM

Great Experience

We spent hours browsing at Henry's, looking to buy a digital camera in 06'
The staff was always helpful, even though we were in there multiple times, never buying anything till around Christmas. No complaints here, and usually go back, to get accessories (new lens, tri-pod, etc...)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 02:31 PM

Bought my Canon digital camera at Henry's in early 2005. Staff is very professional and knowledgeable. Went back and bought my Mom a Nikon digital camera last Christmas and the salesman once again was very helpful. Henry's is highly recommended.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2009-06-15, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Headshots from Hell

My first (and last ) experience dealing with Henrys cameras and Headshots (their affiliate). I write this really to give fair warning to anyone who may think to deal with headshots to think twice and not waste their time.

This was my experience trying to buy a large format printer from headshots ($3299 plus tax).
1. I went to a demonstration at Henry's store to see IPF6100 Large format printer. I spoke at length to the General manager of Headshots in Toronto. He was knowledgeable about his product , however purchasing it was another story.

2. Headshots GM advised me the printer would be delivered to my home, and set up by their people. The printer weighs 150 lbs with stand, so this is not something you bring into the house by yourself.

3. I initially wanted the printer brought upstairs to my office, but after receving a quote of $212 Cdn + GST/PST to cover insurance, I declined and suggested they deliver as per the original deal (by their people, free) to my home, but instead, set up in my basement where damage to home was not at risk.

4. They reneged on that offer. Instead, they said I should contact Henry's in Missisauga and buy the printer from the store, that they would ship out to me.

5. I contacted the Manager of Henrys Mississauga, she said they do not ship these products because of liability (size of product and concern over health and safety of staff picking it up). She said instead, the printer would be shipped from the warehouse to the store, and that I could pick it up from there with my own people.

6. I said fine, but that I needed the printer delivered to the store before June 30 since I was away on vacation in July. I said I would give 10% now and balance on pick-up.

7. Henry's store manager stated she could not promise the product would be shipped before July 1st (that was on June 12, 2009), her official statement was "probably". She further stated if it arrived in the store after June 30th, and I did not pick it up in July, they would not hold it (I am away for 3 weeks on vacation in July).

8. I stated it was absurd that they offer a promotion which ended June 15, and not have any product. She stated they had the product in the warehouse in Vaughan. I asked why it would take more than 7 business days to move one printer from Vaughan to Mississauga. She was emphatic that it was take it or leave it and that if it didn't arrive by June 30, I could always drive out to the store and ask for my money back. I said forget it, that people don't set out to buy a product only to go back a week later and ask for their money back.

9. Now Monday the 15th, last day, I call the Canon rep in charge of these printers. I tell him the story, and that really, I just want to buy it, but want to know what it would cost to deliver to my home (garage) or to Mississauga store. He says he knows for a fact Mississauga has 4 printers in stock, but that he will call them and call me back in 10 minutes. Sure enough, he calls me back and states $126 to deliver to my garage at home, or I could pick-up in Mississauga store June 19th - drop dead date the 23rd.. I say fine. I will pick up at store. I then arrange with an independant driver to pick it up in Mississauga. He advises me to email Headshots to solidify the deal.

10. I contact Headshots by email, notifying them I want the product shipped to Mississauga and that I will pick up from there.

11. One hour later, I receive an email from the GM at Headshots stating they will not deliver to store. Now, if I want it, I must either pick it up at Vaughan (warehouse) or they will deliver to a place with a FOB (dock).
He asks me to call him to advise my intentions.

12. I call the GM back within 20 minutes at the number he provided, a salesman answers. Apparently, the GM is AWOL - but the salesman assures me he can help me. I explain all over again. I also tell him I have no "FOB" - that the driver is an independant, and that he is not an enterprise with a warehouse. I state this is absurd. Henry's website states the printer is in stock, delivery in 4 days. Where does it state they only deliver to a warehouse with a dock? The salesman offers to deliver to my home and set up in my basement for $45.00 stating he just did this for another client. I accept.

13. I email the salesman the terms of the deal, authorizing him to charge my Visa (20% deposit) conditional to the delivery conditions and dates ($45.00 delivered by June 23). He accepts and charges my Visa. Finally, done.

14. About 3 minutes later, Another salesman from Headshots calls me. He asks me all over again, to recite the deal. He states $45.00 is too cheap, that they did this for a customer who was around the corner. But this was further. I tell him this is really the Kevorkian method of Customer Service, that I presumed by tormenting me with continued calls, emails, and constant changes to terms and conditions, that I would just commit suicide and go away. He laughs. I tell him I'm quite sick of the treatment by headshots and Henry s but I also am not a Shylock, if this was made in error, I would offer $126 dollars to deliver to my basement as discussed by the Canon Rep. He reluctantly declines the offer, stating that yes indeed, they made the deal, they really should honour it.

15. I'm almost off the phone from this last person (6 in the life history now, and many hours later). And I get an email from Dean the GM at HeadShots. He states the deal is not acceptable, that he will only allow me to pick up at Vaughan to to a Dock or FOB.

16. I am now livid, tell the salesman who is still on the phone that this borders on abuse and that it must be karmic. I tell him to refund my money.

17. I email Dean (GM) and advise that I had no interest in dealing with such an incompetent company . He emails me back that it was essentially my fault for speaking to a salesman from his organization who had no authority to make that offer. I conclude that Headshots hires staff that are not deemed to be trustworthy and that Headshots management would prefer salesman from Headshots do not sell, or speak on the phone to customers since by his statement, salesman don't know anything. (?) This is moving from the sublime to the ridiculous. I email Dean back stating I called him (not the salesman) but that he was no where to be found, and the salesman insisted on helping me. So , instead of blaming me (the customer), he might look inwards at the problem.

18. I close my email noting that contractually, he was bound to deliver the product as stated (for $45) once he charged my Visa, but that I am too busy to sue him for breech of contract. (The Printer is $4000 with tax - not cheap). I tell him I will email Canon tomorrow to advise them of my experience dealing with Headshots.

If you actually read all of this, you have more patience than me. Yes, this is the worst experience in buying camera equipment. I have a new name for Headshots, but I suspect it violates the forum rules for posting.

Last edited by Diane_P; 2009-06-15 at 08:41 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2009-08-12, 12:16 PM
Rookie

absolutely disgusting

I used to trust Henry's over the years, until my recent experience.

I bought a Canon 1D Mark III body (a ~$5500 camera) what I thought was a brand new item in the store. When I got home I realized that it was an open box item: most of the cables were not in their plastic packaging, the paper CD case was torn, missing video cable (!), and the camera has the date and time setting correctly set when I turned it on the first time. Plus, When I tested the camera in my home studio using 85mm f/1.2 lens at f/16 aperture, to my horror there was a significant amount of dust on every photo I have taken. I suspect the sensor has been exposed for awhile by some incompetent people at Henry's.

I came back to the store and I explained to them in a manner that they won't get defensive. However, they wrongly made the assumption that it was my fault and would not accept an exchange or return unless I pay a hefty restocking fee. These were the words from the store manager. I was outraged and left the store, knowing that I paid full price for an expensive open-box body with a missing video cable that should came with the camera. I will NEVER EVER buy from Henry's again, I don't care if they have a lens or body on sale. Their prices are always high anyways, I keep wondering why they are still in business. Shoddy customer service at its finest.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 09:13 AM

I have shopped there many times without problems, including two mail order items.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-05-08, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Disaster

I had worst online purchase ever with Henry’s. Even though I had no experience with them before my first deal with them is the last one for sure. I really thought they are most professional photography store in Canada but if you read my story you will agree this is wrong.
I bought an open box camcorder from Henry’s few days ago and I received the item after two days in a cookie box!!! They put the camcorder box in a cookie box! Is it what you expect from a professional?
After first shock when I opened the box I tried to charge the battery but surprisingly it wasn’t work at all. I couldn’t believe that they haven’t checked the camera before sending to customer.
After that I sent an email to customer service and explained the problem and complain about their service. Next day they replied they just mentioned that if I don’t want the camera I can return it to them. Not even a simple apology!!!
So I went to their Brampton location to return it. After about 20 minutes waiting, when I explained why I want to return it and I asked them for explanation, the lady there told me that it is not her fault and it is normal for open box item to have problem!! And she did not bother to just simply apologize for their terrible service. After all of these they told me shipping cost cannot be refunded even it is all their fault!!
Finally after some discussion they refunded me in full but how can you forget this disastrous customer care.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-05-15, 05:59 PM

Wow, I am so surprised that there are so many negatives. I also had good experience with them, and had returned stuff within their 2 weeks limit without penalties or re-stocking fees. I hope this has not changed for I always think their return policy is quite liberal.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, i7-920@3.8Ghz
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2014-02-11, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down Henrys online store

Firstly, this store used to be good, but looks like they made enough profit now and don't need more sales. I ordered a Nikon D610 online, order showed up as authorized within a few minutes on Henry's site, it also showed up on my credit card which i confirmed with my bank. I called next day at 4pm only to find that they were waiting to confirm my credit card details, strange that no one actually called me. I confirmed my details of course and paid extra for priority shipping. The rep asked me to call back for a tracking number as they have no way of emailing my tracking number. When i called back in an hour, good news was Henry's got my money, still no one had any idea when the product would be shipped. I emailed customer care, which said the product was no in stock in the warehouse, so it would be shipped (by regular mail) from Waterloo (to Toronto) and then shipped by priority mail from there. Made no sense to me, as they shouldn't charge me if they don't have stock! If im paying for priority mail, if the item can be shipped straight from Waterloo... so i asked this question" why am i waiting after paying for priority, and why can't you just ship from Waterloo to my address?" and the account manager promptly cancelled my order. However, Simon decided not to refund my money, as of today its been 5 days and Henry's still has my money, for a product they never sold me! I recommend not buying anything online from Henrys, their systems don't talk to each other, employees are unresponsive and clearly callous, and account managers couldn't care less.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2014-02-11, 04:12 PM

What sucks is Henrys changed their return policy limit from 1999 to 1499. No returns OR exchanges on anything above $1500.

This sucks a lot.

From their website

Quote:
Henry's strongly suggest that you rent before you buy.
They're trying to extort photographers into renting equipment before they buy something. This isn't fair, as renting both isn't cheap nor is it convenient as not all stores stock rental gear across the line of camera makers. Now all of a sudden a $1699 lens becomes a $1999 lens when you want to rent it for the week to try it out.

It's also troublesome if you have problems and want to exchange, as the majority of professional equipment are deemed to be "registered" upon purchase.

Quote:
Once registered these items will not be refunded or exchanged as new. Professional items will be considered as used trade-ins and will be valued as such.
So you buy a lens, 2 days later you discover that it will not focus to infinity and there's a legitimate problem with the lens. Henry's will NOT exchange this lens, even two days post-purchase.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2014-06-06, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Angry never again !!!

after buying a camera and several lenses from Henry's. i decided to buy a telephoto sigma lens from them for an upcoming Alaska trip. About a few weeks after i bought it, i discovered it wasn't working, no autofocus, and rattling inside. I brought it back only to find out Henrys does not honor the warranty and had to ship it to Sigma for 4-6 weeks return time, past my departure to Alaska. Very disappointed. I explained to staff and they showed no concern whatsoever and basically said too bad.
Funny thing was i almost bought an alternative lens at Costco but my family convinced me to pay a bit more to support the "little guy" who might care a bit more. HA!! Now I have to buy another lens (this time at Costco) rather than go without it. I wasted 430 dollars at Henrys so:
NEVER AGAIN!!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2014-06-06, 04:15 PM
Veteran

I use Henry's like I use Best Buy. I find what I want there and then get the best deal online. I always call back with my best price to see if they'll match it...they never have...

FWIW, I've found the best place to shop for camera deals is Amazon....usually free shipping.

Tags
henrys , retailer , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in