Review: Kromer Electronics - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 8 57.14%
Somewhat Satisfied 5 35.71%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 1 7.14%
Extremely Dissatisfied 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: Kromer Electronics

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Kromer Electronics.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:
  • What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 10:03 PM

Extremely satisfied. (Hope I don't get anybody who works there in trouble). Walked in to look at front speakers, Explained my set-up to the salesperson, who assured me he could sell me a really nice set of speakers and make a nice commission, but that I really wouldn't be happy and that I would be much better off going to a competitor and completing my existing set. Is this integrity or what?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up Also told to save my money.

I went to Kromer in Toronto on Bathurst St. wanting to upgrade my car fm radio to pull in Buffalo clearly and to eliminate the static I get in the Rosedale Valley Road. (The road is low and behind a wall of hi-rises.) The salesman told me there was nothing satisfactory I could do to improve the reception. I was amazed, but thought next time I want a big-ticket item I'll check them out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-06-04, 10:02 AM

I have used them a few times. Got an insurance related stereo replacement and car alarm installed back in 98. Excellent work. I must say... their installers are honestly top notch... clean work, very clean.

They seem to NOT want to sell you things which are garbage, ask them a frank question, they respond with an honest no-bs answer. Very refreshing. Getting some more work done this week in my new vehicle (actually, the same alarm installed into it and power door locks / wireless), I'll update if I remember but I don't expect anything less than stellar.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-08-03, 02:10 PM

Good product line and quite knowledgeable staff. "Feels" honest and I have been happy with advice and products purchased there.

Would shop there again if they carry item I'm looking for.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 10:24 AM
Veteran

I bought my sub there a few months ago and got a very reasonable price.

I also have been by to look at their home theatre room with the Panasonic PT-AE4000 and the SI Screens Black Diamond screen and was amazed at the combo but they frankly said that you can get the projector cheaper in the US if you want ($500 cheaper than their cost price) which I appreciated at the sake of a sale. They however suggested that I look at the Mitsubishi 6800 projector as well but I think Panny has a better reputation and the Panny projector seems to have very favourable reviews.

I recently went in to look for some newer speakers for my setup and the particular sales person didn't seem particular interested in demoing or providing info... seemed lazy and disinterested compared to the guy that sold me the subwoofer or the one that demo'd the Panasonic projector for me and offered to let me come back and see it with some of the worst and best DVD transfers and favourite blu rays which I'm still yet to action. I'll just take it as the particular sales person and not the store as a whole. I ended up picking up my speakers at EHR instead and a cheaper price I believe.

As previous poster said, if they have something that I'm interested in and it is reasonable price I don't have any issues shopping again but I may pick another sales person with better personal touch.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 08:47 AM

Got my Pio Elite 111FD at Kromer last year. Knowledgeable staff, good service and product selection. I will probably shop there again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-05-25, 02:24 PM

Looks like the end is here for Kromer.. http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...radio-to-close

Quote:
Toronto electronics store Kromer Radio to close
Published On Fri May 25 2012

Kromer Radio, a stalwart in Toronto’s electronics business for more than five decades, will close its doors next month.

“There’s been thought put into it for quite a while. It’s time,” said 50-year-old Mark Stoakes, the store’s manager for 33 years.

The family business plans to close its doors to customers on June 30 and clear out of their store, located on Bathurst St. just south of College St., by the end of July.

The store’s closure will make way for RioCan development, which bought the Kromer Radio site and a collection of other properties on Bathurst St. last year. Stoakes said his company’s “very recent” decision to close down shop was partly prompted RioCan’s purchasing of the building and developments plans for the area.

RioCan’s plans for the Bathurst St. land are not yet clear, however developers unveiled draft plans for a 139,000 square foot, three-storey development for the area last fall.

Kromer Radio first opened back in 1957, a time when Elvis Presley was topping the charts with “All Shook Up” and most televisions had black-and-white displays. The store has since sold a wide range of electronics, from radios to plasma screens.

Stoakes said the electronics marketplace has change dramatically since he first began at the shop, however Kromer Radio has long experienced strong sales and loyal customers. But the time has come to close up shop, he said.

“We’re tired,” he said. “We’ve been doing it for a long time and I think it’s always better to go out on top.”
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-05-25, 04:16 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I bought a car stereo from them, the day after I picked up my new 1977 Mercury Monarch.

Tags
kromer electronics , retailer , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in