Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

LF inexpensive speaker and sub to replace old Cambridge PC Speakers

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PCmonkey 
#1 ·
I have an old trusted decent audio white set of Cambridge Soundworks PC speakers dating back to the early 2000s that are finally starting to fade out. Pic is below

As we live in a boxed apartment and space is horribly limited, we dont have any room for placement of speakers to the side of our 37 inch Sony LCD. In fact, I have an awesome set of Mission tower home speakers and amp that are in storage due to the lack of room.

The PC speakers we have plug very nicely into the headphone jack of the Sony. It consists of two small speakers balanced on top of the tv and one SUB on the table in front of the tv. We also have an HDMI cable connected from our Shaw HD PVR box. The wife hates using the HDMI mode because she can't stand the the loud popping that occurs when switching from HDMI to SD channels.

I checked Costco and I haven't seen anything that is budget friendly and that has the ability to plug into the tv's speaker jack. I looked into Soundbars but they're quite limited or have poor reviews. We dont watch any DVDs so a Blue Ray combo would likely be a waste of money.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers including SUB we should get? Should we stick with a PC speaker combo? If so, what would be the equivalent if not better in terms of audio and bass to the Cambridge set we have?

See less See more
#2 ·
Where are you located? I have a similar set of speakers (same make and appearance but with four speakers) that have been sitting in my attic that I could give you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.