220v to 110v Stereo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

220v to 110v Stereo

Just curious as to where a stereo receiver from the UK with 220 volt / 50 hz would operate properly in North America at 110 volt / 60 hz using either a voltage converter transformer or a universal worldwide plug adapter?

Thanks for an info...

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 10:51 PM
Veteran

Probably need a step down transformer that can handle a little bit of scoots to run a stereo. Read the rear panel where it specifies the Input Voltage. Usually near the power cord. It should also mention the current and / or power consumption nearby. What does it say?

Based on that ya can find a suitable transformer to meet the requirement. Transformers are normally specified in terms of VA,
or Volts x Amps. example: A step down Transformer rated for 300 VA could handle 115 V @ 2.6 Amps on the primary side, and would output
230 V @ 1.3 Amps on the secondary side. So if your Stereo wants to run on 230 V @ 1 A u'd be OK with a 300VA Transformer.
If it ran on 230V @ 2 Amps, you'd need a larger Transformer. If it ran on less than an amp you could use a smaller transformer, so on.

As far as the frequency goes it should be fine. Internally there is probably a step down transformer for the power supply circuits. The iron core of a 50 Hz transformer is optimised for 50 Hz. So if running it on 60 Hz, it may run a little warmer than it normally would on it's design frequency of 50 Hz.
I'm not even certain this applies to all modern day power transformer designs, YMMV.

There might even be a switch on the rear panel to switch from 230 to 115 V. Mine does. Have ya looked?

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 08:12 AM
Veteran

I have seen 3 methods of handling 220 vs 110. The best is the current one where the power supply automagically works on both. I have also seen switches and some equipment required a minor interior wiring change to change transformer connections. I even have an amateur radio transcevier which requires a different power cord connection to change line voltage. It also works on 12V DC. Any equipment that can handle dual voltage should also be able to work with either power frequency, Years ago, things like turntables and tape decks would also require changing a pulley or gear to accomodate different frequency.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks majortom and Jamesk for your quick replies and great info. The receiver I'm looking at purchasing is vintage and from the mid 70's, an old Pioneer. There were no photos of the back so I'm really not able to give you too much info about it. All I know for sure is that it was made for the UK and runs on 220 volt. I'm starting to have my doubts as to whether or not it would be veasible or worth while to purchase it and have it shipped over here. JamesK statement "years ago" kind of makes me nervous too. I really love the old machine but maybe I should wait for one in North America. I wouldn't be worried about voltage and hz issues and whether or not it's going to work properly...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 10:20 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Equipment made for use in Europe is more likely to me able to work on both voltages than that in North America. However, it may require using a soldering iron to adapt. Can you find a manual for that receiver? It is possible, but messy, to obtain 240V in Canadian homes. You likely already have it in your kitchen, but you'd have to change the outlet. If you're so inclinded, you could also run in a new outlet for 240V. In homes, 240V is typically used for dryers, stoves and split kitchen outlets.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 10:56 AM
Veteran

Unless ya can confirm it's dual voltage I'd let the brits keep it.
A CD Player I have is the first model Sony CD Player ever sold,
CDP-101. Mine wasn't meant for the US Market and has a 230/115V switch
on the rear. Models sold in North America didn't (pretty typical).

A friend gave it to me in the 90's, and I fixed it up by replacing the Servo IC and a couple flameproof resistors.
This guy talks about it at this link:

http://www.adrian-kingston.com/CDP-101.htm

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 11:00 AM
Veteran

For starters, you will need a step up transformer, not step down. These are available but tend to be expensive for a good model suitable for a high powered amp. There are other types of voltage converters but I would not use them with an audio amp. If possible, get a "hospital grade" transformer.

I agree with the advice to modify the internal amplifier wiring, if possible. You may need some help from the manufacturer or a tech familiar with the internal components and circuitry. It may also be possible to obtain a replacement transformer from the manufacturer or find one that was scavenged from a used amp of the same make and model.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

The receiver I was looking at was a Pioneer SX-1250 but it was also going to cost me almost $300.00 to have it shipped to Canada. I believe I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the hassle or expense and follow majortoms advice. "Let the brits keep it". You guys sure know your stuff here and I really appreciate your advice and knowledge.

Thanks again and keep on rock'n!
Mike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 01:08 PM
Veteran

I see one on ebay for ~125 current bid. It's in texas so no AC input worries.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks again majortom for the tip. I actually bought a older Pioneer Amplifier SA-9500 with a Pioneer TX-9500 Tuner last night. It looks like I'm going to go separates with my 70s stereo idea now and add on later with the 9500 series as I can afford it and find the pieces to go with it. I already had an AKAI GX-630D Reel to Reel and a pair of original Bose 901s "series1" to go with it. Not sure if I'll keep the AKAI or look for a Pioneer Reel to Reel down the road. I also have an older pair of Klipsch kg4s but they were from the mid 80s I believe. I think I'm off to a good start and think I should be happy with it. BTW, I checked out your website and you sure do have some impressive gear and toys! Very nice indeed!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 06:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
BTW, I checked out your website and you sure do have some impressive gear and toys! Very nice indeed!
Not my site. Just pointed it out because he writes about the same CD Player I have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in