Why is there so little HD hockey on TV? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 10:05 AM

NHLCI and similar packages are on a different contract/rights level than the last post that I made. These packages are for individuals/bars purchasing games that are outside of their regional territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the details on NESN. Only remaining piece of the puzzle is a comparison of market sizes / subscriber numbers.

I stand corrected on my statement that NESN has 'no regional vs. national rights' to deal with.

There is a key difference though. Whatever Bruin games NESN has rights to, they're able to broadcast in HD. The game may be blacked out elsewhere, but at least the "region" gets it in HD. Whereas with TSN HD and Sportsnet, their regional NHL games *can't* be HD as both of their HD channels are national. That's where the extra regional hurdle comes in for Sportsnet and TSN.

Until Sportsnet and TSN find and/or finance a technical solution to segment the HD channel for selected programming (like they do for SD programs, and perhaps like NESN already does), we're stuck without regional HD hockey. Even then, they'd probably have to convince the CRTC to allow the HD channel change.

Regardless, NESN is still an HD hockey model for TSN and Sportsnet to shoot for.

Not that NESN is entirely in my good books... Last year NESN pulled their partnership with WSBK for weekly Red Sox games. That decision hurt Red Sox fans outside their region...like me. Course that's another other topic.

Back on topic, looks to me like CBC's second truck is our best bet short term for additional HD hockey in Canada. Looking forward to that!
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 05:50 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
Could Sportsnet HD blackout most regions and show an NHL game in one region? Would their license allow it?
I have wondered this as well.

As many of us know, the reason why RSN doesn't show HD games is that Canucks/Flames/Oilers games are regional, and the HD channel is national; and that RSN has only paid for the local rights to the game.

But is there anything stopping them from blacking out the rest of the country, and showing HD to the rest of us? I could see that especially being handy when two teams are involved; like a Flames- Canucks game.

Does anybody know for sure?

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't."
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 08:38 PM

Whats stopping them is the infrastructure to broadcast two HD channels at once. If they did say sportsnet HD east and west (so they had two) then they could do what you are asking, which is similar to what they do now.

Take for example sportsnet ontario has a leafs game, the ottawa region doesnt get access to this so we get to see sportsnet east for the duration of the game.

The problem is only one HD feed, and you cant replace a HD feed w/ SD. Once they have two HD feeds then they will be technically able to do what you want.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-12, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post
Maybe someone with an American dish can tell us how many HD games they have access to in a night? Will they get all 7 games tomorrow on Center Ice?
I have center ice on both directv under my chicago home and expressvu under my calgary home. If i count hdnet I get an average of 3-4 games a week on directv. Theres a lot more games under expressvu. Even with both combined I only have access to around 10 calgary games a year in hd.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 11:06 AM

Tons of HD sports, yes. Tons of HD hockey. Only if you're a Leaf fan living in Leaf country.
The rest of us frostbacks north of the 49th get to pound salt and get whatever non Leaf tidbits TSN and Canadian teams on CI decide to throw our way.

And that's the truth of the matter.
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-28, 01:32 PM

Lack of NHL HD

The most difficult issue in airing HD NHL games in Canada is the lack of enough HD Production Mobiles. Currently there are only 4 in the country. Three owned by a Private Company and one owned by the CBC. With a hefty price tag of 10 to 15 million per mobile, it is extremely expensive to shell out the capital. To recoup their investment, these trucks must be working Continent wide and sometimes it is simply a case of "you can't get there from here"
Consider that the CRTC did not mandate broadcasters to make the change to HD as the US counterparts were. We are very lucky that Networks here are proactively making the change on their own volition with great expense to their bottom line.
Currently there is a shortage of quality HD mobiles that plagues both the United States and Canada. More mobiles are being built as fast as the capital is available but realistically in this country you may see one or two added per 18 months.
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-28, 09:30 PM
Veteran

Holy crap, zornt, who do you work for?
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-01-28, 11:09 PM

zornt stated:
Quote:
Consider that the CRTC did not mandate broadcasters to make the change to HD as the US counterparts were.
There is no HD mandate in the U.S.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-02-09, 03:26 PM

With centre ice there are typically 1-2 HD games every night... most every pittsburgh game is in HD, which is awesome.

Not to mention CBC is in HD (although the second game is such poor quality that it looks like SD stretched to 16:9), as are most TSN games. I think there is tons of HD hockey.

The only one I'm disappointed with is sportsnet... I'd love to see the home teams covered in HD, it sucks watching calgary in grainy SD, and to top it off the SD channels are so much louder than HD channels, so it requires a lot of volume adjustment constantly if switching back and forth between games.
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-02-10, 12:51 AM

The second CBC game is such poor quality because it is SD Widescreen, not HD. The first, Leafs, game isn't of that great of quality either. CBC always looks darker then other networks.
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-02-10, 02:46 PM
tlb

I was going to start whining about the Leafs game being in HD tonight and the Habs/Sens game not, but then I started thinking about the logistics of all this and have come to the conclusion that there really is no alternative, given the HD resources that are available to CBC right now.

As I see it, two things have to happen in order for CBC to provided a hockey game in HDTV. First, the game has to be filmed in HD by an HD Production Mobile (truck) of which, I believe, CBC has only one. Second, the game has to be broadcasted by CBLT-DT, CBC’s Toronto station, and the only CBC station that can broadcast HDTV.

So tonight, at 7 pm, CBLT-DT is going to broadcast the Pittsburg at Toronto game. Makes sense – the Toronto station broadcasts the Toronto game. It follows then that the HD truck should be in Toronto so that the game can be filmed in HD and then broadcasted in HD. In other words, it would make no sense to send the only HD truck to Montréal for the Ottawa at Montréal game because the stations that will be broadcasting this game (Ottawa and Montréal) are not capable of broadcasting in HD !

The solution to more HD hockey on CBC is more HD trucks and more HD broadcast stations.

That's the way I see it. Please feel free to correct me if I have anything wrong here.

Last edited by tlb; 2007-02-10 at 02:55 PM.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-02-10, 04:26 PM

The solution is for the CBC to drive the truck to Montreal and show the Montreal game coast to coast.
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-02-11, 08:55 AM

TO only HD

The reason more Leaf games are available is simple......audience! There are more available viewers and Leaf fans that any other team in the NHL. Look at the attendance at every arena in the NHL when the Leafs are playing.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 2007-02-11, 09:48 AM

Yup. I think St. Louis had 6000 people last week when the Leafs were in town.

I said this before, if HNIC showed Nashville every Saturday night for 60 years then Nashville would be the most popular team in Canada.

The CBC has shaped viewers because of its Toronto stance.

Now, back on topic. If you want more HD hockey, let the NHL know when the contracts are being re-negotiated next season. HDNet has the best selection of HD hockey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.