CBC HD Hockey - Split from Official CBC Thread - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #331 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
And here is the CBC's ROUND 1 Stanley Cup broadcast schedule. It doesn't say which games will be in HD though.

I originally assumed that Premier will stay in western Canada to cover Vancouver and Calgary's home games, but they get out of sync near the end and could potentially both be playing at home on Apr 19.

Encore could follow Ottawa or it could head down to Detroit to show some of Calgary's away games (both Detroit and Pittsburgh are just under 9 hours from Ottawa and Detroit is about 4.5 hours from Pittsburgh)
you can see which games are in HD from nhl.com site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 07:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
you can see which games are in HD from nhl.com site
Where? I can't see anything listed yet.
post #333 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 07:19 PM

I think this might be what you're looking for.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Schedule

ihdtv
post #334 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihdtv View Post
I think this might be what you're looking for.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Schedule

ihdtv
thanks for posting the link...i thought clicking on/looking for "Schedule" would have been intuitive enough
post #335 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 09:23 PM
Veteran

Cool. Sorry...before, the sked didn't have the playoffs on it (like last year). I just wasn't paying attention!

Every Flames game in HD (very nice), plus a couple I'll be watching on NBC.
post #336 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 10:36 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ
Every Flames game in HD (very nice),
Close but no cigar. Game 7 on the 24th is not scheduled to be in HD. I assume CBC is betting on either this series or the Sens/Pens series not going to 7 games. If the Sens/Pens series doesn't go to 7 they can easily send Encore to Detroit.

They must be renting a truck for games 1, 2 and 5 in Detroit and game 5 in Vancouver. It is surprising that the latter will be in HD as it will only be shown in BC.
post #337 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

What an excellent improvement over the year for CBC HD Hockey. On top of finally getting two HD games on Saturdays, we can look forward to watching the best matchup in the east as both the Habs and Leafs decided to play golf. Now if CBC can get up the nerve to possibly broadcast a couple of games next year with a team other than the Leafs real progress can be made!
post #338 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyWE610Owner View Post
What an excellent improvement over the year for CBC HD Hockey. On top of finally getting two HD games on Saturdays, we can look forward to watching the best matchup in the east as both the Habs and Leafs decided to play golf. Now if CBC can get up the nerve to possibly broadcast a couple of games next year with a team other than the Leafs real progress can be made!
i heard there will be fewer leafs games on HNIC and more canucks games (not sure about the alberta teams though) next year (or at the very least the year after when the new CBC/NHL deal kicks in)..but it's definitely a step in the right direction
post #339 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 03:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
I did a quick count of the number of regular season games CBC broadcast per team this year (according to the NHL) and came up with the following totals. I don't know how many are regional vs national broadcasts, but it gives you an idea what local fans saw:

Toronto: 28
Ottawa: 19 (including one added late in the season)
Montreal: 17
Calgary: 17
Vancouver: 15
Edmonton: 15

As you can see Vancouver and Edmonton are being short changed. If by removing some Toronto games and adding some additional regional games they can get the minimum up to 20, I think that would be pretty good.

If I remember correctly, most of the regional games were either Ottawa or Montreal since the Toronto game was always the National game. If by occasionally not showing Toronto they can show Montreal and Ottawa nationally more frequently (currently they are only shown nationally when they are playing Toronto, visiting a western team, or playing in the afternoon), they will free up capital for showing more western games regionally.

I suspect the main reason the NHL reduced the number of Toronto games they are giving to the CBC is to give them the flexibility when sheduling to not have Toronto play every Saturday night. In return I hope the CBC will be able to show more games with two Canadian teams nationally.
post #340 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Remember that many of the Ottawa games included the Leafs. If you took out all the Sens games broadcast that didn't involve another Canadian team then the number is pretty small.
post #341 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown47
Remember that many of the Ottawa games included the Leafs.
That is true.

Quote:
If you took out all the Sens games broadcast that didn't involve another Canadian team then the number is pretty small.
I counted again and the 19 Sens games were divided as follows:
4 against the Leafs
3 against the Habs
4 against the Sabres
2 against the Bruins
1 against the Hurricanes
1 against the Lightning
1 against the Rangers
1 against the Thrashers
1 against the Flyers
1 against the Islanders
So that is 12 games that didn't involve another Canadian team, which I don't think is very small.

Considering that this year the Sens played 19 games against other Canadian teams, I think the fact that the CBC showed 7 of them is pretty good. I would like to see more games against the western Canadian teams, but with only 2 games (per team) every 3 years, there aren't a lot of games to work with.

If you throw A-Channel into the mix you will see that of their 20 Sens games, they showed:
2 against the Leafs,
2 against the Habs,
1 against the Flames, and
1 against the Canucks
So that is a total of 13 of the 19 games against Canadian teams were shown OTA. Not bad!
post #342 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 05:23 PM
Veteran

roger1818, you have a lot of good info here. This is a CBC thread so I would conclude that from the CBC's point of view, they need to do a better job in spreading the Saturday night games around to other Canadian teams in the league.

My solution is to give them first dibs on a Saturday game and if they don't want it then let someone else broadcast it. If its a US game then just show the US feed...like they did last Sunday with the Devils/Pens game.

So lets talk about CBC HD games...I'll bet the CBC has shown more Leaf games in HD than total Sens games...
post #343 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown47
If its a US game then just show the US feed...like they did last Sunday with the Devils/Pens game.
Do you mean the Devils/Islanders game? How did CBC get that? TSN was scheduled to broadcast it.

Quote:
So lets talk about CBC HD games...I'll bet the CBC has shown more Leaf games in HD than total Sens games...
Of course. That is a no brainer. CBC was scheduled to show 24 Leafs games in HD and they ended up showing 26. Next year I am sure it will be 28.
post #344 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Yes sorry I meant Devils/Islanders and by "they" I meant TSN.....showing that any broadcaster can do this.
post #345 of 974 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 07:21 PM
Veteran

They probably could do it, but I suspect that it is a pride issue. Hockey is Canada's game and CBC is Canada's network so therefore they feel that no one can do as good a job as they can.

I think a reasonable compromise would be for the CBC to cover the national games and for them to join forces with an American broadcaster for the regional games.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.