Setanta in Canada (General Discussion) - Page 42 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #616 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-06, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Setanta on Rogers will never ever ever look like a HD signal as the initial signal is poor and no amout of up-converting will make it any clearer. You're just kidding yourself, unless of course you work for Setanta ;-)
Well then, my wife and I, according to you, must be deluding ourselves to say nothing of all our friends being incapable of discernment. The Kuro, as a matter of fact, does a better job than my 5.5 year old Sony LCD HDTV, but I still wouldn't accuse the original signal of being of poor quality, judging by the upconverted results on both HD TVs. I have no complaints about the PQ of Setanta whatsoever.

If you had taken the time to read my previous postings on Setanta you wouldn't have resorted to calling me a supporter of Setanta, let alone being employed by them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #617 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-07, 03:34 PM

Agreed, Setanta's own picture quality as good as any sd. Some loss of quality occurs when they show someone else's transmission e.g. Sky, BBC etc and the loss can vary from very little to significant. No pattern at all.
Robin
post #618 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-09, 04:03 PM

"Sports broadcaster Setanta has been accused of holding terrestrial TV to ransom in a row over the highlights to England games. The company, only available to subscribers, bought up the rights to all England's World Cup qualifying away games.

But it has sparked fury after refusing to do a deal for a highlights package on free-to-air channel, like the BBC, unless it gets a bumper pay deal.

England's game against Andorra at the weekend did not get a terrestrial window after no deal was done. Now tomorrow's crunch game in Croatia is almost certain to go the same way with Setanta said to have slapped a £1million price tag on the game."
post #619 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-09, 07:14 PM
Veteran

I guess that's what happens when you let foreign companies take control of what should be a national holding. They have no interest, etc., in doing what is expected and right.

At least they have the option of purchasing the channel to watch the game. Here Sentanta didn't air it on the $$ channel until 2 days later, and the charge was an outlandish $25 just to watch the single game on the day it happened!
post #620 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 02:36 AM

I never did get to view the Andorra v England game. I checked all over Setanta's TV PG and came up with nothing. Setanta gave me the impression at the start of the season that since they had bought the rights to all England away games those games would be made available (LIVE) to their subscribers. They're starting to live up to the suspicions I had about them when they first arrived on the scene. Incidentally, nfitz, here's the UK's Daily Mail web site for further commentary on the subject:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...d-England.html
post #621 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp View Post
I never did get to view the Andorra v England game. I checked all over Setanta's TV PG and came up with nothing. Setanta gave me the impression at the start of the season that since they had bought the rights to all England away games those games would be made available (LIVE) to their subscribers. They're starting to live up to the suspicions I had about them when they first arrived on the scene. Incidentally, nfitz, here's the UK's Daily Mail web site for further commentary on the subject:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...d-England.html
The 'live' coverage blurb is direct from Setanta in the UK for when the channel is just taking the UK feed of the channel. The Andorra game was shown at 19h30 ET on Monday here and the Croatia game will be on at 19h00 ET on Friday...most of the other games are on live or on short delay....I think the England games are shown in footie pubs here in Canada for $20 + entrance fee...I use the following website to figure out which games are on when.

http://frasm.sasktelwebsite.net/footie.html

So far it has been very accurate...all times are eastern...they tend to only list the 1st time the game will be shown.
post #622 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 05:49 PM

Will all england home qualifying games be live on setanta canada then?
post #623 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 12:32 AM

No. They will have "a selection of live and exclusive home matches involving the England team".
post #624 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 12:46 AM

Does anyone know why they aren't showing the Tri Nations finale live? It will be on Saturday, but delayed almost 24 hours.
post #625 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
Does anyone know why they aren't showing the Tri Nations finale live? It will be on Saturday, but delayed almost 24 hours.
Most likely because it's being played at 3.05 am Pacific Time and they probably figure they'll get a bigger audience at noon Pacific. That's only a nine hour delay, not 24. I'd imagine they'd also like to avoid running into the Man United v Liverpool coverage which begins at 4.30am.
post #626 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Junior View Post
Most likely because it's being played at 3.05 am Pacific Time and they probably figure they'll get a bigger audience at noon Pacific. That's only a nine hour delay, not 24. I'd imagine they'd also like to avoid running into the Man United v Liverpool coverage which begins at 4.30am.
Okay. I found a start time of 10:05 am on this site Tri Nations Rugby - Fixtures which I thought would have been prime time Friday in Eastern Canada. I was wrong.

You're right. With the 8 pm local start time it would overlap with Liverpool vs Man Utd, hence the delay.

Last edited by SportsFan; 2008-09-12 at 03:40 PM. Reason: mea culpa
post #627 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 03:23 PM
Rookie

That start time is 10:05 GMT.

Which means 6 am eastern. That's a little early for those of you on the West Coast I would say.

I'm looking forward to watching it though. I'm just glad that there is finally a place to get consistent rugby on tv in Canada.
post #628 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 02:49 PM

I guess Setanta did not renew their rights for Le Championnat football from France. I'm not a big fan but I'd watch it if there's no Spanish match on. Yesterday there was a match listed live for RDS yet there was nothing on Setanta. In fact the French season usually begins in mid-August and I'm yet to see any of it on Setanta.
post #629 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
I guess Setanta did not renew their rights for Le Championnat football from France. I'm not a big fan but I'd watch it if there's no Spanish match on. Yesterday there was a match listed live for RDS yet there was nothing on Setanta. In fact the French season usually begins in mid-August and I'm yet to see any of it on Setanta.
I believe you're correct. There is no mention of Le Championnat in their list of coverage on the website.
post #630 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
RDS is showing Le Championnat? I missed that. When is it on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.