Setanta in Canada (General Discussion) - Page 35 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #511 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-06, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
The France-England friendly will be PPV. Fox Sports World is the usual place for England friendlies, either taped or live. They had England vs Switzerland in February.
Sometimes the live coverage is on PPV and a few days later either Setanta or Fox Sports World Canada show it. If it is on Fox Sports World Canada it may have to interrupt Ultimate Fight League, Girl Racers, John Oakley or repeated showings of the Fox Sports Report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-07, 12:46 AM

Well, Setanta really did it up fine this afternoon. I must admit that originally I was interested in watching the Fiorentina v Everton match, but since I was unable to find that match on the PG, I settled down to watch the Tottenham v PCV fixture. Lo and behold, up comes "World Pool Championship" while the heading still showed "Soccer" throughout. And if the switch being made on the Setanta channel was bad enough, it was exactly the same on two other separate channels.

Whoever orchestrated that kind of substitution ought to have his head examined, and to think we pay $15/month for this kind of subterfuge. There ought to be a law !
post #513 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-07, 05:25 AM

You must mean Rogers Sportsnet. They put up an announcement that the Spurs-PSV "broadcast has been delayed by the host broadcaster" and showed it later.

Setanta had the less appealing Anderlecht-Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen-Hamburger SV matches.

post #514 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-07, 08:55 AM

I was going by the Program Guide for 2.30.pm. through 3.00.pm. and all three channels were indicating "Soccer", which all turned out to be "World Pool Championship". I was so dismayed I didn't linger around to witness any announcements.
post #515 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-07, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp View Post
I was going by the Program Guide for 2.30.pm. through 3.00.pm. and all three channels were indicating "Soccer", which all turned out to be "World Pool Championship". I was so dismayed I didn't linger around to witness any announcements.
I still don't understand where Setanta fits in to all of this. They showed the two games they had been advertising all along. It was Rogers Sportsnet that advertised the Tottenham game and it was on a tape delay at 7.00pm Eastern. Maybe the program guide was wrong. I know you can't trust the Expressvu guide for anything.
post #516 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-07, 02:55 PM

You can't believe whatever Setanta puts up on the Program Guide. To add to the stunt they pulled yesterday, they will invariably show a match that starts at 2.45.pm. as starting at 2.00.pm. time slot. That's so they can submit you to their tortuous repetitive program notices. If I hear "Dynamite, absolute Dynamite !" one more time, I swear I'll turn blue in the face.

I'm going to suggest that the best way to treat the al Qaeda and Taliban captives being held at the Guantanamo detention camp in order to get them to spill the beans is to force feed them a steady diet of Setanta promos. That "music" they play all the time is way more effective than "waterboarding". They'll break down and tell the CIA where bin Laden is hiding inside of a week.
post #517 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 05:04 PM

what a load of ****! Yes the ads are boring but when a 2.45 match is billed at 2pm in my experience that is because there is a pre-match show and the ads come at the same time as e.g. the Sky ads if it is a Sky or Setanta UK production, as it usually is - same with post match when the program goes beyond the actual game. In fact I once saw a Champions League 2.45pm match where the program started at 1pm and ran with the Sky pre-match production.
Robin
post #518 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 05:08 PM

...and I should add
1. They did not pull any stunt as it was always Sportsnet who had advertised the Spurs game and Setanta showed what was always on the EPG.
2. As I understand it, it is an independent company who makes up the EPG and EV etc. pay for it.
Robin
post #519 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 05:41 PM

The website seems to be correct usually

http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/T...Schedules.aspx

Sucks that we cant set the PRV without concern though.
post #520 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post
The website seems to be correct usually

http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/T...Schedules.aspx

Sucks that we cant set the PRV without concern though.
Agreed, their schedule seems to be accurate. But if anyone has any concerns about actual game starting times, just go to the BBC Football website and check the fixture list. It's about as accurate as it gets. Just don't forget the time difference.
post #521 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp View Post
You can't believe whatever Setanta puts up on the Program Guide. To add to the stunt they pulled yesterday, they will invariably show a match that starts at 2.45.pm. as starting at 2.00.pm. time slot. That's so they can submit you to their tortuous repetitive program notices. If I hear "Dynamite, absolute Dynamite !" one more time, I swear I'll turn blue in the face.

I'm going to suggest that the best way to treat the al Qaeda and Taliban captives being held at the Guantanamo detention camp in order to get them to spill the beans is to force feed them a steady diet of Setanta promos. That "music" they play all the time is way more effective than "waterboarding". They'll break down and tell the CIA where bin Laden is hiding inside of a week.
A bit over the top I think. I'm not sure everyone is going to appreciate the "torture" analogy.

Sure the ads and music drive me nuts too, but still, it's a small price to pay for all the coverage we get.

And if the program guide isn't up to your standards, take it up with your provider. I find it difficult to believe Setanta puts one schedule on it's website (usually accurate) and supplies another to the carriers.
post #522 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-09, 06:52 PM

Well, we all know by now that "Robin100" and his "corporate we" is a shill for Setanta. I've called him on it before and he's never refuted it. You can always tell when someone is so desperate in his attempts to defend his viewpoint when he resorts to the use of crude language towards his antagonist.

I can't for the life of me understand why some, even at this point in the season, are prepared to accept and to defend this inept sub-standard operation. It's always a case of it's someone else's fault, which the average viewer would find hard to disprove, but the insiders are always conversant with the ropes. It sort of gives the game away really.

It just goes to show that we have become willing to take poor quality production of soccer programs just so long as we can continue to get a look in on the games. We pay a monthly fee for this Setanta programming, so is it too much to expect it to be of the same standard and quality as all the other programs we pay a monthly fee for ?

As the second half of a match began yesterday, it was intermittently interrupted with the usual Setanta promos but thankfully abruptly cut out, but it was indicative of the kind of irritating performances that we have had to endure. Surely it had to be Setanta doing it and not Sky or any other broadcaster that the Setanta shill would have us believe.

It really is a sad commentary on how the sport of Soccer has come to be regarded in North America. It is obviously looked upon as easy prey by people such as Setanta, who in realising the fervour and the keen interest of soccer fans in Canada, regard it as a lucrative market in spite of the fact that the same programs were previously professionally provided up and until the beginning of the 2007/08 season as part and parcel of our BEV sports subscription.

How do you think NHL or NFL fans would react if their sports were suddenly only made available for viewing by payment of a monthly fee, and their pre-game, half-time, and post-game coverages were reduced to repetitious promos and the same commercial over and over again ? Think about it, the camel has finally got his nose inside the tent !
post #523 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-09, 07:25 PM

I have an opportunity to watch Setanta US and what a difference from the Canadian version. More Sky coverage and less repetative commercials because of a full 24hr coverage.
post #524 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-09, 09:03 PM

How do you think NHL or NFL fans would react if their sports were suddenly only made available for viewing by payment of a monthly fee, and their pre-game, half-time, and post-game coverages were reduced to repetitious promos and the same commercial over and over again

Speaking as an NFL and a somewhat NHL fan I'd say all sports coverage in Canada is just as you described Setanta. I find it impossible to watch any sport on Canadian TV , whether TSN, Rogers, or CBC, without holding the remote in my hand because they constantly repeat the same commercials over and over and over and over and over...

Setanta is just a little but worse. In Canada sports coverage is just pathetic compared to every other country I've lived in. But since the vast majority of Canadians have no experience of foreign sports coverage, other than the slightly better US NFL coverage, the average fan is so used to bad coverage and the repetitiveness of the commercials that they just don't know any better.

I'll probably get Setanta back on later this week for the first time since the rugby world cup for the NRL. Back then the only commercial they had featured Padraig Harrington talking up a North Carolina golf course - is that still on permanent rotation?
post #525 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2008-03-09, 10:47 PM

You'll get no arguement from me about Setanta's poor product. I've raised it in this forum before. I've tried numerous times to get a response from them but it's a waste of time. They just don't respond.

They are certainly giving the impression that it is a totally unprofessional outfit, but until something better comes along, we're stuck with them.

I just can't figure out who's manning the switches at Setanta. Whoever it is needs some better training. If these picture probs and sudden cut-aways were a rare occurrence then fine, but it seems to happen over and over.

And yes...Padraig is still pumping up White Oaks.

Dynamite...absolute dynamite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.