Setanta in Canada (General Discussion) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-25, 04:59 PM

Ugh.....don't think for a moment that every sports league in North America won't be looking hard at that business model. And before the hockey fans can say it'll never happen, just remember that's pretty much what British football fans thought once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-25, 05:30 PM

any idea on who will be carrying it?
post #33 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-25, 05:59 PM

I don't mind paying 15$ for football as well....but what other games will setanta carry besides EPL?
post #34 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 02:06 AM

Besides we all being the losers in this, BEV is also going to feel the pinch. If I have to pay $15/mo to watch what I have viewed for free all these years, then the $15/mo is coming out of what I am now paying BEV each month. Oh, and while we are about it, now that HDTV has finally arrived in the UK, will these matches be telecasted in High Definition ?
post #35 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibada View Post
Just confirmed from Setanta that is will be $14.99 month. The channell will launch before the start of the EPl.
Will there be a free preview period?
post #36 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 03:00 PM

On the EPL commerical floating around on The Score for opening day it says the game will be available on the score hd?? Shot in PAl format converted to NTSC then cropped to fit on the score hd??

the start of the epl is only a few weeks away, when will setanta arrive?? who will carry it??? we need answers !!
post #37 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 03:27 PM

When I talked to Setanta, they were not aware if there would be a free period. But that may be a ExpressVU thing anyways.
post #38 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 03:42 PM

Just rec'd from Setana

We will be launching our residential channel on Bell Express VU and Rogers by
the start of the EPL season (Aug 11). I'd hold off on calling the call center,
though, because they probably won't have any info until we actually launch. Please keep an eye on the websites for any updates. The channel will be $14.99 CDN per month, and the free preview time period will vary depending on your carrier.
post #39 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 06:23 PM

I really hope this is something we can pick up for the 9 months or so of the EPL season & then drop during the off season.
post #40 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-27, 11:42 AM

Great - no Shaw yet again....
post #41 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-27, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonic View Post
I don't mind paying 15$ for football as well....but what other games will setanta carry besides EPL?
Given how much better soccer looks in HD, it might, barely, be worth it if HD. But if it's another crappy SD picture ... then there's no way. Though why any sports channel would launch as SD-only in this day and age is beyond me.
post #42 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-27, 02:49 PM

Wrote Setanta this morning about when they are launching and who will be carrying them. Below is their reply:

"We are offering a PPV Sports Pack on Rogers, Bell and Cogeco starting August 11th.

Shaw have been informed and offered the same terms etc but have not come back to us. Frankly it might be 6 months before they take us or then may change with pressure. Funny lot shaw."

Since I'm on Shaw it looks like I may be without except for the once a week game on the Score (and we don't get Score HD either)...

Got a further response on whether HD or SD:

"SD 95% of the product is not made for HD as Europe is not far down that road Only 100,000 homes in England even have any HD for example out of a universe of 10 million."

Last edited by thefly; 2007-07-27 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Further information
post #43 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-27, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
Wrote Setanta this morning about when they are launching and who will be carrying them. Below is their reply:

"We are offering a PPV Sports Pack on Rogers, Bell and Cogeco starting August 11th.

Shaw have been informed and offered the same terms etc but have not come back to us. Frankly it might be 6 months before they take us or then may change with pressure. Funny lot shaw."

Since I'm on Shaw it looks like I may be without except for the once a week game on the Score (and we don't get Score HD either)...

"SD 95% of the product is not made for HD as Europe is not far down that road Only 100,000 homes in England even have any HD for example out of a universe of 10 million."
That's interesting considering that ALL the football/soccer games produced by Sky are in HD
post #44 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-27, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post

So what's the scoop.

We are getting a Setanta Channel for $14.95 a month or we are getting PPV sportspack?

Or are they one and the same?
post #45 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-07-27, 10:04 PM

Quote:
If I have to pay $15/mo to watch what I have viewed for free all these years,
What's wrong with me ? I never received anything free from BEV. I was paying all along for the Soccer on TSN Channels and Fox Sports Network. Does anyone know the story behind how this turn of events came about ? Why for instance last season both TSN and FOX offered us just about all the English FA games and more, and then along comes this Spanish outfit that wants to be paid exclusively for just those same games ? I wouldn't mind but we have seen this happen a lot in the last 30 years. A real roller coaster ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.