Setanta in Canada (General Discussion) - Page 29 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #421 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-10, 08:14 AM

Hi Polaris,
What do you mean by shocking? I don't see where you're coming from. To me, the pre-and post match programs are way ahead of any Canadian one e.g. yesterday we had 1 hour build up to the Arsenal match and about 30 minutes afterward with Macca and Ferdinand which I thought pretty interesting. So, as I say, what is it that is "shocking"?
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-10, 06:54 PM

heh, well perhaps exagerated a bit, but I am comparing to what I have seen from BBC And Skysports broadcasts when I have been in the UK. Sentanta is closer to cable access than it is them. Picture quality is overalll quite poor, quality if the studio announcers isnt all that interesting, on screen graphics are behind the times.

The commentators are quite good though; seems they just picked them up from Sky or BBC anyway, or whoever lost the rights to Sentanta in the UK.
post #423 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-11, 08:17 AM

This Guardian post compares Setanta vs. Sky to Hatton vs. Mayweather.

"At first glance Setanta Sports News looks like a market stall Chinese knock-off Sky, a weak facsimile with chip-shop lighting and Atari graphics."

Perhaps we'll get a chance to make the comparison ourselves when Setanta switches from PPV and expands their programming.

post #424 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-11, 03:56 PM

A good comparison can be seen right now. We have Champions League matches on Sentanta, TLN, and TSN at the same time.

The Sentanta PQ is HORRIBLE. There are artifacts all the time. It looks about the same as the Real Video coverage was. I get better performance from 800mb AVI files that are transcoded on my PC and then outputed to my PS3 for playback.

Good thing the football is big enough that I can make it out still! It this was a puck, we'd be out of luck!
post #425 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-11, 05:43 PM

Well, maybe I'm less discerning but I find the Setanta picture fine, and I have HDTV. I have always held the view that Setanta's PQ transmissions of Sky games is a little bit poorer than their own direct coverage - for example, the late Saturday and early Sunday EPL games have as good a PQ as any. Also, I'm pretty sure today's Setanta matches were actually from Sky who cover all games and this was certainly the case 2-3 weeks ago, the night when Liverpool played Porto. Watched only the Liverpool game today(and on my SDTV!) so can't comment but 2 weeks ago I found Setanta Champions League to be better than TSN - Champions League PQ from within Europe I often find to be poorer than from UK itself so that may also contribute to today's comment and my view a few weeks ago.
I do agree that Sky sets the standard for the others and is No.1 in UK. but our comparisons have to be Setanta v Canadian coverage and not v Sky as Sky is simply not an option. For the range of what we get I still believe $4 a week represents good value - apart from other impending offerings we have Liverpool v Man Utd Sunday, Carling Cup Blackburn v Arsenal and Chelsea v Liverpool next week and Arsenal v Spurs the first Sat game after that.
Just enjoying what I am getting.
Robin
post #426 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-12, 12:44 AM

Does Setanta actualy show Sky Sports productions, with Sky Sports graphics, of the Champions or Premier League?

Setanta uses their own feed of the matches they produce for the UK, but I thought they used the international feed of the other Premier League matches.

I think UEFA produces all the Champions League video (except for HD).

Can the poor picture quality be attributed to your provider?
post #427 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-12, 09:20 AM

I believe they do. Some games have the Seyanta logo at the bottom of the screen and the Sky one at the top, and this includes some of the rugby we see just now. A few weeks ago (the night of the Liverpool game) the program started at 1 pm and was the Sky show right up to when they asked you to press the button of your choice. There was a bit of flickering then the Liverpool game came on, as promised. The Saturday 10am game we get via Setanta Ireland but the first game is Sky and the last is Setanta as well. Next week is Carling Cup and if you watch closely I expect these to be Sky transmissions. Some may be from an international feed but Sky definitely involved as well. Way I see it is we get the best of both worlds. In UK games are specific to Sky or Setanta, with Sky having the majority whereas we get both through Setanta who musy have some international agreement with Sky.
Robin
post #428 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-12, 09:27 AM

Anyone know when the full Setanta programming is going to start? Last I heard it was 'December or January' but all deathly quiet since then. The Setanta Canada website is very late in updating this time as it is usually at least 10 days ahead. Wondering if there will one day just be a seamless change to the full program using the same channel number and delay is because this may be close to happening and don't want to put effort needlessly into a set of programs which would be quickly out of date.
post #429 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-12, 06:15 PM

The Champions League game they showed was an ITV broadcast.

I have an HDTV and HD box also, all set up properly.

I was comparing to TSN and TLN, so they are domestic comparisons. Perhaps the original source is to blame but the game on was in London (Chelsea - Valencia) so Im not sure.

The case I reported about was an obvious difference in quality. The EPL matches are better usually I agree.
post #430 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-13, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post
The Champions League game they showed was an ITV broadcast.
That could be a cause of degraded picture quality. ITV produces the broadcast in PAL and Setanta has to convert it to NTSC.

I think UEFA produces for both NTSC and PAL.
post #431 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-13, 09:38 PM

Setanta Canadian Schedule

Did a bit of digging and came up with this.

http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/T...Schedules.aspx

Looks like this might be the schedule site for the new Setanta Canada
post #432 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 10:10 AM

Yes, found this earlier this week as well. E-mailed Setanta asking if this was the 'precursor' to the full channel and what now was the expected launch date. No response - anyone have anything at all other than 'December or January'?
post #433 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Junior View Post
Did a bit of digging and came up with this.

http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/T...Schedules.aspx

Looks like this might be the schedule site for the new Setanta Canada
What's new about that?

This is the same link that jgvp posted Nov. 10, and the programming doesn't seem to have changed.
post #434 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
What's new about that?

This is the same link that jgvp posted Nov. 10, and the programming doesn't seem to have changed.
well excuuuse us for being so ignorant

So sorry we wasted your time
post #435 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-12-20, 01:32 AM

Chelsea-Liverpool Carling Cup match wasnt so hot looking. Maybe this is the PAL conversion issue but they need to do a better job. It looks like a mid grade P2P internet stream.

When 800mb DIVX files look better on my TV than a TV Channel, something is wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.