Setanta in Canada (General Discussion) - Page 24 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #346 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
Strange, Setanta Canada shown an ad that you can access to highlites of the Rugby World Cup on the Bell mobile phone(not Rogers who are partners with Setanta). Any news about when Setanta Canada will start showing soccer shows?
Their Canadian schedule shows a live program called "Football Saturday" this weekend at 11am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 05:14 PM

Last year I think Rogers showed 3 games, FSC had 1 or 2. All the EPL games were there....Sentanta had one as PPV last year on Sundays I think? I didnt notice ever not being able to see a certain match at was televised.

Im not complaining so much about that, more about the RWC being so poorly presented and the pricing of it. The Sentanta commentators are also unprofessional (using 'we' when referring to Ireland?). Also, likely not their fault, but the EPG being wrong has meant missing the one broadcast of several matches. Rogers re-ran the RWC matches 2-3 times in 2003. Sure the ratings were poor, the time zone didnt help.

Before Sentanta, we had most of this coverage. TSorry, but I dont have time or the interest to watch English 2nd div football so that is worthless to me. They havent raised the bar much, just packaged it on one channel and are charging 500% more for it.
post #348 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Last year I think Rogers showed 3 games, FSC had 1 or 2. All the EPL games were there....Sentanta had one as PPV last year on Sundays I think? I didnt notice ever not being able to see a certain match at was televised.

Im not complaining so much about that, more about the RWC being so poorly presented and the pricing of it. The Sentanta commentators are also unprofessional (using 'we' when referring to Ireland?). Also, likely not their fault, but the EPG being wrong has meant missing the one broadcast of several matches. Rogers re-ran the RWC matches 2-3 times in 2003. Sure the ratings were poor, the time zone didnt help.

Before Sentanta, we had most of this coverage. TSorry, but I dont have time or the interest to watch English 2nd div football so that is worthless to me. They havent raised the bar much, just packaged it on one channel and are charging 500% more for it.
Not correct at all. We did not have the 1st choice 10 am matches and all the extra matches on delay (except for one on FSWC). Nor the Sunday early match or the extra Champions League matches

Remember Setanta did not outbid Rogers it was The Score who bought the EPL and then sold off games for money to Setanta

Last edited by Kloraff; 2007-10-05 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fixing quote.
post #349 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-09-28, 03:59 PM

I see now on the sched there is a "motor racing" event from the netherlands listed Monday morning at 9:00 EDT. Nice to see they might be offering euro ralley stuff too?
post #350 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-09-28, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post

Here is my comparision of what we had last year compared to this year - since I watch the EPL I'll focus there:

EPL

Last year we had 3 games on Rogers. 1 live and 2 delayed. On Monday we had 1 on FSWC.

This year we have 3 live games (between Rogers & Setanta) and the rest of the games from Saturday on tape delay. We also get all of the games on Sunday, Monday and any other midweek games live on Setanta.

Cup Games

Last year we got some FA Cup games (beginning in the 4th round) on FSWC. This will continue this year.

This year we also get some of the Carling Cup games live and tape delayed on Setanta.

Champions League

Last year we had 4 games per week on TSN. 1 live and 1 tape delayed on each of Tuesday and Wednesday.

This year, in addition to the TSN games we get 2 additional live games and up to 8 tape delayed games on Setanta.

International

Last year there were no international games.

This year we have seen 4-6 games live and tape delayed on Setanta.

I am quite impressed with the coverage so far and as Robin pointed out, this will only get better as magazine shows are added once they get CRTC approval and with the additional of more cup and international games next year.
post #351 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-09-29, 07:42 PM

The coverage is very good but what i hate is that Setanta Canada show the same TV commercials in a continuing loop.
post #352 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-09-29, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
The coverage is very good but what i hate is that Setanta Canada show the same TV commercials in a continuing loop.
Same here, but I guess because it's a ppv offering, and they don't have any other shows [news/mags] right now...they don't really have a choice...I did see a good one for Ginnis earlier.
post #353 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-04, 03:34 PM
Rookie

Does Setanta have the Canadian rights to EPL coverage? I ask this because I don't see any EPL matches on the Fox Sport World sched.
post #354 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-04, 04:20 PM

yeah, Sentanta, Rogers, and the Score have the EPL rights.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/ is the best place I have found to check all matches available.
post #355 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-04, 05:47 PM

post #356 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 03:46 PM

Just here to vent that my $15/month is not good enough to see the RWC knockout phase live on TV. I cant even get it on PPV, not that I would because I bet its like $20 per match.

Thank you to file sharing, however.
post #357 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Just here to vent that my $15/month is not good enough to see the RWC knockout phase live on TV. I cant even get it on PPV, not that I would because I bet its like $20 per match.

Thank you to file sharing, however.
Any idea how soon the files will appear on the file sharing networks - I am assuming that you mean BitTorrent? The England - Oz game should be finished by 11 am. Would the files show up immediately afterwards or will it take a few hours? Either way it should be faster then watching it the next day on Setanta. England - Australia is an ideal matchup for file sharing as it would likely have the most viewers, at least the most English speaking, of any matchup in the RWC - other countries like NZ, Wales, Scotland have far smaller populations. More viewers = more bittorrent seeds = faster downloads.
post #358 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 01:18 AM

Hard to believe in this day and age you can't get live coverage of a world cup event.
/me smashes head against desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #359 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I cant even get it on PPV, not that I would because I bet its like $20 per match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
Hard to believe in this day and age you can't get live coverage of a world cup event.
/me smashes head against desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Rugby World cup is available live on EVu, Rogers, Shaw and probably some other systems too. It's on Pay Per View. The price is too high for me, though.
post #360 of 1420 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 01:43 PM

Depending on which tracker, the torrent will be up as of about now or a few days later. Aussietorrents.com will have it the earliest usually...my account lapsed I found out a few days ago so I cant access the torrents now :/

I havent noticed the PPV for Rogers....what channels are sports PPV?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.