Sportsnet frustration - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-03, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs down Sportsnet frustration

What the heck is going on at Sportsnet? Their HD schedule is looking pretty thin these days; in fact, there's nothing listed after the NASCAR race on Nov. 6, no indication anywhere on their site as to whether they'll be carrying any NBA games in HD, no word yet on CHL hockey in HD, and why couldn't they make an effort to do tonight's AHL game from the ACC in HD. We already know they won't be producing any NHL games in HD because of the regional nature of their rights and the the HD channel is national. We already know they won't be doing any Raptors' home games in HD because it seems the pinheads who run the ACC are still stuck in the 1990s.

It is becoming extremely frustrating to be stuck on the sidelines as HD sports coverage explodes south of the border yet seems to be slipping backwards up here: two years ago, Sportsnet did all their Raptors home games in HD, now, nothing; Raptors TV HD is approved, yet won't be broadcasting any of their Raptors games in HD either; TSN is making a token effort with 27 NHL games in HD, yet they choose to show the SD feed of other games they have the rights to and are being produced for other markets in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 08:27 AM

I'm sure that doing an AHL game in HD is financially challenging. Especially when it's on vs. a Leafs game.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 09:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels Stewart
... no indication anywhere on their site as to whether they'll be carrying any NBA games in HD, no word yet on CHL hockey in HD, and why couldn't they make an effort to do tonight's AHL game from the ACC in HD. .... .
I think what you are seeing is that they are going after the sports that actually draw a decent audience. Their numbers for the NBA, CHL, and AHL must be pretty tiny compared to the numbers they get for NHL hockey.

I guess the NBA season started the other day but I have not heard one thing about it. It goes to show you this is a hockey country and definately not an NBA hotbed.

-Darryl
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 11:47 AM
Veteran

I could be wrong, but I think Raptors NBA TV has the rights to the NBA in Canada. I think Raptors TV cut a deal with Sportsnet last year, for Sportsnet to show all those NBA games (including HD games on Sportsnet HD).

But, since Raptors TV now has its own HD channel, they are keeping all NBA games to themselves this year. Maybe it's a smart play by MLSE. Leafs TV will get a bunch of subscribers this year because they have 12 Leaf games. And Raps TV will get a bunch of subs this year because they have all basketball.....more importantly...all HD basketball.

But I am only speculating.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9
I could be wrong, but I think Raptors NBA TV has the rights to the NBA in Canada. I think Raptors TV cut a deal with Sportsnet last year, for Sportsnet to show all those NBA games (including HD games on Sportsnet HD).
Raptor's TV doesn't have the rights. Sportsnet still shows additional NBA games on their East, West, Pacific channels.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/...dDate=20051109

10:00p.m. ET NBA on Sportsnet - New York @ Portland 10:00
10:30p.m. ET NBA on Sportsnet - Sacramento @ Denver 10:00

Quote:
But, since Raptors TV now has its own HD channel, they are keeping all NBA games to themselves this year. Maybe it's a smart play by MLSE. Leafs TV will get a bunch of subscribers this year because they have 12 Leaf games. And Raps TV will get a bunch of subs this year because they have all basketball.....more importantly...all HD basketball.
If I take what Sportsnet is telling me as the truth, then the Raptor's have 2 rights the SD rights and the HD rights. The SD rights were sold, while the HD rights were not.

The biggest problem is that Raptors HD isn't available outside of ExpressVu.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 03:57 PM
Veteran

That explanation makes as much sense as any. John Shannon was on the CHurck Swirsky show today and again no one asked him anything about HD Leafs or HD Raptor games. I'm talking about tiimeframes. This year? Next year? Maybe this HD thing isn't as big as it is in DHC.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 04:18 PM

I think there are a lot of NBA games out there, but Raptors TV has the rights to the TNT Thursday night doubleheaders exclusively. These are in HD and were shared with Sportsnet last year. NBATV also produces HD games and since Raptors TV is their affiliate, they must get first crack at that as well. I don't know if there is any other regional HD content that Sportsnet could pick up.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs down

I just found this in a canoe.ca article from 2003:

Quote:
John Shannon, considered by many in the broadcast industry as one of its most innovative executives, agrees with Beeforth on what HDTV will bring to hockey.

"As great as we think we cover events in this country -- hockey in particular -- we don't give real justice to what it's like to be there," Shannon said. "And HDTV is closer to being there."

Shannon, who heads up the broadcast arm of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., said that teams such as the Leafs and NBA Raptors as well as the fans will benefit from the introduction of HDTV broadcasting.

"The reality of what teams expect out of television is growing at the same rate as the technology side of sports," Shannon said. "As a result both the teams and the fans will share the benefits of high definition television."

Shannon believes that closed environments like the ACC -- home for both the Leafs and Raptors -- make HDTV work better for sports.
So what's the deal, Mr. Shannon? Here we are, two years later, and MLSE is STILL not producing any HD. Not exactly the kind of innovation we'd expect to see from one of the broadcast industry's "most innovative executives." Now that there are THREE broadcasters with HD stations accessing MLSE's production facilities for games out of the ACC, perhaps it's time for Sportsnet, TSN and Raptors TV to exert a little pressure on MLSE management to get into the 21st century. It is absolutely shameful that EVERY broadcast out of the ACC these days, whether for the Leafs, the Raptors, the Rock or the AHL team isn't available in HD to broadcasters, should they have the capacity to transmit them as such.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 12:24 AM

Signed up for *C a while back and feel I was sold crap.
Sportsnet HD broadcasting HD Basketball. The *C guide claimed the game was HD. Watched the season opener. 4:3 upconvert.
Don't bash the U.S. - Bash the CRTC and the poor quality of Cdn broadcasters.

If you advertise something you should be forced to deliver or apologize and refund the $ or find some way to make it right.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 01:34 PM

Quote:
...Now that there are THREE broadcasters with HD stations accessing MLSE's production facilities for games out of the ACC...
The television facility in ACC is used for the big screens in the arena. Broadcast production from ACC is done using mobile trucks. TSN and Sportsnet usually rent Dome Productions' trucks while CBC uses its own. U.S. broadcasters rent Canadian trucks or bring in one from the U.S. I have seen three trucks covering one game for different markets - a Canadian sports network, ESPN (national U.S. coverage) and a broadcast station in the U.S. team's home market.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs down

Quote:
TSN and Sportsnet usually rent Dome Productions' trucks
Yet email inquiries to TSN and Sportsnet regarding the demise of HD basketball from the ACC, and the lack of HD hockey always come back with the blame placed at MLSE, and MLSE replies stating they just don't think it makes financial sense for them to do HD. Someone is selling us swampland here.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 03:00 PM

this is just insane that we had tnt thurs double headers in hd last year but now they are looking like they are not going to be available (im on shaw)...we truly are moving backwards for nba fans in canada...pretty sad...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Yet email inquiries to TSN and Sportsnet regarding the demise of HD basketball from the ACC, and the lack of HD hockey always come back with the blame placed at MLSE, and MLSE replies stating they just don't think it makes financial sense for them to do HD. Someone is selling us swampland here.
I forgot that MLSE is producing the games now so they pay for the truck rental. HD trucks are more expensive to rent than SD trucks and MLSE doesn't get an immediate financial benefit from HD coverage. CBC practically owns the rights to NHL hockey in Canada on Saturdays so they get to use their own truck and do their own production.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs down

Quote:
MLSE doesn't get an immediate financial benefit from HD coverage.
This is where Bell Globemedia and Rogers should be stepping up to pressure MLSE to get in the HD game, so their sports channels can offer bonafide HD broadcasts on their HD channels. And while the financial benefit from HD may not be immediately apparent right now, it's all about protecting viewership and building future viewers; with so much HD programming available, if it ain't in HD, it ain't on my radar, and that includes live sporting events. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment; once you've become accustomed to watching HD, the PQ of most SD broadcasts is a sight for sore eyes. And with so many HDTV's being sold these days, there are plenty of fresh eyes out there waiting to be won over with glorious HD broadcasts. And besides, it's not like the Leafs and the Raptors have a whole lot else going for them these days, being able to promote their broadcasts as being in HD should win them viewers who might not otherwise bother...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2005-11-12, 05:29 PM

Just thought I would mention I saw a commercial for NBA on Sportsnet last night and they did say "select games available in HD". Whether they were just blowin smoke, time will tell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.