FIFA World Cup in 4K? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

FIFA World Cup in 4K?

Does anyone know if we'll be able to get the World Cup in 4K on Bell or Rogers this summer? Seems like it will be recorded in 4K and available on BBC and other networks, but not sure if the Canadian networks will be picking it up.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 09:51 AM

Bell Media has the exclusive Canadian media rights to the FIFA World Cup package through to 2026, so it will be shown on TSN and CTV. I don't know if that includes the 4K rights, but if it does, it will be shown on all the providers that carry TSN 4K, which include Bell Fibe TV and Rogers in Ontario.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 11:31 AM

I can't imagine why TSN wouldn't use their 4K channel for the World Cup, but this is also an organization that hasn't released any information about their broadcast despite other networks getting it out months ago.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 01:21 PM

TSN did not show a minute of Winter Olympics in 4K. It's now less than 2 months to the World Cup, and no information is available. Not just about 4K, but pretty much anything. I'd be shocked if we see 4K channel(s) being used.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 07:07 PM

@753951 CBC held the Canadian rights to the Olympics and I think it was their decision to not use any 4K feeds.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 09:19 PM

Right, CBC. I'm feeling much better now

As of now, in the Western hemisphere, only Germans will see last 25 matches in 4K, because only Sky Germany has announced that they acquired rights (basically sub-lease from ARD and ZDF).

In UK, ITV, and co-share BBC, do not have available 4K terrestrial distribution, only test via BBC iPlayer.
In US, Fox is coy, just like right owners in Canada. In my opinion, if they had any plans to do so, they would announce it with drum rolls.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone. My fingers are crossed, but I’m doubtful it’s going to happen. I was so excited to see 4k after the last World Cup teasers too.

It seems like there’s a reluctance to rebroadcast all 4k sports (I.e. Prem League, F1, Masters, etc). The only thing they like are sports they film themselves. Thoughts? Thanks again!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-04-17, 09:58 AM

TSN had the 4K feed of The Masters Amen Corner for the previous 2 years.

CTV and TSN Hit the Greens for Complete Live Coverage of THE MASTERS, April 6-9

It looks like there may something weird going on with The Masters 4K feed this year.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/news/a...in_4k_hdr.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.