Official 2018 F1 Discussion Thread - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-11, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I'm still contemplating subscribing. My main concerns are:

-how synced is the timing/team radio and other information going to be to the TSN broadcast. I don't really want a delay between one or the other. If the team radio/timing info is delayed, it can be adjusted by playing with my PVR, but I bet it is the other way around where the TSN feed is delayed and you can't pause the team radio/etc.

-the lack of historical races (I was hoping for races from 1985 and earlier - I've seen most of the rest live). I was also hoping that you could watch a whole season (say 1971) with footage put together from various sources, post-race interviews and reports from various archives. I would also think since Bernie started his TV service in the 80's (FOM or FOCA TV?) that they would have all that archived coverage (even though early races only had 2-3 cameras, or host broadcasters covering the race with whatever they had).

-all the documentaries I've seen over the years on YouTube (maybe not legally, but they have appeared there).

-it would be great to have all the SKY shows that we don't get available. And other shows from around the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-11, 12:59 PM
Veteran

I was wondering about timing and radio too. If you start the race late because it's 3am and you PVR it, can you start the timing data and team radio accordingly? Or is that live only?
post #123 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-11, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
I was wondering about timing and radio too. If you start the race late because it's 3am and you PVR it, can you start the timing data and team radio accordingly? Or is that live only?
You can pause the live timing and move to a particular point in the race and qualifying sessions.
Tridus likes this.

post #124 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-11, 03:06 PM

About all the timing stuff that was already available before under the F1 Access package (now F1 TV Access), it is only available live (no PVR) when you use F1's website. The data is around 10 seconds ahead of TV (TSN, RDS, NBC, ESPN, Sky, C4, etc.). On the app, you can get it live (with PVR) and onDemand.

About the historic content, documentaries and shows, it's simply a question of time before everything is available. We just need to give FOM time to digitalize all that stuff and put it online. It can get few years. FOM's plans is to put all the content they have online (all the races since early 1980s). By the way, highlights from every race since 2002 is available alongside the 72 full races between 1997 and 2017.

I've read back in March that a service like F1 TV normally takes 18 months to build and at that time, FOM had only start working on it since 6 months (8 months now).
post #125 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-11, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

As I can't watch the next couple races live, I was just thinking $4 isn't much for a few races. If I time it right, I can get Canada, France, Austria, and Britain all in June/July for $4 to give it a good test.
post #126 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-11, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post

Other notes not mentioned above - F1 race replays and F2, GP3, and Porsche replays are available 7 days after the event. We're not the worst (14 days for some countries) but some have it immediately after the event, or after midnight.
I think full race replays are 14 days after in Canada as well. Other sessions are 7 days.

The Azerbaijan full race is still not available - only extended race highlights and other sessions are currently available.
post #127 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-13, 12:26 PM
Veteran

TSN cut the post race off early today for more Sportscenter.
post #128 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

The live/replay feed isn't as good as it can be on F1 TV.

The video is the FOM feed - for the 90 minutes of pre-race it was no audio, with the odd driver interview in the parade. When they were lining up the grid, they cut in the SKY audio, but was still the "world feed". So, basically you heard Martin Brundle doing his gridwalk, Ted Kravitz in the pits, with random video.

During the race, it was the SKY feed, but still the "world feed" video. So, anytime SKY cut to interviews, their own cameras, or their own graphics, replays, they were not shown but they were discussing them.

Disappointed that the post-race interviews on the podium are gone. Thought it may have been a one off in Baku, but looks like they are scrapped. No more Shooeys...
post #129 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 11:52 AM

Post-race interviews are still there, it's just done in Parc Fermé now (same for F2). I think the FOM don't want to give few minutes to the drivers to cool down before giving their first thoughts on the race.

Not having interviews on the podium will not stop Ricciardo to do a shoey. Their's no podium interviews in MotoGP and Supercars and it didn't stop Jack Miller and David Reynolds to do it.

FOM need to have their own commentary team like in F2 and GP3. That way, everything they say will "fit" with the world feed.
post #130 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-18, 05:43 AM

FOM has already added more races to F1 TV Archives. A total of 100 races is now available with a few from the 1980s now.
Inglewood and ottvee like this.
post #131 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-18, 08:12 AM

Highlights of the Barcelona Porsche Supercup race on TSN2 at 3:30pm ET today
post #132 of 132 (permalink) Old 2018-05-18, 09:30 AM

Even though the full session replays are delayed 7 days, I find the highlights that are available right after to be pretty good. They are not the 2min ones they post on Youtube but around 10 min - which is a decent recap for qualifying.
Inglewood likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in