RIP Sportsnet World NOW - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-14, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

RIP Sportsnet World NOW

August 7th will be the end of Sportsnet World Online. I wonder what will happen to all the FA cup, Bundesliga and Euro qualification games that are not available on TV.

It says on their page: "At this time select content will be added to Sportsnet NOW". So, it's either a really good news or bad news. The good part could be that all the contents will be moved to SN now.

The bad news could be that no more Bundesliga or FA cup games available unless they show one or two games a week on TV.

FYI, fox soccer to go in US changed their platform and they have even Bundesliga 2 and no premier league, So I don't quit understand why SN World couldn't survive !!!

What will happen to the actual channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-14, 09:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool View Post
FYI, fox soccer to go in US changed their platform and they have even Bundesliga 2 and no premier league, So I don't quit understand why SN World couldn't survive !!!
SN World Now was $25/month. That price is completely divorced from reality, and seemed deliberately set up to fail.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-14, 10:00 PM

My guess is that a lot of the streaming rights got scooped up by DAZN. DAZN is an OTT streaming service owned by Perform Group that is rumoured to be launching in Canada in a few months. They operate in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Japan.

Related links
Bloomberg article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nsion-j53kybeq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAZN
NFL and Perform Group Enter into Strategic Media Relationship
THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Comes to TSN, CTV, CTV Two, and RDS - Bell Media

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-14, 11:39 PM

Greatly exaggerated death rumours ...

I received this by email on 5th July:-

Quote:
We have a very important announcement regarding Sportsnet World NOW to share with you.

As of August 7th, 2017, the Sportsnet World NOW service will be discontinued. At this time, select content will be added into the Sportsnet NOW service.

If you wish to purchase a subscription for the upcoming season, you will need to sign up for a new SN NOW account.

WHAT WILL I GET WITH SN NOW?

Better value. With the two products combined into one, you get all of your favourite sporting events in one spot, without having to spend more money.

All your favourites. Sportsnet NOW will be taking the biggest matchups from around the soccer and rugby world. In soccer, this includes 190 Premier League games and all broadcasted matches of the FA Cup; key matches from the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers; every game of Bayern Munich, as well as other key Bundesliga matchups. In rugby, this will include all games from the European Champions Cup, European Challenge Cup and weekly matchups from the AVIVA Premiership.

Additional content. In addition to soccer and rugby, you will be getting access to everything Sportsnet NOW has to offer. This includes over 500 NHL games, the entire Stanley Cup Playoffs, every Toronto Blue Jays game, MLB playoffs, over 140 NBA games, plus much more.

More ways to watch. Sportsnet NOW is accessible on more devices, including desktop, iOS, Android, Xbox One , 4th generation Apple TV and Chromecast for Android .
If you have any questions about this news, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

For more information, or if you would like to begin the sign-up process for Sportsnet NOW, please visit www.snnow.ca.

Sincerely,
The Sportsnet World NOW team
I see it as very good news. The double $25 per month whammy was not acceptable to me. A combined product with much of the same content, much more palatable.
Tridus likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-15, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

DAZN is an interesting company but I wonder what are they going to show since Sportsnet, TSN and Bein hold the rights to all the leagues.

For people who got the email, can you provide SN World email plz.

Here are some concerns remaining:

1. SN Now will have to be updated since in their sports part there is no Soccer only NBA, NHL and MLB.

2. What does Key matches from Bundesliga mean? Besides Bayern, Dortmund is the only other key team !!!

3. Bye bye Scottish premier league ?

4. Will there be On-Demand option available for the games?

5. So the price will stay $25 ?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-15, 12:27 PM

The email came from now@sportsnet.ca
but has a link to reach them at nowsupport@sportsnet.ca.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-15, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool View Post
DAZN is an interesting company but I wonder what are they going to show since Sportsnet, TSN and Bein hold the rights to all the leagues.
I thought the news that Sportsnet World NOW is shutting down and that DAZN is coming to Canada came out on the same day were linked and that DAZN had outbid the broadcasters for rights as they have done in other countries.

The email that @Obed posted makes it sound like Sportsnet will retain most of the rights. DAZN could launch NFL Game Pass as a standalone service or use it as the basis for a slightly wider offering that includes games in other sports where the Canadian broadcasters don't have the exclusive streaming rights.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-15, 05:22 PM
Veteran

Since DAZN currently operates in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Japan, I suspect most of its programming will emanate from those regions. There may be some unlicensed content still available in Canada but I don't see Rogers or Bell letting go of their current offerings. They are far too lucrative for that to happen on any kind of scale.

Chances are that Sportsnet World NOW was under-performing or having two similarly named services was confusing for subscribers. Rogers is likely folding the content into Sportsnet NOW in order to build that service. Next up, a price increase for Sportsnet NOW once it reaches critical mass.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-17, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

what I dont understand is that Rogers paid for Bundesliga and why wont they show all the game online?

SN Now just updated FAQ :

Is Sportsnet World available in Sportsnet NOW?
No. Sportsnet World content isn’t available for customers who purchase directly.

If you are a television subscriber to Sportsnet World, then it will be available to you in Sportsnet NOW, unless you are on Bell. Bell does not currently have an agreement to stream SN 360 and SN World online for its customers.

-------------------------------

Soccer
190 Premier League matches, all broadcasted games of the FA Cup, select Bundesliga matchups and 2018 FIFA™ World Cup qualifiers.

So, no more buying just SN World online unless you have the actual channel, isn't this a bit different that what the email promised?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-20, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

@ Dr.Dave I think you might be right about DAZN.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-20, 03:51 PM

I was reading this as good news until @liverpool 's post reminded me that Bell for some moronic reason doesn't have authentication setup for SN360 and SN World.

Also, Sportsnet obviously going the cheap route by only offering select Bundesliga matches and no doubt getting a discount on their rights by doing so.

EDIT: Just logged into NOW with my Bell credentials and SN360 seems to be actually streaming, which makes me wonder whether SN World does also.

-

Last edited by 57; 2017-07-27 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Language
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

So DAZN didn't get any rights from Sportsnet or TSN so far, but they do have the same soccer coverage as BEIN Sports Canada. I guess Rogers and TSN holds the digital rights for Premier league and Bundesliga which I was hoping they can offer digital subscription for it.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 01:06 PM

I know that TSN GO has the EPL on demand after each game, therefore, I assume they own the digital rights.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Sportsnet released the Bundesliga's schedule:

Watch the 2017-18 Bundesliga season live on Sportsnet - Sportsnet.ca

They are showing every game but you need Sportsnet world Plus channels and SN NOW.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-09-02, 09:30 AM
Rookie

So what happened to all the on-demand matches that were previously on Sportsnet World online? Sportsnet Now only has live content.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.