CFL 2017 Discussion Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

CFL 2017 Discussion Thread

Just thought I would start a thread for the 2017 CFL Season.

TSN will be the exclusive broadcaster for all CFL games again this season, with the season starting on June 22nd. Playoff format will be the same as the last few seasons with a cross-over possibility.

The 105th Grey Cup will be on November 26th in Ottawa.

TSN has exclusive rights for regular season games online, and in most markets is the exclusive radio rights holder.

TSN GO will have live and pre-recorded games available again this season.

ESPN will have rights in the U.S. again this season, and assume that it will carry games live until the NFL Pre-Season starts and then start relegating them to ESPN3 or other online platforms.

Pre-Season games will also appear on TSN - those games that are not on TSN may be broadcast online by the teams as in previous seasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Also wanted to add some comments on OTT packages as I have talked to both the CFL and TSN:

The CFL has no plans under the contract with TSN to offer a OTT package for CFL fans without TSN subscriptions. They essentially referred every question I had to TSN.

I contacted TSN - it took numerous attempts to get a response from someone at Bell Media. They are not interested in offering a standalone CFL package, and essentially pushed me towards signing up with a TSN GO partner for cable/satellite to receive the games online. I also asked about plans to launch a similar platform to what Sportsnet offers for OTT access, and they are not looking into offering TSN GO to non-cable/satellite subscribers in the near future.

For both the CFL and TSN, I asked to be informed if they change their minds as I would sign-up immediately for a stand-alone OTT service for the league.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 11:54 AM
Rookie

Sounds normal, the CBC may not have been as flashy as TSN but just about everybody from coast to coast could watch the games

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 01:51 PM

Is there any chance that someone living outside of Canada and the United States get to see any CFL game? CMIIW, TSN Go can not be subscribed independetly. One therefore needs to subscribe to TSN through Canadian BDU to get on-line access to CFL game.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I've tried using TSN GO outside of Canada, and it doesn't work - you would need a VPN with a Canadian address or route through a Canadian computer so the IP address works for TSN. It also locks your account and you have to reset it with your provider - major pain in the.....

However, I find that ESPN's feeds are easy to access in places like Mexico - however, not all games are available and are delayed.

I've also noticed that BT Sport in the UK has CFL games - usually a few days after and in the middle of the UK night on.

The last few seasons if the game isn't live where I am, I just wait until I get home and watch it either on my DVR or on TSN GO.

It's too bad the CFL doesn't have a service like MLB and the NHL where you can watch the games anywhere in the world without playing games with VPNs or pirate options.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 05:49 PM
Veteran

The whole problem with this deal is that Bell is using the CFL as a prop to try and get people to subscribe to TSN. I guess it's good for TSN, but it's not good for the league to tell people without TSN cable (a number that grows every year) "sorry, we're not interested in you." That is not how you get new fans or grow a business.

I mean, they don't even put the Grey Cup on CTV. It's a pretty bad deal for the long term, although I'm sure the short term money is nice.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 05:50 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo NR808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
Thanks

to Inglewood for starting this thread. I just subscribed.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 05:54 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo NR808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
Tridus: It's a two-way street. This isn't like a normal 'buy' of rights to air games. The CFL needs TSN. The agreement to air every game is costly for TSN but necessary for the league. They need the exposure. If the CFL 'wins', TSN 'wins'.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-03-01, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

@ExRobotGuy - I totally agree, but hate that I agree that the CFL needs TSN. TSN essentially is the savior for the CFL as they took the league of life support. As a fan that suffered through the US expansion, and constant threat of teams folding over the years, it has been very stable the last 5-10 years (and I think Toronto is even sorted out with ownership). Two thirds of the league also has new/newly renovated stadiums.

I also think that Toronto's ownership is based on TSN having the rights.

I've been going to Hamilton games since the 80's - to go to a game now, compared to the late 90's is not even the same experience - and I think TSN has a lot to do with propping up franchises like Hamilton.

As much as I would like CBC, or other OTA/Free broadcasts of the CFL, I'll suck it up another year and pay for cable just to get TSN for the games.

However, I am a seasonal subscriber to TSN and cable - I cut the cord soon as the Grey Cup is over.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-03-02, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRobotGuy View Post
The agreement to air every game is costly for TSN but necessary for the league.
Are you saying that Bell / TSN do not get profits out of this CFL deal?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-03-02, 11:16 PM

Profits pure and simple, I say, NO. Next is probability not fact: Bell/TSN have to air 'X' amount of Canadian content. The quality of that content will determine who and how many watch it. Advertisers pay as 'cost per thousands' of viewers. You see the dynamic at play here? It's a symbiotic relationship.

I worked a few CFL games in the 80s and know that the league is protected by TSN [ little neg. comment on-air of officials - players are told to play nice with reporters etc.]

Anyone with facts, please jump in.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-09, 05:35 PM
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-12, 10:03 PM

This thread alone tells you how unpopular the CFL is with the demographic that vists this site.

-
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 10:15 AM

This is where a true football fan goes for CFL info. 3DownNation
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

The CFL is so sad these days that as a Tiger-Cats fan I'm getting emails from the team offering discounted tickets to the CFL Eastern Finals in Toronto against Saskatchewan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.