Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Fox Sports Live cancelled; Jay and Dan to TSN in Sept 2017

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Viper550 
#1 ·
#3 ·
TSN's largest problem subscriber wise is cord cutters, and they won't be deterred by a couple of TV personalities that haven't been visible on Canadian TV for years.

Making Sportscentre entertaining couldn't hurt, but it won't change anything in the long run.

#4 ·
TSN's largest problem subscriber wise is cord cutters, and they won't be deterred by a couple of TV personalities that haven't been visible on Canadian TV for years.
That isn't technically true. Fox Sports Live was carried on Fox Sports Racing channel which is on Rogers and some other Canadian BDUs so you could watch Jay and Dan if you subscribed to a package that carried the channel.

With that said, your point is well taken.

Looks like Jay is on his way back to TSN possibly without Dan

Earlier this week we typed about Jay and Dan’s deals not getting renewed out west. Jay is heading back to TSN we’re told.
https://torontosportsmedia.com/featured-article/rumblings-of-a-sports-fan-thank-you-bernie/21896

#16 ·
It's disappointing to me that both TSN & Sportsnet, with all the channels they have don't have more sporting events. Back in the 80's and 90's, TSN had lots of odd sports like Billiards, Darts, Aussie Rules, etc. etc. on all day when North American sports were not on. Even the car and fishing shows were OK.

Slowly in the 2000's, they started airing poker, strongman contests, and more pre-produced crap. Now it is just non-stop chatter with the same story every 10-15 minutes most of the day, or TV broadcasts of radio shows.

The CRTC should amend their license to show sports, not highlights and talk shows.

All the junk led to me cutting the cord in the last year. Why pay for non-sense old highlights I can find on YouTube, hearing the same scores over and over, or a radio show I can get on AM radio?

#18 ·
Don't want to go off-topic in this thread but ...

ironically TSN appear to have dropped Aussie Rules this year. New AFL season starts in a couple of days and no sign of any broadcast in Canada. Looks like WatchAFL subscription is the way to go. Can be discussed further in a more relevant thread

#22 ·
Overnight filler - I'm sure TSN1 through 5 will air this garbage all night instead all week instead of real sports coverage. Why air a sporting event like Aussie Rules, or other international events when you can have these two jokers repeat the same nonsense about a useless pre-season NHL game every 10 minutes?

How many hours of real sports (events - not talk or highlights) does TSN even air these days on each channel?

I'm disappointed lately with the lack of real serious sports journalism. All these talking heads try to be funny and miss the mark, and try to brag about how they "predicted" things occurring months ago (e.g. "I told you back in March the Blue Jays were going to be out of playoff contention by August...etc). or try to come up with catch phrases like Chris Berman.

I won't be watching Jay and Dan anyways - never liked their schtick, and glad they will be on when I'm sleeping.

#24 ·
With how they're promoting them, I think they're positioning Jay and Dan's show as being their version of the "personality-based" SportsCenter editions that ESPN has been doing lately; they revamped the midnight edition with Scott Van Pelt (who apparently does a pretty good job), and cancelled His & Hers to put its hosts on the 6:00 p.m. edition. I'm sure they'll still produce the "final" edition of SportsCentre to rerun through the night (and maybe fill some time on TSN2 with Jay and Dan reruns).

Also, agreed. 5 channels and still nothing on. Too many hot takes, not enough sports. Even if you have to dig deep for obscure and bizarre sports (ESPNU actually did a full day of programming like that based on a single joke in Dodgeball about ESPN having an eighth channel).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.